How to wire a Sonoff ZBMINI L2 Extreme for EU 2-way Light Switches

Ahah, it’s slightly different from the diagram you have above (s2 is connected in between the switches and gets live when either is pushed. So there is a flip-flop inside the switch that remembers the state, and this is what this mode is about…

Interesting, thanks! :slight_smile:

The reason why I was reading here is that I am trying to understand what happens if the switch is either disconnected from the Zigbee network or dies completely…
I would expect that in this situation, the state is local, and the switch should keep working as-is even with no zigbee network.
If it dies for whatever reason, your switches stop working, but I don’t know if there is any wiring setup where they do keep working…

Any thoughts?

Woops, I need to fix that, it’s the same like in the video
@mdimjasevic please ignore previous diagram

Untitled (1)

Yes, it does continue working as normal if zigbee network/coordinator goes offline

2 Likes

Thank you again, @ferbulous !

I do not really have an option of running a new wire from one switch to the other. It would be very unpractical because I have a handful of 2-way pairs of switches that would have to be modified this way.

Is this something where two ZBMINIl2 devices can be used, one at each switch, that synchronise their state in software (e.g., in Home Assistant)?

No, just one zbmini L2 for each pair of switches in a 2 way wiring.

I did the same for a few of my 2 way switches. Without new wires theres no way. Also 2 zbminis wint help anything you need a permanent live wire and the wire that fonnecte to your light in one place for the ZBmini to work which currently you dont have.
It’s not a lot of work, just a few wire nuts/clamps and two short leads, but you have to replace the rocker switches.
Once wired, power the zbmini and press the button on the mini L2 three times to switch to momentary switch mode.

Thanks to all contributors to this thread I was able to smartify my existing 2-way switch, powering my hallway lights.
A couple of notes:

• It sort of bothers me to look at this bulb with the single wire so I’m adding my own diagram

• I was taught lights don’t have a live and a neutral wire, they have a live and a ‘lamp’ wire, and the huge difference is that you should never ever break a neutral. Фаза and Лампов on my diagram

• I had a spare Live at my 2nd switch which made installation simple, however it was coming from a 2nd breaker (same phase, different breakers). Technically not an issue, but I don’t feel proud about it. Also, killing this 2nd breaker breaks the 2-way switch circuit, so I would assume if the Sonoff ZBMini goes dead for whatever reason (not Off but like dead) it will mean I have no lights. Which isn’t good.

I’d love to see other implementations.
corrior_light_sonoff_zbminiL2.light.drawio

Hi, this is how I managed to use the ZBMINI for 2-way light switches in my apartment: Hallway lights automation - Paco's Smart Home

I hope my post is useful.

Kind regards,
Paco.

The only way without new wires is if you happen to have the relevant wires at the ceiling rose. Then you can put the zbmini at the light fitting instead of the switch.

1 Like

Hi,

I have this kind of wiring for my two way switch and I have been struggling to add a ZBMINI L2 to this system. Is it even possible?

Hope somebody can help!

Pierre

exactly the same setup as my diagram two posts above, just try to rotate one of the pictures upside down :slight_smile:

Thanks for the answer! I figured it out and had to rewire some of the connection in the selling but now it is working!

Hi Community!
I try to find a solution with existing switches without the need of a new wire (L) and came across this video. They are using a Shelly 1L. It is in German language. But the creator shared a wiring diagram here. I thought it should be working with the ZBMINIL2 as well but I could not make it work? The switches do not trigger the ZBMINIL2 and I do not know why.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance!
BR

You can refer to this one, just that you’ll need to replace the switches with momentary type and change the switch mode

1 Like

Many thanks for your reply!
If it is the only way, I will need to change switches. But I still hope, there is a way to make it work with the existing switches and without the need of a new wire.
BR

You can stil convert existing ones to momentary but it depends on your switch

At least for mine (eu/uk) I can just add a tiny spring to it

Excuse my ignorance here. But if wiring a single switch works but puting L1 and switch live in and the main light swith on S1 And S2 then why could that same configeration not work for 2 way switching?

After all that’s how a 2 way swith is wired except both commons are connected togther

See my diagram.

Its the same as having 1 switch but using 2
As long as both commons are connected surly it would function the same?

Or am i missing something here.

As pointed out above, in many cases it is quite easy to convert a regular rocker switch to a momentary one without needing to replace the entire switch. All you need is a spring, as most manufacturers will reserve a slot for the spring if they have a momentary switch in the same line of products. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YOVekZR8Xo

this is how i slotted the spring into my regular rocker switch

Then just basically bridge L1 or L2 to L

Not sure… but wouldn’t this require an additional wire? Same as the solution above?

Many thanks for all your replies!
I think with the momentary switches it will surely work.

One last try with the existing switches. :wink:

I have tried the wiring according to this. Should work with no neutral and without the need of a new wire.

But somehow I do not get it to work. :roll_eyes:
Is it because the shelly and the ZBMiniL2 are somehow different?

Many thanks again for any help!

Just wanted to say that I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm!

Added springs to convert my existing switches to momentary switches, wired following your diagram and voilà!

Thanks a lot!