How to manualy supply Z-Wave JS Config file from the DB

I have some devices I am not able to include… I do see them in the Z-Wave JS Config DB but I am not able to find out how to manually include the information for the device (I see the device in the DB) …

The device in question is the Fibargroup / Double Relay Switch 2x1.5kW

I feel utterly stupid as I guess there is a easy way to do this…

Can someone please help me!

First, a zwave device can only be included in one network at a time. If it was previously included with another network, it will need to be excluded from that network or factory reset first. How to do that will depend on the system you used before, or just factory reset it by following directions in the manual linked below

To add a zwave device, you need to trigger inclusion mode both from zwavejs by using the control panel, and then following the manual specific for your device by puting it in inclusion mode. That will be different for each device.

First, you would put zwavejs in inclusion mode by going to settings, integrations, devices & services, then scroll to zwavejs and hit configure:

Screenshot from 2022-05-23 11-56-58

Then click “add device” at the bottom right,

This will start inclusion mode

Immediately go to your device and then put it in inclusion mode. I assume this switch is installed in a wall and accessing it will be difficult, but if you can access it, the directions state to hit button B to put it in inclusion mode.

If you don’t want to open up the junction box, per the manual I linked above, alternatively you can toggle the switch connected to it 3 times (or push the button connected to it 3 times if using a button). If that fails, you might need to factory reset it.

Thank you for you answer but this is not to my question and reading through my post I see it is very unclear…

I know how to include a zwave device and set it up genereal (my system already have >80 devices… My question is when a device is wrongly included and is not set up as the correct device… Then I am wondering how to manualy supply-z-wave-js-config-file-from-the Zwave JS Config DB (Z-Wave JS Config DB Browser )

Due to the mounting place of the device I have to include it using the Aeon Z stick which singnals a ok inclusion…

Generaly I would like to know how to include this config files…

If you want to do a custom device config you have to use zwavejs2mqtt over zwavejs. See the posts on this thread

Thx… The link does not work

I do NOT want to change anything but simply download the existing config file from the data base and include it in my HA…So:

1. Where is the config files located

2. Can I use the file editor to put it into HA

3. Is it anything else I need to do in addition…

I updated the link and it is below

Again, its for zwavejs2mqtt. If you’re not willing to switch to that from zwavejs, I’m not saying its impossible, but unfortunately your path will be much more difficult. Home Assistant addons run as docker containers, with persistent volumes that map all over the place. This poster found where the config files are previously and path is in their post. However, I do not know if the database files are in the same place, or if you modify them, if they are overwritten or kept (persisted or not) every time you update the addon. On the other hand, I do know the store directory of zwavejs2mqtt, which would include custom device configs, is persisted and would stick through updates.

Sorry forgot to mention I am using the

Ok you can use the zwavejs2mqtt interface to manipulate files in the store directory like described here

The store directory might be accessible through the config directory/file editor for Home Assistant, I don’t use the addon version myself (I use the standalone docker version) but in your Home Assistant config directory see if there is a zwavejs2mqtt folder and look in there.

Unfortunately I can not find the store directory… I have looked for it using the terminal window.
find . */store/config No Such file or directory

I can find it through the Web GUI of MQTT but the CONFIG empty. I guess these are DB entries rather than real directories ?

Click on the blue + file icon next to the directory. It will create a new file for the name you give it. Then select that file, it will open a file editor on the right side. Copy and paste your file contents into the empty file, then save it. Re-start zwavejs2mqtt and re-interview the node.

1 Like

Thx…

If I understand correctly I then download the file fgs221.json from the database and put that exact file into a file with the same name according to your instructions and as discussed in the thread : https://community.home-assistant.io/t/z-wave-device-not-identified-correctly/338123… If I want to further tweek that file I can now do that through the editor as you explained .

Have I understood correctly

The FGS221.json file is already included in the default .config-db database so just copying it over into the config directory probably won’t fix the problem, as the issues you are probably having is that your products exact type and ID isn’t in the list and its not pulling in the info from that file.

We’ll probably need to manually add your device’s product type and ID to the JSON list in that file.

Go to your device in the zwavejs2mqtt control panel, and look for the “Device ID” info. Paste everything that is circled here:

Then I’ll post what changes to make to the file

This is the device ID : 271-263-512 (0x010f-0x0200-0x0107)
and the firmware version is 1.7

So the device ID should be manufacturer ID, product ID, product type in that order - the first being the “normal” base 10 number, then in parenthesis in hex where the hex is used by the .json file to identify/match the products and apply specific config settings.

It looks to me like either your device is reporting the product ID and device types reversed, or the FGS221.json file itself is wrong and has them reversed.

When you open the contents of the file FGS221.json, lines 28-31 should be this:

{
			"productType": "0x0200",
			"productId": "0x0107"
		},

In your copied and new FGS221.json file in the config directory, try changing those lines to this

{
			"productType": "0x0107",
			"productId": "0x0200"
		},

Ok … Is it not so that the product type is a number that is generic for HA and not only for Fibaro. If the first then this will not work… I notice that there are many 0x200 nnnnn pairs. But I gues its only to try.

It is not my day today as (after a update yesterday and after trying to include this device) my Z-wave network was more or less lost… I am doing a global re interview as

As you can see at the bottom the FGS221 is reported as working but is still interrogated . I will therefore wait until this is finished…

This behavior is very irritating and it has happened several times… (I have updated the repositories that was reported as gone prior to the last update )

And thank you all so far… It is very generous to help and I have learned a lot. I will come back to this after the Re interrogation and a healing has finished.

If you have any obvious suggestions I would take them with gratitude…

/O

Your screenshot shows that the device was found in the database, and the device ID you listed also matches (look for 0x0200:0x0107 in the screenshot), well the bottom 221 at least. So you don’t need to edit any files.

Likely at least one of your problems is related to this:

How many devices did you include in this manner, just that one or more? This technique is highly discouraged. What has happened is that your controller has invalid routes to the device and it can no longer talk to it. If you check the driver debug logs, you’ll probably see a lot of communication errors.

Also, check the general troubleshooting docs. Number one tip is to make sure you have a USB extension cord installed.

1 Like

So I will have to a extensive Heal. My system is installed in a NUC so it is possible to move the NUC close to the devices and then include them the normal way. My house is to big for a USB extension cord.
So what do you suggest to do? To use the global heal function…?

Can you point me in the direction of the driver debug logs?

The point of the extension cord is to reduce interference from your other electronics, especially USB ports. You only need a short one. It should be installed permanently.

So what do you suggest to do? To use the global heal function…?

All I can say is try what the issue says.

Can you point me in the direction of the driver debug logs?

I posted the link. See above.

I have a extension cord installed already
Under DEBUG in the zwave UI I get a lot of these : Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 192.168.111.77:1883
at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (node:net:1157:16)
2022-05-23 23:36:31.205 INFO MQTT: MQTT client closed
2022-05-23 23:36:32.206 INFO MQTT: MQTT client reconnecting
2022-05-23 23:36:32.209 ERROR MQTT: Mqtt client error connect ECONNREFUSED 192.168.111.77:1883

Thanx I found the logs and longing was turned on but just for info so i turned it to silly…

I have to play with this its a lot to take in…

Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your patience