How to setup HA to recover if there is ever an issue or corruption?

Not sure of the specific considerations for an NUC, but if you plan to use Docker then I would say Unraid is worth considering. It’s got good Docker support, is pretty easy to set up and maintain, and has an active community.

I have HA running in Docker, and am using Duplicati to backup the same as a previous poster. Duplicati supports local backup and I’ve been impressed with the speed of the backups and the ease of restoring (both full restores and individual files).

Sounds similar to “no control over HA supervisor updates”. With exception that I never experienced W10 rebooting the machine (what you said was true for W7 though)

Anyway if you want use Windows as server OS, use dedicated edition instead one for desktops

Besides what I wrote above: who cares?

If you are not a company, can you afford the cost of a Windows Server edition ?

Neither me or you were mentioning price. Instead you generalized usage of Windows while thinking about non-server edition (and probably Win7). TBH I was thinking about Windows Embedded (nowadays known as Windows IoT) but don’t know pricing and after quick glance I found no valuable information about. I even found a statement on some web pages “don’t use WIndows IoT for IoT” :wink:
So yeah… don’t use Windows for running HA :wink:

Do you have a suggestion, if one uses the GoogleBackupAddOn and don’t want to show the content of the Snapshot to Google first hand? I use this AddOn and password protect the files, so not everybody at Google can easily take a look…

I do know, that if one wants to get to the content, this kind of protection is easily hackable, but it’s at least something.

Any ideas about that? :slight_smile:

Someone did write a python script that can decrypt password protected snapshots. Give it a try:

1 Like

So im back after many many months now and want to get my automations back up and working as well as a pretty solid back up and restore solution.

I want everything to run locally as orginally stated above.

This time around though, im going to setup HA and test the backup and restore processes, BEFORE i go and setup all my automations and notifications and such. Ill setup a device and maybe add a addon and then test out the restoration.

Hardware setup this time, would be one of the following:

ODROID-N2+ Home Assistant Bundle from Ameridroid
or
Home Assistant Yellow

The hardest and worst part of my loss last year, is that i dont recall everything i had installed or setup, so i would literally be starting from scratch. I do know the one i had alot of time invested in was Node Red with alot of notifications and condition based events…

BUT this time ill focus on operational aspect first before jumping into the fun stuff.

Good plan!! If only more people did that. Let us know what you learn. Maybe your experience will improve others’ backup procedures.

So now my next question, based on what i have read, ODROID-N2 is out of stock. Is that something that can be bought in pieces and assembled since you cant get the complete unit/package right now? Anyone know?

You don’t need to use an N2. HAOS supports a number of ODroid units, including the N2+, C4, and XU4, and any modern PC that supports UEFI.

Heck, make use a second hand laptop from the last decade and you get a built in UPS.

So i was looking and found the https://ameridroid.com/products/home-assistant-bundle-odroid-xu4 version in stock, but from what i can tell is that i would have to load HA as it doesnt come preloaded. Not a big deal, but seems reasonable.

Well i went ahead and ordered the Home Assistant Bundle ODROID-XU4
XU4Q / 16GB eMMC / US

Should arrive by the weekend or first part of next week.

New equipment has been shipped and arriving this Saturday. Besides having my mouse, keyboard and monitor ready to setup. Is there anything else hardware or software wise that i could get ready so i can focus on initial setup quickly this weekend?

Well got the equipement in last week, tried to setup this weekend and ran into my first problem, monitors that dont have HDMI connections, so i ordered HDMI to VGA and that didnt work, so ordered a HDMI to DVI and going to try that tonight… didnt have this problem when i had my HA on a Rpi before… i really dont want to buy a new monitor just to setup and configure my odroid.

The other concern i have is that since the first boot of the device was with a monitor that never showed anything, does anyone know if there is any chance i corrupted it be simply unplugging the power? I have no idea what happened or didnt happen during that first boot since i couldnt see anything

So got the odroid up and running and it found some devices already on my network, so before i start doing any more, i was looking to install samba, is this the correct thing to install for backups?

found the steps to add the repository for it

Do i need the samba share as well or just the samba backup

It’s definitely advisable to install the Samba add-on as that will give you the ability to create a share drive on your PC that directs to the HA config folder. The Samba add-on itself doesn’t provide any backup functionality but makes transferring files (such as your backup file) much easier.

There is a different add-on which will actually automate the backup and transfer (via Samba) if you want. There are other add-ons for automatic backups as well such as auto uploading to Google Drive or Dropbox.

I’d also recommend installing the SSH & terminal add-on which will help you remotely log in if things go pear -shaped.

I have installed the following:

Pending configuration on each, The google back up will be last resort as i prefer local backups only.

Is there anything else i should install before i test a back and restore scenario?

Get the SSH & Terminal add-on as well.

Well i got the samba share working and can see the shares on the odroid device, but cant seem to get samba backup configured…

I have my host entered as the ip of the device
share, this one is not very clear, when i setup the samba share, there was nowhere that mentioned a “share” name, so my first attempt is using the IP address as well.
target dir = backup
username
password
keep local = all
keep remote = all
trigger time = 01:00
7 days a week
exclude add-ons = nothing
exclude folders = none
backup name = {type} Backup {version} {date}
workgroup = mynetwork name

the things i believe to be the problem are the “share name” and the 2 “exclude” settings, those 2 dont let me enter anything or save anything i am able to enter.