How to give different (less access) on a user base

i just mentioned it to make sure you dont do things for the wrong reasons :wink:

ok, my yaml skills arenā€™t that great so there are people on here that can give you a much better answer here. but here is a shot. syntactically itā€™s not all right, but it gives someone a starting place I think.

- alias: heaterOn
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: input_boolean.heater_switch
      state: 'on'
 condition:
    - conditions: and
        condition: state
        entity_id: switch.heater
        state: off
        for:
          minutes: 15
        add template condition here for temperature
  action
    - service: switch.turn_on

- alias: heaterOff
  trigger:
 condition:
   - condition: state
     state: on
     for:
  action
    - service: switch.turn_off

Will try it.

But it will not go off immediately after going on?

It should wait 15 minutes, but like I said, the syntax isnā€™t correct, I was doing it from memory.

Edit: Undeleted. I originally deleted my post because I found issues with it that I couldnā€™t resolve on the fly The automations below will not work as desired. Iā€™ve undeleted it for completeness of the thread.

@Danielhiversenā€™s suggestion below may be the best solution for you. However if the max desired temp is reached, it may continue to run until the time limit is also reached if you use the min_cycle_duration. I also believe it doesnā€™t have a max_cycle_duration, which means it will continue to run beyond your 15 minute target if it hasnā€™t reached target_temp.

@turboc, The trigger you have here will only trigger when the input_boolean is toggled on and the same for your off automation. These would only run one 15 minute cycle then stop because they are waiting for the input_boolean.heater_switch to change state again.

@anon35356645, I worked through the goal and think I have a solution. These two automation checks for the input_boolean, switch.heater state both on and off for 15 minutes, and your temperature sensorā€™s state above and below your settings.
Anytime, any of these change, it will trigger the automation and flow through the action service_template to decide if it should be on or off.

1. The last trigger needs to be populated with your temperature sensorā€™s entity id and the min and max temps.
  2. The first two elif statements need to have target_value replaced with your numerical target high and low temperatures.

- alias: Heater on auto temp
  trigger:
      to: 'on'
        for:
          minutes: '15'
      state: 'off'
        for:
          minutes: '15'
    - platform: numeric_state
      entity_id: your temperature entity_id sensor.temperature
      above: 22 your maximum temperature
      below: 19 your minimum temperature
  condition:
    - condition: state
  action:
    - service_template: >
        {% if trigger.to_state.state | float > target_value %}
        homeassistant.turn_off
        {% elif trigger.to_state.state | float < target_value %}
        homeassistant.turn_on
        {% elif states.switch.heater.state == "on" %}
        homeassistant.turn_off
        {% elif states.switch.heater.state == "off" %}
        homeassistant.turn_on
        {% endif %}

- alias: Heater off with boolean
  trigger:
      to: 'off'
  action:
    service: homeassistant.turn_off

Let me know if you have questions. Iā€™m certain there is a better way to do this and is is untested but I think is should do what youā€™re trying to. It would be great to hear this works for you.

Thanks will try

why you cancelled it?

I would recommend using a Generic Thermostat https://home-assistant.io/components/climate.generic_thermostat/
And set the target temperature from automations.

1 Like

Sorry, Thought I had found an issue yesterday that I couldnā€™t fix. I looked it over again and canā€™t see the issue I thought I saw. It may work.

Edit: Iā€™ve notice the issue with my post above. If you float text it will return 0.0 and then when it is compared to your min or max temp it will always return true. If any of the non-numerical triggers starts the automation, the template will use the that trigger and compare against your target temps.

Like I said, I knew it had problems. :slight_smile: I do all that type of automation in AD now so Iā€™m very rusty with my YAML. Thanks for stepping in and providing better guidance.

Iā€™m not very good at templates yet but I like a challenge. I have not tested this so it may have errors but I think it might fit all of your requirements. You will need to set your min and max temps on the input_slider. You will have to replace everywhere it says sensor.temperature with your temp sensorā€™s entity_id. It would be great to hear if this works for you or if youā€™ve found another solution. Best of luck.
Edit: Updated code to one automation and removed bugs

input_slider:
  - target_temp:
      name: Target Temp
      min: 10
      max: 27
      step: .5

input_boolean:
  heater_switch:
    name: Heater Switch
    initial: off
    icon: mdi:thermometer-lines

automation:
  - alias: 'Heater on auto temp'
    trigger:
        to: 'on'
        for:
        to: 'off'
        for:
      - platform: numeric_state
        entity_id: sensor.temperature
        above: '{{states.input_slider.target_temp.state | float + 1}}'
        below: '{{states.input_slider.target_temp.state | float - 1}}'
    action:
      - service_template: >
          {% if 
            (states.sensor.temperature.state|float) >= (states.input_slider.target_temp.state|float + 1) or (states.input_boolean.heater_switch.state == 'off') %}
          homeassistant.turn_off
          {% elif
            ((as_timestamp (now()) -as_timestamp (states.switch.heater.last_updated)|float) >= 900) and (states.sensor.temperature.state|float) <= (states.input_slider.target_temp.state|float + 1) and (states.input_boolean.heater_switch.state == 'on') %}
          homeassistant.toggle
          {% elif 
            ((as_timestamp (now()) -as_timestamp (states.input_boolean.heater_switch.last_updated)|float) <= 1) and (states.input_boolean.heater_switch.state == 'on') and (states.sensor.temperature.state|float) <= (states.input_slider.target_temp.state|float + 1) %}
          homeassistant.turn_on
          {% else %}
          homeassistant.turn_off
          {% endif %}
1 Like

thanks a lot, will try it out