How to install HA on QNAP

HomeAssistant in docker on my qnap is very stable.

Hi,

I would like to install HA on my Qnap NAS too.
With the documentation available on the website, I am sure I can install it.
But I donā€™t fully know how to set everything up with Duckdns and LetsEncrypt etcā€¦

Can anybody help we get on track?

Thanks!

hi, was anyone able to get HomeKit to work with their setups

share tutorial:

Hello everyone, Iā€™ve HASSIO installed on LXC container, but Iā€™ve problem with Xiaomi_aqara gateway someone have same problem?

Hi All

How do you upgrade your Docker, QNAP Container HA version ?

QQ: Iā€™m running HA in a docker container under Container Station; using Host for the network and Iā€™ve mapped a host folder to /config.

When it comes to upgrading, what do people do (exactly) to update the above configuration?

Is it the exact docker command line in the guise, or do we have to do something different ?

I can confirm this tutorial works for me when migrating from Hassio on Pi. I am using TS-453Be. However, my Aeotec Z-stick doesnā€™t work on the USB port at the back of the NAS. I have to use the one in the front to get it work. My other CC2531 Zigbee stick works fine on any USB port. Just remember to do step 3 of the tutorial to pass the ACM devices to the LXC container

I got an error on the build-in sql database after restoring from Hassio snapshot. Delete the HA database and let HA to rebuild a new one. Works fine after that

Just installed HA on Qnap TS453pro without a hitch but I cannot use the web interface using 192.xxx.xxx.x:8123.

Can anyone advise what I need to do? I am new to HA so I am very much a beginner.

Thanks

What is your network config of your container? Host or NAT or Bridge?

It was set as NATā€¦but on seeing you reply I changed to HOST and viola I have it working ā€¦thanks!

I would avoid using host as some hassio add-on may have conflict with the ports that are used by the NAS.

I set mine as bridge so the whole Hassio ecosystem has its own IP address.

1 Like

To upgrade Home Assistant on my QNAP, I run the following commands:

docker image pull homeassistant/home-assistant:latest
docker stop <container name>
docker rm <container name>

The above commands will pull the latest image for HA, stop your existing HA container, remove your existing HA container. The you need to create it again using the new image.
I personally run the command below:

docker run --name hass --restart always --net=host --privileged -itd -v /<path to your config directory>:/config -e TZ=Europe/London --device /dev/ttyACM0 homeassistant/home-assistant

Note: Before running the steps above please ensure your existing HA configuration directory itā€™s outside the container or you will loose everything!!!

Hi,

As Iā€™m trying to build on what people have shared so far, to help me, and others, Iā€™m creating another guide for QNAP -like @nikno, but capture the exact steps/setting used from the above so I can be sure itā€™s set up in a way that allows it to be - a) accessible to easiliy configure the config files, and b) itā€™s straight forward to upgrade whenever a new HA released comes outā€¦

Go into Container Station and click on Create (from the management menu on the left), under IoT there is a tile for Home Assistant

I can see this item from above, various comments

Create Container

1) General Settings

Command: < Anything specific to add here?>
Entrypoint: < Anything specific to add here?>
Auto Start: < Yes - thatā€™s a given I guess >
CPU Limit < Iā€™m going with 50% - How much is suitable ?>
Memory Limit: < Iā€™m going with 2Mb - How much is suitable ?>

2) Advanced Settings

Environment: < Anything specific to add here?>
Network: < Iā€™m going to try Host (to keep the IPs down) but any preference ?>
Device: < I donā€™t have any myself, - but taken this from thread above>

Shared Folder: < Taken the following from thread above>

3) Click Create

you should follow my instruction

Hello, if I select Host It appears to me this error:

hosst

why?
what can I do?

Hi guys,

Iā€™ve installed HA as detailed in one of the links above and everything works correctly.
Iā€™ve encountered with few integrations that I donā€™t have access to install, for instance, Lifx Cloud, and Switcher, which are available for installation through the regular HA version.

Any ideas on how I can install these integrations?

Regards,
Ziv

Hi, try to get HA run aon my QNAp but i got stuck.
I followed this guide: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/
The container starts up but stops after 1 or 2 seconds.
I tried some other docker appliations. They run well.

CPU: Annapurna Labs Alpine AL314 Quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 Cores)
RAM: 2GB
Image:
Docker - homeassistant/armhf-homeassistant - latest - e2895d54aaad - 1009.75 MB - 2020/09/24 01:32:04
I tried the ā€œstableā€ image too.

Container Config:
Item Value
Name HA
Entrypoint /init
Auto start Enable
CPU Limit 75 %
Memory Limit 512 MB ( i tried the maximum also)
Environment GPG_KEY=E3FF2839C048B25C084DEBE9B26995E310250568
LANG=C.UTF-8
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
PYTHON_PIP_VERSION=20.2.3
PYTHON_VERSION=3.8.5
S6_BEHAVIOUR_IF_STAGE2_FAILS=2
S6_CMD_WAIT_FOR_SERVICES=1
S6_SERVICES_GRACETIME=60000
WHEELS_LINKS=https://wheels.home-assistant.io/alpine-3.12/armhf/
variable=TZ
value=Europe/Berlin
Network Mode Host
Volume from host
Host Path Mount Point
/HA /config

Console:
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
: Unsupported system page size
Fatal Python error: _PyRuntimeState_Init_impl: Canā€™t initialize threads for interpreter
Python runtime state: unknown

[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scriptsā€¦
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

See the logs here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Qffhu46yrqQZiBLeCLyWSjo5lFA72Kg7?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance

i found this one: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/13655
But iĀ“not familiar with adding the settings:

Jemalloc can be disabled by passing environmenatal variable DISABLE_JEMALLOC with non-null value, e.g -e "JEMALLOC_DISABLE=true"

I have a 671. The trouble with using a VM on it with Virtualization Station is you canā€™t easily get USB devices into the VM. Their Container Station wasā€¦ not something I found comfortable to setup/use. The 671 is, at least, an Intel-based system, unlike some of the others.

Right now I have my initial attemp at using HA on a VM running on a separate Linux box. I can pass USB directly into it, but have not as yet made the effort as little of my automation requires a USB dongle. If/when I decide to make more use of HA my plan is to be ready to move it onto itā€™s own hardware, to avoid any virtualization headaches. The resource demands are pretty light for an automation controller. Any old refurbed ā€˜tiny pcā€™ would handle it easily. IBM/Lenovoā€™s Tiny series are good for this, especially if you run them with SSDs and no spinning disks. That or a fanless mini-pc.

So while I could run it on the QNAPā€¦ I donā€™t.