How to survive without the "ALL groups"

Update: Please also see @petro’s PSA: Turn on/off all lights in Home Assistant 0.104+ (group.all_* changes) for examples.

I have noticed there is some concern about how to get along without the formerly automatically generated groups like group.all_lights. I promise you there is a way to make your code work without them. Ask here and we can help you.

First off, the following is the correct way to turn off every light now.

service: light.turn_off
entity_id: all  # replace group.all_lights with `all`

Here are some example templates to get lists of entity_ids to get you thinking.

List of all lights

{{ states.light | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}

List of lights that are turned on

{{ states.light | selectattr('state','eq','on') | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}

With some slights changes you can make these work for covers.

List of all covers

{{ states.cover | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}

List of covers that are open

{{ states.light | selectattr('state','eq','open') | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}

If you really feel like you need the all groups back you have some options. For example you can create a script that rebuilds a group. The script below literally recreates group.all_lights. Call this script just before you need the group to update it.

script:
  # Recreate group.all_lights
  update_all_light_group:
    sequence:
      - service: group.set
        data_template:
          object_id: "all_lights"
          entities: "{{ states.light | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}"

# Recreate group.all_switches
  update_all_switches_group:
    sequence:
        data_template:
          object_id: "all_switches"
          entities: "{{ states.switch | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}"

While these group won’t be updated every time the status of a state changes… well, your server doesn’t have to update the group every time a change happens. Every little bit helps on a Raspberry Pi… ammiright? :slight_smile:

There also two AppDaemon apps available on HACS that intend to recreate those groups for you.

1. https://github.com/Petro31/ad_group_all
  2. https://github.com/so3n/Bring-Back-group.all_x

If you would like help converting a script post an example of your code in this topic.

7 Likes

Here is an example from Drop the auto generated groups. · Issue #177 · home-assistant/architecture · GitHub

I also have a simple “sleep” scene that just says all lights should be off.

group.all_lights: off

Don’t worry, the replacement script required is quite simple.

script:
  turn_all_lights_off:
    sequence:
      - service: light.turn_off
        entity_id: all
1 Like

Thanks. There is also an excellent description from @petro here:

3 Likes

I love these examples! But I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas for this case.

I have a script that runs when everyone has left home:

script:
        post_departure:
                alias: 'Post-departure state checks'
                sequence:
                        - condition: state
                          entity_id: group.off_when_unoccupied
                          state: 'on'
                        - service: notify.mobile_app_leaf
                          data:
                                  title: "Device Left On"
                                  message: "No one is home, but some devices are still on."
#snip#

And here is the group that the script checks:

group:
        off_when_unoccupied:
                name: 'Stuff that should be off when the house is empty'
                entities:
                        - group.space_heaters
                        - group.all_lights

Is there a way to replicate this functionality cleanly? Notably, I’d like to have one group that turns off all the relevant devices, because later I let another script turn off the same off_when_unoccupied group when I click the notification on my phone, thereby resolving the problem.

Is there no alternative to writing a script to just recreate the all_lights group every once in a while? I’ve heard rumblings of a “template group” which would be perfect for this, but nothing that I can use today.

1 Like

Hunter, what you are looking for is exactly what my above example update_all_light_group script is intended to do. :slight_smile:

If you add that script, then call it just before your condition the group will be updated. It may or may not be necessary, but I usually add a second or two delay right after calling a group update script like that just to make sure it updates before I need to access it.

Here is what I would do in this situation.

script:
  # Recreate group.all_lights
  update_all_light_group:
    sequence:
        data_template:
          object_id: "all_lights"
          entities: "{{ states.light | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}"

post_departure:
    alias: 'Post-departure state checks'
    sequence:
      - service: script.update_all_lights_group
      - delay:
          seconds: 2
      - condition: state
        entity_id: group.off_when_unoccupied
        state: 'on'
      - service: notify.mobile_app_leaf
        data:
          title: "Device Left On"
#snip#

P.S. I have a ton of respect for the developers, they aren’t out to get rich. Heck only a few people collect any salary at all. What they do, they do out of love. I think this was one of many difficult decisions they have made in the past year. I have been paying attention, and the changes while tough at first, are really moving us closer to a less kludgy system that will eventually have a consistency you expect from a high quality veteran product. I’m glad you are sticking it out and asking for help. I love this community!

1 Like

Advanced concepts

Omitting browser_mod’s virtual lights

If you use @thomasloven’s excellent browser_mod component, it will by default add a virtual light for each unique browser you use. If you want to be able to use that feature, but don’t want those “lights” added to your all_lights list here a tip. We can use the rejectattr() template filter to omit lights created by browser_mod like so:

{{ states.light | rejectattr('attributes.type','eq','browser_mod') | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}

Creating an “Actionable Lights” group

I have a bunch of Hue bulbs which are grouped together in various lamps. For example my dining room chandelier has 9 color hue bulbs in it. They are named light.dining1, light.dining2, and so on. But those are added to a light group named light.dining_room.

So how do you create a list of all lights, but omit specific lights from that list? You create a group named group.actionable_lights, also using a rejectattr() template filter. This time we are creating a list of values to reject.

sequence:
    data_template:
      object_id: "actionable_lights"
      entities: >
        {%- set ignore_list = [
          'light.dining1','light.dining2','light.dining3','light.dining4','light.dining5','light.dining6','light.dining7','light.dining8','light.dining9',
          'light.family_room_floor_lamp1','light.family_room_floor_lamp2','light.family_room_floor_lamp3',
          'light.kitchen_cabinet'
        ] -%}
        {{ states.light | rejectattr('entity_id','in',ignore_list) | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}

Bonus: Combine multiple rejectattr() filters

I use this to build my actionable_lights group, without the browser_mod “lights” as well.

{{ states.light | rejectattr('attributes.type','eq','browser_mod') | rejectattr('entity_id','in',ignore_list) | map(attribute='entity_id') | join(',') }}

Deleted (duplicated an option already listed above)