How to disable file logs?

I’m quite new using home assistant so I’m sorry if this is a beginner question. Does anyone know how to disable file logs?

I’m running the home assistant in my kubernetes and I really don’t need the files.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no way to do this right now. There is a feature request for it so you can add yourself to that.

Even for non-kubernetes users this file is mostly superfluous. In HAOS or supervised installs its a requirement to use journal logging so everything is in the systemd-journal. And container users generally have their own logging strategy (like yours). The only ones who might actually need it are users on a core install so I guess it would be nice to leave an option for them.

EDIT: Actually I guess that FR I linked has a creative workaround in the comments so you could try that, haven’t tried it myself:

Thanks Mike, it works.

I was expecting something I could add to my configuration so I could easily rebuild my environment in case of disaster.

Dropped my upvote there :slight_smile:

Just FYI for those who ended up here. This solution doesn’t work if you are using kubernetes :frowning:

I’m migrating my HA instance into kubernetes and ran into this problem too. I ended up with a different workaround, so I’ll leave this here for others:

TL;DR There’s a slightly hacky way to disable logging to disk in the core container, but you’ll have to build your own wrapper image.

I found that HA will skip logging to disk if the log file path isn’t accessible, so I took advantage. I’m now passing --log-file /non-existant-path/home-assistant.log at startup. HA prints an error about the bad path, but otherwise runs normally, as far as I can tell, without logging to disk.

Unfortunately the HA core container doesn’t provide a way to pass custom command line options, so this also requires building a wrapper container. That’s a bit of a hassle if you aren’t set up for it, but for those who are, here’s my entire Dockerfile:

ARG IMAGE_TAG=2023.12.4

FROM homeassistant/home-assistant:${IMAGE_TAG}

# disable logging to disk
RUN sed -i 's|--config|--log-file /non-existant-path/home-assistant.log --config|' /etc/services.d/home-assistant/run

Partial startup logs (showing the the “access denied” error, which can be ignored):

s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully started                                                                                                                                                  
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: starting                                                                                                                                                              
services-up: info: copying legacy longrun home-assistant (no readiness notification)                                                                                                                        
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started                                                                                                                                                   
2024-01-01 12:22:38.728 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Unable to set up error log /non-existant-path/home-assistant.log (access denied)                                                                    
2024-01-01 12:22:38.729 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Config directory: /config                                                                                                               
2024-01-01 12:22:38.791 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded homeassistant from homeassistant.components.homeassistant                                                                         
2024-01-01 12:22:38.792 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded persistent_notification from homeassistant.components.persistent_notification                                                     
2024-01-01 12:22:38.800 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up homeassistant                          

I’ve been running this way in kubernetes for a few days now, and haven’t noticed any issues.

Why wouldn’t you simply:

logger:
  default: critical

You definitely want to know about critical warnings.

I want logs, I just don’t want them on disk. HA also writes logs to stderr/stdout, and that’s what Kubernetes expects – there’s first-class support for viewing/collecting stderr/stdout logs. The file on disk is redundant, and eats up space on the container filesystem.

1 Like

I ended up setting --log-file /config/logs/home-assistant.log and then mounting in a emptyDir to /config/logs to get around this. The logs still get written but are deleted upon container restart.

Hi,
I got the same issue here.
On my side the workaround found is to redirect /config/home-assistant.log to /dev/null in the docker compose:

volumes:
      - /dev/null:/config/home-assistant.log

The file will be present on the disk but will stay empty (That’s what I was looking for)