How To: Set a Static IP on Hass.io/HassOS

Just to be sure. the “gateway” ip is supposed to be the ip of the router right? the ip that i enter in my browser which takes me to the router/network status and configuration.

Typically, yes and also typically an address within the same network segment.

aaalright. I’m a bit confused here. Still not seeing something that I did obvious wrong, and it has been a few days and i’m still unable to connect to frontend and see my public folders (shared with samba).

My router has only 1 ethernet port. And for that reason I am using some splitter device, it has 5 ethernet port I believe, and it uses power from a supply. All my physically connected devices goes through this thing, including my pi hassio server. This is the only thing that I could thing of is besides normal. Everything that I plug into it usually has internet connection without trouble, I have been running IKEA hub + hassio pi through the adapter which both worked before I started messing with static IP configuration. This is just a wild guess, but could it be that setting a static ip doesn’t work properly when using “enthernet splitter” (or whatever this device is called) ? :slight_smile:

btw, I’m a bit screwed here, because I don’t know how to undo the config. I did do a snapshot before, but it fails to restore, just saying “error”, no further message :sweat_smile: :upside_down_face:

Basically, your host IP address and your gateway are on different subnets. This won’t work.

If 192.168.8.1 is definitely your router (try to ping this IP address from a known working computer on the network to confirm), then you should be assigning an IP to your host that is in the same subnet as your gateway (e.g. 192.168.8.111/24, assuming you’re only working with a /24 subnet).

Edit: use this guide to fix your IP addressing on your host - https://tech.borpin.co.uk/2018/10/18/using-nmcli-to-set-a-static-ipv4-address-in-hass-io/

Thanks @LavaGlass for this post, it helped me a lot.

Some people having trouble with Step 4. You need to correct a semi-colon, hope it helps:

[connection]
id=HassOS default
uuid=your_pasted_uuid
type=802-3-ethernet

[ipv4]
method=manual
address=your_desired_raspi_ip/24;your_default_gateway_ip
dns=your_primary_dns_address;your_secondary_dns_address;

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

Pay attention to the semi-colons on this lines:
address=your_desired_raspi_ip/24;your_default_gateway_ip
dns=your_primary_dns_address;your_secondary_dns_address;

A semi-colon ; between your desired ip and your default gateway ip, and the other one at the end of the DNS addresses. It worked for me.

1 Like

is it possible to set the static IP address in HASSoS from its text user interface?

I think you can do it via nmcli

I am just setting up a new HA in a VM, just using supervisor version of Home Assistant, and I have found nmcli is no longer recognised as a command. I used this in earlier versions, but in 0.110.x it seems to not work now. Can anyone confirm this? I just want to know if it has changed or if some stupid has entered my mind :slight_smile:

Edit: Ignore me. A little bit of iso dumbness had set in. I had missed a step

1 Like

Thanks for your explanation. It helped me very much.

Hi, i have a simple question but i couldn´t find the answer yet. To have a PI Rasperry with HA (last versión) with a static IP in my network, what i have to do?.
Because i reserve a static IP in my netgear router, but not always take the same static IP i was configure. I have some randomic behavior. Sometimes works fine and sometimes take other IP and all things stop working. Typically this situation happend when i have electrical cuts from my provider electricy.
Some ideas to share? thanks.

You have couple options:

1. Fixed IP address
  2. Go to Supervisor ==> System ==> Host System ==> IP Address and hit CHANGE
8 Likes

Heemm… you should set up the fixed IP from your router/DHCP which will surely give the same IP to the same MAC device. This way you wont have problem of IP being used by other device which will surely create many problem for your HASSIO.

1 Like

Thanks very much!, when the router assined to HA the IP that i want, then I fixed it with the second option that you answered me.

Ok, I have my Raspberry Pi 4 for Home Assistant together with my two NAS and a switch attached to a UPS. The IP addresses are static for all three devices and they use addresses that aren’t used by the DHCP of my router.
If the power is away I still have the IP set in my Home Assistant and my two NAS to let them communicate with each other because after 10 minutes Home Assistant switches off both NAS.

So, I thought I was having IP conflicts on my system. That turns out to not be the case…

When I set up AdGuard as the DHCP server, I changed the range. It recorded several devices trying to connect (which, I had deleted and wiped a bunch of these switches, whatever). It set up new IP addresses for everything, but NOTHING connects to the internet. My phone just says, “Connected, no internet”
Someone mentioned an upstream DNS:

I’m basically at the point, I’ve given up and went back to Google WiFi, giving the corporate Giants all my data :rofl:

Hello. Looking at your configs, I think your DHCP range is on the wrong subnet. If your gateway is 192.168.86.x, and your Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0, you DHCP range should also be on 192.168.86.x and not 192.168.83.x.

I have a similar question. I changed the static IP of my HA and changed the IP range of my router later on (Long story) Now my HA is disconnected and I don’t know how to change the HA static IP again. Will the USB stick method work? Mine is not a new HA installation! Appreciate any help. Thanks.

You can set you computer to the old IP range and connect to HA like before. You only have to use an Ethernet cable directly between the computer and HA.

Thanks. So plugin the ethernet cable from the HA to the computer? Let me try that

That worked. Thanks.

Now I am having trouble accessing HA from outside. I have DuckDNS setup. Made all the port forwards as previously. Not sure why I can’t connect from outside!