How to get the max temperature for the day? I want to automate my HVAC

I’ve got my HVAC system integrated into Home Assistant and have the thermostat card working.
One thing I’d like to do is automate my system to switch to AC mode if the day’s max temp will exceed 80F. Below that, I like to either key it fan only mode, or heat with a really low temp since we can manage the temperature manually with windows and doors being open.

At first, I thought I’d do this in Node Red, but it seems like just way too much work there, when this should be simple in HA automation. However, I need to get a sensor that tells me the day’s max temp but I’m not figuring out how to do that.

I have DarkSky integration working, but as we all know, DarkSky is eventually going away so I’d like to move away from that. What am I missing in how to get a weather forecast and the max temp for the current day?

Hoping someone can point me in the direction!

I kind of feel like you’re trying to reinvent the wheel. You must already have a smart thermostat, if you can connect it to HA. Why not just use the features that are already built into it?

If it was smart enough I wouldn’t be doing this :slight_smile:

More seriously though, it’s a Mitsubishi system that lacks any type of smart intelligence like I’m describing.

However, it does have m an API to allow control through their app which is how this integration with HA is even possible.

This control is completely basic:

• change modes
  • change temp
  • program a schedule

There is an other integration for weather: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/met/ this will give you an Entity that has forecasts, but not sure it has enough info for current day max.
Seems other people tried something similar though: How to automate based on weather temperature forcast for current day?