How to integrate my Cupra Born?

Don’t want to feel stupid, but where can I find a step-by-step manual on how to add my Born in HA?

Not new to HA, but don’t understand what to do here sadly.

Need a bit more info to be able to give specific guides, but here is the outline of each step. Use YouTube to get steps for each one and you’ll be ok. Just do backups of your HA instance at each step.

Install HACS (Home Assistant Community Store)
Install Samba integration in HA and setup
Install VW Integration in HACS
Download the Cupra born files, extract to your pc
Browse to HA samba share, locate the VW Integration and overwrite with the Cupra files
Reboot HA
Add VW Integration and follow setup steps

It’s not as bad as it sounds, take it step by step, take backups and don’t rush. Takes a while to get used to all these bits, esp when you’re new to the HA system.

3 Likes

Thanks, will look at it tonight.

These steps look clear to me now (I have HACS allready)

This is my write-up of the steps I followed.

Madmic1314’s description is spot on, but i used the built in file editor in HA to do the file swapping rather than using Samba, as i’m less familiar with that…

Good luck!

Just to offer a third option :wink: - you can just connect via SSH to your HA instance and run these commands (after having installed the stock WeConnect version). That way you don’t have to download anything locally at all.

ssh [email protected]
git clone -b 'feature/cupra-support' https://github.com/alangibson/volkswagen_we_connect_id.git
rm -fr /config/custom_components/volkswagen_we_connect_id
cp -R volkswagen_we_connect_id/custom_components/volkswagen_we_connect_id /config/custom_components/
reboot
1 Like

@sebster Cheers for this!
I’ll definitely go this route if I need to reinstall it.

It works, thanks all!

Hi all,

Updated version of the Cupra Born integration here:
https://github.com/daernsinstantfortress/volkswagen_we_connect_id/archive/c070dbccc0140fc2b7851073cdedf6bbba5db041.zip

Adds support for detecting the state of locks, windows and open doors, as well as engine and lights state. More info in the thread.

Install as for any manual component - i.e. unzip to custom_components folder and restart HA, before adding the integration. This should probably be considered a test version until a few more people have tried it and confirmed that it works ok, but it’s the version I’m running myself and it seems ok to me.

Good luck and shout if you have any questions or find bugs.

I’ve installed this version and I’m stuck in starting the wizard.

Any idea?

Be patient - if you’re on an RPi it can take a fair amount of time to download and compile the underlying library supporting the car.

This is before doing anything like authentication. Exactly when trying to add the integration.

It finished like this:

Any logs? You may need to turn up the logging to debug for these modules to get something useful.

There were old version files in the pycache folder. I deleted them and it’s working now :muscle:

BTW, I downloaded the version you linked above, which is different from the one we can download at volkswagen_we_connect_id/custom_components/volkswagen_we_connect_id at main · daernsinstantfortress/volkswagen_we_connect_id · GitHub
I can I make sure the integration is always updated with the latest developments for Cupra Born?

Correct, the correct branch for the current Cupra Born support is here:

My plan is still to sort this out, properly fork it into a dedicated Cupra Born component so it’s less confusing, and a bit easier to manage, but for now this is the latest version.

I don’t see the option to open issues there, so let me just make a suggestion here: We have a button to toggle AC Charge Speed but we don’t get any sensor with the current charge speed. Is that possible?

BTW, here’s my current dashboard for my Cupra :smiley:

Just for curiosity: I’ve made some automation so that when I’m generating more power from the solar panels than the needed energy to charge the car, it turns on the power outlet. When there’s not enough power, it turns down the power outlet. I’ve given it a good amount of margin so that the toggle doesn’t happen very often, but still, the car gets into “error” on the current charge status and doesn’t charge until I manually unplug and plug the power cord. Any thoughts on this? (I know, this is a car-related question, not integration, but as a fellow owner of a Cupra Born, you might have some information. I only got the car 3 days now.)

There’s a github topic I have a Cupra Born, and I’d love to help make this. maybe someone there has more information about this.

I don’t see the option to open issues there, so let me just make a suggestion here: We have a button to toggle AC Charge Speed but we don’t get any sensor with the current charge speed. Is that possible?

Yes, correct. You can use button.cupra_born_toggle_ac_charge_speed to toggle the speed and sensor.cupra_born_max_charge_current_ac to check the current status. It should be either maximum or reduced.

but still, the car gets into “error” on the current charge status and doesn’t charge until I manually unplug and plug the power cord

I wonder if this is an extension of the bug with delayed charging, where the car sometimes jams into slow charging until the charging is stopped and restarted. What happens when you try doing this from the integration using button.cupra_born_stop_charging and button.cupra_born_start_charging?

FWIW, I have these configured into a nice convenient toggle switch, which is rather handy:

- platform: template
  switches:
    car_charging:
      friendly_name: "Charging"
      value_template: "{{ states('sensor.cupra_born_charging_state') in ['charging'] }}" 
      turn_on:
        service: button.press
        target:
          entity_id: button.cupra_born_start_charging
      turn_off:
        service: button.press
        target:
          entity_id: button.cupra_born_stop_charging
      icon_template: >-
        {% if states('sensor.cupra_born_charging_state') in ['charging'] %}
          mdi:car-electric
        {% else %}
          mdi:car-outline
        {% endif %}

I also do the same for charge speed and climate control as it’s much more intuitive.

Hey @daern and thanks for your help.

Pressing the toggle_ac_charge_speed button does change the max_charge_current_ac from maximum to reduced and vice-versa, but does not affect the consumption in my power outlet (that I’m monitoring with a Shelly, neither changes the charge_power (which is always 2kW at home, with this schuko cable) or charge_rate (which is always 12km/h).
Any ideas on why?

Starting and stopping from the integration works fine. I guess I will try to change my automation to use these commands instead of turning the switch on/off, also taking into consideration the conditions of the car being home, cable plugged and locked in, or I take the risk of stopping a remote charging session just because my home solar panels are producing low energy :rofl:
Will come back with feedback after.

Thanks for the template, I’m using it as a button:

I can’t easily tell at the moment, but I’m pretty sure that the reduced power AC charging rate is something like 2kW anyway, rather than the more typical 7-11kW that a normal AC charger would deliver. I suspect this is why you are not seeing any difference between the two.

Got it. It only applies if you use a wallbox charger which is not my case so far. I’m just using a regular plug. I work from home and drive very few km, so I’m trying to get away with charging the car for free with only solar energy most of the time.