How to Integrate Lutron Aurora Dimmers With Home Assistant

Oh that is unfortunate, at least there is a known difference. It would be nice if there was a setting to change the behaviour.

What a bummer.

I’ve got the Nortek that has all of my devices working with it already, but did pick up a ConBee II in the event that this was the news we’d get. So now my question is how difficult it is to migrate entities across sticks. Is there a way to do it where I won’t lose all of my entity ID and name configuration?

I asked this same question and unfortunately not. They are based on 2 different chips. I believe if you try to migrate to something based on a few of the TI based chips you can backup and restore your paired devices. My guess would be that you would still have to reassign your entity names anyway…but at least you wouldn’t have to do the unpair/pair dance. REALLY not looking forward to the pain of migrating sticks but my gut tells me I’ll have to do it at some point anyway and the pain will only get worse with time.

Disclaimer: everything above is based on my limited knowledge and what was relayed to me by devs in discord. Please take with multiple grains of salt.

Hmm. I guess that’s where I get a little confused then. How do you see the sequence? Shut down the device, unplug the Nortek, plug in the ConBee, start up the device…then what? Or do I have that sequence wrong?

The Conbee is not the same chipset as the Nortek so so would need to do the unpair/pair dance. You are essentially starting from scratch with the added pain of unpair first. It’s not going to be fun if you have a lot of devices.

How are you all using Zigbee in HA, ZHA or deCONZ? Started reading about deCONZ but haven’t found enough details about the benefits.

Zha…only chose that because it’s HA homegrown and assumed it would always be supported. Works great for me and my device types.

Just wanted to chime in - these Aurora dimmers with their latest firmware are not compatible with the Nortek HUSZB-1. They do work fine with the Conbee II, or a TI stick.

The auroras send their attribute update to a random group - the Nortek will ignore that frame as the coordinator is not a member of that group.

1 Like

Just got my Nortek HUSZB-1 setup yesterday after deciding on it over the Conbee 2. Guess I made the wrong call but oh well. Switching to Conbee 2 once it arrives.

I assume it would be pretty easy to use the press action to switch the dimmer function to color changing, right? How are others controlling color with this switch?

Just an update for others looking to use the Lutron Aurora with either the Nortek stick or the Conbee2:

I finally decided to migrate all my zigbee devices over to the Conbee 2 (via the ZHA integration). It was a real PITA re-pairing all my devices but well worth the effort…especially with regard to the Aurora Button/Dimmer. It now registers all events every time and I was able to make the automation below to control the lights in my daughter’s bedroom. Works PERFECTLY!!

alias: Button Lutron
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: zha_event
    event_data:
      unique_id: 'aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff:11:22:1:0x0008'
condition: []
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data:
      brightness: '{{ trigger.event.data.args[0] }}'
    entity_id: light.bedroom_lights
mode: single

The unique ID is the same as highlighted in the pics in the OP.

3 Likes

Just adding my $0.02 here. I finally got mine doing something useful as well via Node Red (also with a Conbee 2). It now works flawlessly to toggle the light and dim it. Thanks @kmclaughlin for the initial work.

Here is the Node Red sequence:

[{"id":"fe1dd0a2.2575b","type":"server-events","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"zha event","server":"e3837e76.d43c8","event_type":"zha_event","exposeToHomeAssistant":false,"haConfig":[{"property":"name","value":""},{"property":"icon","value":""}],"waitForRunning":true,"x":80,"y":900,"wires":[["dcd0dc7d.645c68"]]},{"id":"dcd0dc7d.645c68","type":"function","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"Dining Room Dimmer","func":"var dimmerId = \"ff:ff:00:0f:e7:fc:b8:13:1:0x0008\"\nvar eventId = msg.payload.event.unique_id;\nvar state = msg.payload.event.args[0];\nvar onOrDimmed = msg.payload.event.args[1];\nif (eventId == dimmerId){\n    if (onOrDimmed == \"7\"){\n        return [msg,null,null];\n    }\n    else{\n        msg.payload.dimmerNumber = state;\n        return [null,msg,null];\n    }\n}\nelse{\n    return [null,null,msg];\n}","outputs":3,"noerr":0,"initialize":"","finalize":"","x":320,"y":900,"wires":[["b9dbe1f3.769848"],["6ee3feea.799468"],[]]},{"id":"c7dad2b.b949a3","type":"comment","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"Zigbee Event Processing","info":"","x":130,"y":820,"wires":[]},{"id":"b9dbe1f3.769848","type":"api-call-service","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"Toggle Dining Room Table light","server":"e3837e76.d43c8","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"light","service":"toggle","entityId":"light.zha_dining_room_table","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":630,"y":860,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"6ee3feea.799468","type":"api-call-service","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"","server":"e3837e76.d43c8","version":1,"debugenabled":true,"service_domain":"light","service":"turn_on","entityId":"light.zha_dining_room_table","data":"{\"brightness\":\"{{payload.dimmerNumber}}\"}","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":590,"y":920,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"e3837e76.d43c8","type":"server","name":"Home Assistant","addon":true}]

Can you also connect them directly to a zigbee light?Without a stick/hub.

did you have to do anything special for the button press (7) ?
I could not get the button press to work reliably or even show up in the event listener all the time. I had to add a check to see if the brightness/state was 2 then turn off (set to zero)

1 Like

Are you using the conbee2 or another stick for zigbee?

Using the GoControl HUSBZB-1 for Zigbee and ZWave
Haven’t had any other issues.

So I have followed all instructions, connected the dimmer to my conbee II (using deconz) but when I go to my events nothing shows up under “zha_event”
Am I missing something?

I dont know how deconz posts to the ha event bus (if at all), but the zha_events are posted by the ZHA component. You would need to use ZHA and not deconz to get zha events.

How do you list multple “entities to update?”

Following up: has anyone had any success getting this going with deconz?

I have the Aurora paired to my Conbee II, but I’m not seeing anything when I listen for deconz_event. As a test, I also paired a Hue dimmer using deconz, and listening for deconz_event produces the expected output for all of its button presses.

For what it’s worth, I’ve tried resetting the Aurora per the manufacturer’s directions, as well as restarting both the deconz add-on and Home Assistant itself. Is there some setup step I’m missing, perhaps?

I just moved my Conbee ll to my basement where my Proxmox server is and used usb passthrough to connect it too HAOS and used the ZHA integration and it’s working for me! I was using Zigbee2MQTT on my pi in my room. I’m going to use this for a while as there isn’t any bad signal degradation. Also I read an issue on Github that the Aurora isn’t working with deconz right now: https://github.com/dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin/issues/4620