How to link a Hassio VM to a RPi controlling just my Zwave and Zigbee dongles?

Hi all,

I currently have my Hassio installation installed on a RPi4 but but after another SD crash (which I was able to recover this time!) I have decided to move my installation to my always on Media Server in an outbuilding away from the house.

I’ve successfully installed Hassio on Oracle VMBox and loaded a current RPi4 Hassio backup and it all works fine, except for my Zigbee and Zwave devices connected via an Aeotec Zwave and Conbee II dongles.

I want to create a second slave instance of Hassio on my old RPi3b in my house and have the Zigbee and Zwave dongles plugged in.

I want the slave to be a ghost device in that I just want it to detect the devices and then I can just see and control my devices as if they were connected to the master.

Will MQTT_Eventstream achieve this? I have read a lot about doing this with Zwave but not both Zwave and Zigbee and also read that you can’t control devices with this method, just see the devices in the master.

Note: Hass.io is how you installed Home Assistant

If you’re using the deconz integration then that should work without anything special to do.

For Z-Wave, I’d look at running zwave2mqtt (there’s an add-on) with MQTT discovery configured on the primary Home Assistant install.

If you’re using the deconz integration then that should work without anything special to do.

Do I stream the Deconz sensors etc via MQTT to the Master?

No, it has it’s own protocol.

How do I present the DeConz sensors from the RPi Slave on the VM Master

1. Install deCONZ on the remote system
  2. Configure deCONZ on the main system
  3. Read the deCONZ docs :wink:
  1. Install deCONZ on the remote system
  2. Configure deCONZ on the main system
  3. Read the deCONZ docs :wink:

Thank you for this! That made it so easy!

I just have to focus on Zwave now!! Looking into Zwave2mqtt now

You could also use Zwave2Mqtt/Zwave2Zigbee on RPi + MQTT Broker on your hass.io.
So all devices connect to your RPi and will be adressed by Mqtt from Hass.io
Useful:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/rpi-as-z-wave-zigbee-over-ip-server-for-hass/23006/88?u=autox

Useful:

https://selfhostedhome.com/migrating-to-zwave2mqtt-for-home-assistant/