How to set away_temp of generic_thermostat?

Thought this would be simple…trying to set away_temp of a climate entity. I can set the value in the config of the climate entity but after that I do not see a way to change it. No climate service call sets away_temp. Looked into using input_number.set_value but then this requires an entity_id of the entity so no way of writing to the attribute away_temp

Reason for this is that I use the away mode which then has automation triggered on entring away mode and then depending on other automations, sets the away_temp - or rather that’s what I am after.

So has anyone managed to set the away_temp at runtime using a service or some other mechanism?

Community member rodpayne created a python_script that can be used to set an entity’s state or attribute. It was originally created to set the state of a ‘read-only’ entity like a sensor but he enhanced it to allow setting an attribute.

The thing to keep in mind that is that when this python_script sets an entity’s state or attribute, that ‘forced’ value doesn’t survive a restart. For example, if you use it to set away_temp, on startup its value will revert to whatever you specified in its configuration.

@123 you’ve done it again! Is there anything out of your knowledge :wink: Cheers.

btw,

On the topic of state machine, I have noticed that generic_thermostat component does not write its state and recover it on startup. Or at least that is what happens on my system. I can restart the core and all the temperature settings (i.e. setpoint) are lost. I get “unknown” as a value.

For those arriving here via search, this was the configuration.yaml to set the away_temp in my case as an automation but you get the idea and can adjust for your setup:

# Include python_script integration.
python_script:
  automation:

# Copy current thermostat setpoint to 'away_temp' attribute
   # to prevent changes when moving between 'away' and 'none' modes.
    - alias: Thermostat setpoint to Away_Temp
      initial_state: true
      trigger:
        platform: state
        entity_id: climate.lounge
        attribute: temperature
      action:
        service: python_script.set_state_or_attr
        data_template:
          entity_id: climate.lounge
          away_temp: "{{ trigger.to_state.attributes.temperature }}"

Does the generic thermostat’ configuration contain the target_temp option? On startup it should (at the very least) set it to that value. If that option isn’t present then I imagine it will default to unknown until you set it to something (via the UI or a service call).

FWIW, Home Assistant periodically saves the state of a select few domains (and just prior to restart/shutdown) but definitely not all domains. This is from from an exhaustive list but just what comes to mind: input_boolean, automation, input_text, counter, etc. I don’t believe “climate” is one of them.

1 Like

Indeed, target_temp is an attribute and this gets set to 18.0 in the yaml config. I’ve since started working on a python script (I ‘can do python’ for my sins) that reads the hass object and all state objects with attributes into a JSON and write this to a file which can be used on startup to (re)initialise my setup. There may well be native functionality in HA but I just haven’t found it. But as you say, there does seem to be some domains that are intrinsic to the state-machine but this is - again as you say - far from complete. I take it you meant “…far from an exhaustive list…”.

Hi @ninjaef, are you using a different python script that the one created by rodpayne ?
It seems that you are calling

and rodpayne script is:

service: python_script.set_state

I’m trying to set away_temp using an input_number that is on my dashboard. So I can change the away temp.
Since my climate control system is both heater and cooler, during winter I do not want the same away temp than in summer !
So in order to avoid configuration change and server reboot every year, I would like to set that from an input number…

I have installed the python script from HACS: https://github.com/xannor/hass_py_set_state

And this is my automation so far:

##### Automations for handling thermostat modes and parameters

##### When input_select.thermostat_mode is changed, then thermostat hvac mode is changed as well
- id: updating_thermostat_when_thermostat_mode_changed
  alias: Updating Thermostat when input "Thermostat Mode" is changed
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_select.thermostat_mode
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: 'input_boolean.heating_override_switch'
    state: 'off'
  action:
  - service: climate.set_hvac_mode
    data:
      entity_id: climate.thermostat_salon,climate.thermostat_chambres
      hvac_mode: "{{ states('input_select.thermostat_mode') }}"

##### When changing the value of input_number.away_temp, then thermostat away_temp is changed as well
- id: updating_thermostat_when_away_temp_changed
  alias: Updating Thermostat away_temp value when input "Temp Absent" is changed
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_number.away_temp
  action:
  - service: python_script.set_state
    data_template:
      entity_id: climate.thermostat_salon,climate.thermostat_chambres
      away_temp: "{{ states('input_number.away_temp') }}"

“updating_thermostat_when_thermostat_mode_changed” is working just well,
but “updating_thermostat_when_away_temp_changed” using the python script is doing nothing.

It seems that it’s just working on a state, but trying to change “away_temp” here.

If you need anything that could help me, it would be cool :slight_smile:
edit: If you have anything that could help me, it would be cool :slight_smile:

…Sorry. I do not understand you … "if I need anything”

My setup is what it is - as per my previous post. It works as I require.

Sorry @ninjaef I meant “If you HAVE anything that could help me…”

What is the python script that you are using ?

I don’t see the function “set_state_or_attr” in rodpayne script.
Instead, there is the function “set_state” only. Maybe this is the reason why I cant’ update away_temp. Have you adapted rodpayne script in order to add “set attribute” capability to it?

I’m in the same situation than you here, I’m just trying to update away_temp dynamically and just can’t find a way to do it. Since you did it, i’m trying to understand how!

that is the filename in the CONFIG:python_scripts directory, not a function.

Ok got it, Thanks @ninjaef

Do you mind sharing this file?

inputEntity = data.get('entity_id')
if inputEntity is None:
    logger.warning("===== entity_id is required if you want to set something.")
elif hass.states.get(inputEntity) is None:
    logger.warning("===== unknown entity_id: %s", inputEntity)
else:
    inputStateObject = hass.states.get(inputEntity)
    logger.debug("inputStateObject = {0}".format(inputStateObject))
    inputState = inputStateObject.state
    logger.debug("inputState = {0}".format(inputState))
    inputAttributesObject = inputStateObject.attributes.copy()
    logger.debug("inputAttributesObject = {0}".format(inputAttributesObject))

# Loop all items from the 'data_template:' in config
    for item in data:

logger.debug("LOOP: item = {0}".format(item))

# Get value
        newAttribute = data.get(item)
        logger.debug("LOOP: item = {0}; value = {1}".format(item,newAttribute))

if item == 'entity_id':
            # Skip if config item is the entity name - we already have that
            continue            # already handled

elif item == 'state':
            # If config item is 'state' then use the value
            inputState = newAttribute
            logger.debug("LOOP: inputState = {0}".format(inputState))

else:
            # set the attribute to value
            inputAttributesObject[item] = newAttribute
            logger.debug("LOOP: inputAttributesObject[item] = {0}".format(newAttribute))

hass.states.set(inputEntity, inputState, inputAttributesObject)

copy that into a a file called set_state_or_attr.py in your CONFIG:python_scripts

you need to restart HA

1 Like

Thanks for your help, appreciated :wink:

no worries. is it working for you?

Nope. Not with your script or with rodpayne.
If renaming

service: python_script.set_state
to service: python_script.set_state_test (that does not exists…)

I do have an error in HA saying that it does not found the script. So that means it can find it when correctly named.

Now, I can’t find any log or information. I have tried to hard code a value, like this:

data_template:
entity_id: climate.thermostat_salon
away_temp: 20

to see if it’s working, but nothing. The value of away mode is always the one initialized in the thermostat configuration: 18. It never changes.
I don’t know how to troubleshoot this…
Maybe it is related to the fact I’m using dual mode generic thermostat integration: ha-dualmodegeneric/custom_components/dualmode_generic/climate.py at 09455b0afc64950eebd575c361d787646e643d42 · zacs/ha-dualmodegeneric · GitHub I don’t know

No no no.
I cannot be any clearer,

the call you need to make is python_script.set_state_or_attr - why are you doing something else? No wonder it is not working. To be clear again, you must have the file set_state_or_attr.py in the in the subdirectory python_scripts within the homeassistant configuration directory (referenced as CONFIG:) above. If you do this it will work provided you make the correct call. Anything else and it will not work. You can test the service call in the Services tab from the Developer tools option on the front end.

Yes, this is what I do!
The call is working either with your script " set_state_or_attr" or with rodpayne’s “set_state”.
I have both files in my python_scripts folder.

Thank for the tips about Developer tools, I can see the service python_script.set_state_or_attr is here.
It does nothing when I call it…

Putting my thermostat in away mode right after:

Still at 18° …

Confused!
This indicated to me that it was not working…

Now you say it is working…

Sorry, I am too confused to help. I do not understand what you want - or - what is wrong.

Je ne sais pa !!

hahaha
Thanks for your help anyway :wink:

I was trying to call set_state_test, something that does not exist, just to confirm that I had an error showing in my logs, which I did have, so that meant the call was working and the script running when correctly called…!

The only thing I don’t know is why it’s not working ! There is no reason