How to update? This is all so confusing!

By the way this means that the config is stored in /home/hajo/docker-volumes/homesssistant on your OS, and that is mapped into /config in your ha container.

If you don’t understand that, it means all your configuration files are in /home/hajo/docker-volumes/homesssistant and are edited there.

1 Like

I have still no idea why my config works — I uncommented a few things but they still work. It‘s not even mentioned in the doc…

Thanks everyone for helping me so far! Actually I haven‘t switched too much — the reason for the update fail was an undocumented dependency that was out of date by the way … super confusing (libsecomp2).

The need for libseccomp is documented, although what exactly you are referring to is a mystery, because the post you pointed relates to installing docker.

Prerequisites

This guide assumes that you already have an operating system setup and a container runtime installed (like Docker).

If you are using Docker then you need to be on at least version 19.03.9, ideally an even higher version, and libseccomp 2.42 or newer.

I believe for nubie who never used docker will be a nightmare, however once you get the hang of it Docker will bring you joy. No more setting dependency, no more OS, no more many other things. So my suggestion is to learn docker.

Better yet to start using Debian Bullseye since HA recommended. The combination between Debian + Docker will help you in the long run. Should you need UI/UX for handling Docker then you can install portainer which again something unnecessary but another joy for Docker on Linux (Windows or mac user already have their dashboard)

With Docker setup upgrade, downgrade, and adding many applications is a brezze and you will enjoy it more. Also you are in control. In my case I started from using the HA OS, move to Docker, and then move to Supervised version + with Proxmox (my current setup)

Anyway welcome and prepare to begin the wonderfull world of Home-Assistant

Actually debian bullseye has nothing to do with running container. debian bullseye is the only supported OS for running supervised, but running container doesn’t seem to have any recommendations as to OS.

Unless I missed something.

1 Like