How to turn off Home Assistant correctly?

There seems to be a shutdown service in Developer Tools …

2 Likes

The two posts above represent two different operations:

1. Stop Home Assistant Core (which is the function performed by the button that was removed from Configuration > Settings > Server Controls).

2. Shutdown the host system (remains available as a button in Configuration > Add-ons Backups and Supervisor > Services > Shutdown Host).

2 Likes

Ok. Thank you very much!

Thank you very much!!

It’s great to know the difference between the two. This allows you to use one or the other depending on what you want to do. Thank you very much!!

You’re welcome!

Please consider marking my post above with the Solution tag. It will automatically place a check-mark next to the topic’s title which signals to other users that this topic has been resolved. This helps users find answers to similar questions. For more information, refer to guideline 21 in the FAQ.

Hi,

That’ is clear how to stop HA using the service in developper tools.
When HA is stopped using this method , how we can restart it , the UI interface being unavailable ?

Thank you

Done! but I have a doubt. If turning off the Core is the function that the button was removed from. Shut down the host what exactly does it do? Thanks for your help!

Just got to be sure what you mean here:

You intend to start the host system, after it has been turned off through the service call?
You would probably have to physically press the power button on your server, unless you can setup something akin to Wake on Lan, which I believe not all hosts support.

It turns off the computer hosting Home Assistant.

1 Like

Hi @bjorn.sivertsen ,

what i mean : to restart HA through UI after turning off HA through the service call.

Obviously if you’ve already shut down HA, the HA UI isn’t going to be available.

The best solution I’ve found (running HA on a headless server) is to use SSH:

The link above will bring you a little more than half-way down the page, to the section entitled Home Assistant via the command line.

I keep a text file handy with a list of common command-line commands that I use infrequently, so I don’t have to look them up each time.

1 Like

Thank you @CaptTom ,

“ha core start” under SSH will do the job with my supervised installation

Thanks for the explanation of the two differences: shutdown core and shutdown host.
So, the correct way to shutdown the system would be:

1. shutdown core
    → ‘core stop’
    and after that
  2. shutdown host
    → ‘host shutdown’
3 Likes

That was a little confusing because it seemed like it didn’t work and I would just get little black square pop up in the lower left: Failed to call service hassio.host_shutdown. undefined.

Several minutes later and half of the web UI is broken, like Energy, Map, Media. Other options sit on loading forever. Notifications > Dismiss: Failed to call service persistent_notification/dismiss. undefined. Stuff on Overview still seems to work, but maybe it’s just cached.

Really it did work, there was just no good feedback that it had shutdown. Reloading the webpage and getting nothing proved it.

Is this the only way to power off a headless Home Assistant Operating System instance from the web UI?

I think that Settings > System > Shutdown/Reboot would make a lot of sense. And better feedback at the shutdown location that it is or seems to be shutdown.

Home Assistant Core 2022.6.6
HAOS 8.2

7 Likes

If you think the HA service can be improved then please consider putting in a feature request.

Took me a while to find it

System → Hardware (three dots)

28 Likes

I couldn’t find it in the GUI until I saw your post! Thank you!

Thanks, that finally did the trick! Most of the stuff above was just not where it was supposed to be :slight_smile:

I’m new to Home Assistant so it took me a minute looking for System to realize it was in the Settings (gear icon) menu.

Settings > System > Hardware (URL: /config/hardware)

I’m using Home Assistant Operating System on Raspberry PI, Home Assistant Core version 2022.7.3.

Thank you! Much simpler than running the command.

3 Likes