How to use local ozw_config of z-wave device (HVAC adapter from Systemair)

I have Hassio installed on a Raspberry PI 3 with Aeotec Z-wave stick gen 5. I’ve got a fully working Aeotec multisensor and various other stuff have been added automatically. Just started with Hassio, but quickly hit the wall with this HVAC adapter.

The Z-wave adapter from Systemair is only partially working: two out of four controls are working. I’m editing this post as I have learned a few things since yesterday.

A z-wave device works better if it is defined in the OZW config database. The device I have is not in the OZW database, but it has been added to OpenHAB. It’s defined here:

cd-jackson device library for Systemair z-wave adapter

So from with help from the information in this database, I can make new XML files with manufacturer and the device’s configuration parameters.

How can I test the xml-files with Home-Assistant/Hassio running on a Raspberry PI under docker? Do I have to compile the whole thing myself, or is it possible to add the two XML files locally for testing?

I can see the database files in the various locations on the host, for example:
/mnt/data/docker/aufs/diff/<long code>/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config/

In order to make the adapter work properly, I need to get hold of one of the configuration parameters. As the configuration parameters cannot be discovered by OZW automatically, the xml file is required to define the parameters.

Thermostat and Operation mode are not working

The most important problem is that I cannot set the temperature of the system. The challenge is that the temperature range depends on how the ventilation system is configured. The z-wave adapter must read the settings from the ventilation system, and then the controller (Hassio) should read the supported features at inclusion time. The documentation states that:

The Host shall retrieve the setpoint range using the Thermostat Setpoint Capabilities Get V3 command. In additional to the reported Min and Max Values, 0°C is supported as well.
The device accepts the setpoints in a predefined step in the reported range. It is available via the Configuration CC, parameter 5.

So how can I ensure that the correct command for “Thermostat setpoint capabilities get v3” is run when the node is added to the z-wave network?

It also has a “operation”-mode that should put the ventilation system in energy saving mode, but that doesn’t work either. Here is a screenshot:

I should mention that the z-wave adapter seems to target a commercial smart-home system available in Norway (smartly). I have confirmation from a user of OpenHAB that he has been able to control the temperature and operation mode, but some are also struggling.

Any help would be appreciated.

This link explain how to use custom zwave config files in hassio.

Thanks @Dennis87, interesting that you link to a case involving the Eurotronic Spirit device. I found the solution to the problem I had in the OpenZwave forum on github about the same Eurotronic device: Thermostat set point fix

My solution was to install Hassbian instead of Hassio. Then I compiled the python-openzawe library with the Open-Zwave Dev branch and installed that instead of the official release. Then I had to make a new device xml and put it into the python-library folder on hassbian. The xml file had to specify the following:

<CommandClass id="67" base="0" typeInterpretation="A" />

Then it works. So until the pull request with the new command class Thermostatsetpoint V3 is merged with the master branch in open-zwave, it will not be possible to run Hassio. The fix is scheduled for the 1.6 release, the official version is still 1.4 I think. So I will have to stick with an unstable development branch for a while…

See also this thread: