How to use the vmdk in VirtualBox on Mac?

It starts up with a HASSOS page, and then immediately goes to a normal Linux type startup log. There is not scrollback in the window, so I can’t capture exactly what comes out, but there is no further input required.

ok, started from scratch bij re-downloading the vmdk. Setup a VM with “other linux 64 bit” and the rest as before: 1024gb ram, EFI on, 2 vcpu.

Now, the autoboot screen does not show and it looks like hass is starting, but no matter the network settings I try, I cannot access hassio.local:8123. Nor, when in NAT mode, can I access the ip of the VM (that I found in the virtualbox log). Also ping does not work.

I tried setting port forwarding rules for NAT, as well as setting up the bridged mode, but both failed so far.

@gpbenton, when you suggested bridged mode, I can choose various devices in the “name” dropdown. I tried Wifi (airport) and Bridge0 (the others are ports on my mac that are not in use, like thunderbolt.

Anything else that requires attention in the network area?

Can you log in to the hassio console? Username is root

sorry n00b, how do I do that? I can see a running log on the VM window, but can’t seem to access anything else that I am aware of (basically only hassio.local:8123

I tried ssh into the ip of the vm, but no connection can be established?

When the VirtualBox has finished booting, hit enter in the window, you should get a prompt

Welome to HassOS
hassio login:

Enter root and you should get to the hassio utils

1 Like

ah, yes I can, thanks!

when I then enter “ha info”, I get some json that seems to indicate everything is ok. So, I guess a network config screw-up on my part is the cause here :slight_smile:

Good News :smile:

I think the network configuration is likely to be the next problem. The interface you select should be the one that your Mac uses to connect to the network, but I don’t know enough about Macs to suggest one.

If you type login at the hassio > prompt you get to a command line and can use ping to see if you can access other nodes on the network.

1 Like

Well, before I dive into that one, I wanna say: Thank you for helping me! Awesome!

1 Like

Progress!

Yes, when I login on the console, I can ping both IP’s on my LAN as well as dns names on the internet succesfully.

Additionally, I have set the network configuration to NAT on the VM’s settings, then under the “advanced settings” for network, I created a port forwarding rule from :8123 to :8123 and now I can access home assistant from the browser but only when entering http://:8123

So, the hassio.local name does not work (yet) ,it seems.

makes sense: forwarding ports from the host to the guest to reach those services running on the guest. I can also install add-ons, so going from the guest vm out to the internet is working as well.

However, not sure if that can explain why the dns (or is it bonjour?) is not working for me

There is this note on the install page

If your router doesn’t support mDNS, then you’ll have to use the IP address of your Pi instead of hassio.local. For example, http://192.168.0.9:8123. You should be able to find the IP address of your Pi from the admin interface of your router.

ah, did not know that mDNS is whats exposing the hassio.local address. So when using the vmdk, not only does the router on the lan have to support it, but also VirtualBox or something. I’ll dive into it some more to see what I can do there. THanks again!

Why are you bothered about using hassio.local, that’s only really for noobs who don’t know the IP address of their device. You’re past that now, start doing the interesting stuff :slight_smile:

I tried for ages to get this to work using VM Fusion but got no where, tried VirtualBox and it worked straight away. Only issue I have is I originally used Bridged network which worked fine but uses a different IP to the host device, I’ve changed to NAT but not sure what to put in the Port Forward options as they’re both on the same device?

I would like to get this to work not necessarily because I want to access it as hassio.local, but samba uses the same service to advertise itself on the network, which does make my life a lot easier. But I have not installed that add-on yet, because I figured getting the stock vmdk to work fully would be a good first step.

My current “production” setup is a manual install on an odroid c2, but would like to switch to virtual box on a spare mac mini that is already acting as a server for some other stuff in the house.

In the end I will access the frontend through a dedicated domain I have setup on my static ip the ISP gives my modem :slight_smile:

If you’ve already got an instance of HA on your network you won’t get hassio.local to work as you now have two things advertising themselves as the same thing.

Any help on the port forwarding appreciated?

If you are using NAT, rather than a bridged network, you probably need to forward the ports for mDNS to get it work.

No, that’s not the case as the two instances are on separate networks

I haven’t got port forwarding working for mDNS yet, although I tried forwarding both TCP and UDP ports 5353 from host to guest, but no luck yet. Maybe the other way around is (also) needed, but I won’t have time to work on it for a while, so probably later this month. Please share if you make any progress

I have the Virtual Box Hassio image working , but cannot figure out how to get a working ip address. Should I use NAT or Bridged?

If nat do I need to use port forwarding?