How to test the OZW Beta without fully switching over

Wheres information about the zwavejs over api one for home assitant? I am in favor of that one (like esphome uses that same api?)

https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/issues/483

Very much still in development. I believe it’s this one, which was created 6 days ago.

1 Like

There’s also this:

Hmmm for me it is hard to understand how this all fits together.

I get:

1. Openzwave beta addon - integration openzwave beta (does it use mqtt under the hood or even work without mosquitto? I believe it should be installed)
  2. Zwave2mqtt, the name is clear is uses openzwave and mqtt. But what integration? Mqtt?
  3. zwavejs2mqtt, name is clear, it uses mqtt, but what integration? Mqtt?
  4. zwavejsapi (is it called that way) uses the api like esphome? What integration?

See how I got confused as a very enthusiastic user?

Yes it uses mqtt under the hood.

Both MQTT

zwave-js-server, it’s using websockets and it’ll have a separate integration.

There is no integration for it yet. HOWEVER one was just merged less than 24 hours ago, so by HA version 2021.2 it will likely be included. Once it exists, it will be detected and auto-added by itself.

There’s also no easy to install HA addon for it yet, but I expect that will be developed and released around the same time as the integration is (as a Beta at least).

As for your other questions (2 & 3) Zwave2mqtt supports MQTT discovery, so if you have MQTT set up in HA, and autodiscovery enabled, the devices/entities will get discovered automatically.
For zwavejs2mqtt, I do not believe it supports HA autodiscovery over MQTT, so you would have to manually add each device (this is a guess though, since the integration doesn’t mention it. I haven’t tried it myself).

So reading this very high level and basic descriptions gives me the hope that the current Beta OZW (which I use) gets a decent successor in form of ZwaveJsApi? Then the topic of this (or maybe a new topic) should be “how to migrate from”?

Really hopefull this!

Likely a new thread.

let’s say i think i’m ready at this point to stick with 1.6 (ozw). what do i do at that point? just delete the 1.4 integration and i’m good to go?

if i do that, how much of a PITA will it be to switch back if i ever decide i want to do that?

Short answer, yes. Longer answer, there’s a link at the bottom of the guide.

It’s not too hard, but I don’t foresee you wanting to swap back.

I used the template by Olen and also created another version of it to rename the devices/entities of the 1.4 integration in order to use the same names in the 1.6 integration.

sequence:
{% for state in states.zwave %}
  - service: zwave.rename_node
    data:
{%- if state.attributes.node_id %}
      node_id: {{ state.attributes.node_id }}
      update_ids: true
      name: {{ state.name  }}_old
{%- endif %}

{%- endfor %}
mode: single

The generated output I could use in an HA script to execute the renaming of all the devices.
During testing I got some _2 entities as well (probably due to executing the script for certain devices again).
I had to do some work on automation rules due to the fact that some entities got _sensor appended to its name compared to the 1.4 names. Also some powerplug entities got better names now (volt/watt/amp/kwh entities), but that also took some time to change in lovelace views/cards etc.

Hth Patrick

P.S. The generated output is not a complete script, it needs some more yml code.

Thank you for sharing. I have completed the switch to OpenZwave. All my Zwave plus devices from Fibaro and Aeotec got recognized. Mostly Zwave plus motion sensors, dimmer and smart plugs. It works flawlessly.

The reason why I switched was due to an unresolved issue I had way back in 2019 with de Aeotec dimmer. I posted it here. With OpenZwave my issue is now resolved. My automation works now.

Great work!

1 Like

I had a strange issue with OZW admin with my Neo Coolcam PIR. Found that same issue also in this post (https://github.com/home-assistant/addons/issues/1600) with a solution there as well by user kpine. I used the MQTT explorer application to browse the topics and post the correct configuration value.

I haven’t figured out yet how to fix the xml version in this 1.6 version. I did that frequently on the 1.4 version (I had to run an ansible playbook to fix several xml files for every new HA version to put my fixes into the container), just stop the ZWave network and copy the correct file into the docker container. But if I stop the ZWave network in 1.6 the container is down. Or maybe I should just go and learn how to create a PR in OpenZwave in a way to get it accepted (But I need to test it locally first of course).

A big thank you for @firstof9 :+1: for writing this OP. That made me tip my toes into the 1.6 water :wink: and I’m sure I will stay on that version.

1 Like

Hi I would like to use your yaml file but do not know how to integrate it in HA. I am also running Dwains Dashboard which makes it more difficult for me as I am not fluent in lovelace yet. Thank you so much for sharing it!

So I was just testing the new OZW and I read that secure nodes need to be removed and re-added, so I decided to test it on a spare lock before doing my currently in use ones. I for the life of me can not get it pair (or them I also have an extra Be469, but initial testing was with be469zp… )i see it starting to add in the ozw-admin panel… the lock blinks and then I get a red x after awhile. Tried excluding, including, even foot away from stick.

Has anyone successfully paired these and got the additional access control sensors? The user codes are very important to my setup.

I will get the lock and battery level but that’s it and the lock never thinks it’s added. I am doing it securely and I know in the past missing entities for these was usually because it wasn’t added securely. Even tried full factory reset and exclusion on lock and still no lock. Do I just have a couple of duds and should take a leap of faith in trying my good locks?

Wow… proof to the go back to the basics before you go down a rabbit-hole… I fought for over an hour and a copy paste error left 2 little quotes and the end of my network key… paired immediately after that…

(Still don’t have all the entities but the controller is still starting up… hopefully they will show up after that now that they paired properly )

Edit:
So that seemed to work for the entities showing up but I just had a user code triggered when locking the door with the Schlage button… which it never used to do it came up as user code 5… does anyone else use the user codes that is familiar with this behavior.

so, after downloading the latest HA beta, which holds the new Z-wave js, I am confused which will be the integration of choice.

I have a perfectly fine operating Zwave install (now deprecated) https://rc.home-assistant.io/blog/2021/01/27/release-20212/#breaking-changes the OpenZWave is currently not maintained, which doesnt sound good at all…and it was still in Beta…

Like to hear what people are doing. Should we make the jump to Z-wave js already, or give it just that bit more development time (given the fact we cant have them running simultaneously)

The path forward is now zwave-js, it’s beta stats is mostly functional, there’s a few things still missing like barrier operator support (usually used for garage door openers). If you’re wanting to test it out, very similar procedures, just replace the openzwave container for the zwavejs one (most people are using zwavejs2mqtt which can do mqtt and websockets).

ok thanks. Wont pollute this dedicated OZW thread, especially now Let's start talking about the new Z-wave JS integration is alive :wink:

1 Like