Howto: Installing HassIO in Docker on a Proxmox NUC server

install the samba share addon and access it from your computer.

Some snapshot info: https://gist.github.com/cogneato/24d5a1a0daddec9d048048201170df8b#file-snapshots-md

Thanks guys, that helped, sorted.

I’m wondering why no one is doing
Proxmox :arrow_right: LXC Debian/Ubuntu :arrow_right: Docker :arrow_right: HassIO

?

In order for Docker to run in LXC, you have to disable most of the security features.

I have hassio running inside Proxmox on a test mid-2011 MacBook Air. There is no OSX, I completely wiped it and only loaded Proxmox. I finally figured out how to disable the backlight and screen, but now I have what I believe to be unusually hight CPU usage. Is it normal for my hassio image to be at 30% plus consistently with an i5 processor?

30% seems a bit much, although it would depend on the Hassio addons you have running.

You could SSH into Hassio and issue the top command, which would show you which processes are using cpu cycles.

1 Like

Hi, just installed proxmox and a VM with HASSoS, everything is working fine, except the DHCP addon of HASSIO.

It gives the below error. I am not sure what do I have to put in DHCP configuration under interfaces
“interface”: “enp0s25” (the NUC ethernet)
or
“interface”: “vmbr0” of proxmox ??

Under network devices I have options for
Intel E 1000
Virt0 Paravirtualized
Realtek RTL 1c89
Vmwave vmxnet3

`type or paste code here`

[14:41:26] INFO: Creating DHCP configuration...
[14:41:51] INFO: Starting DHCP server...
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.4.1
Copyright 2004-2018 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Config file: /etc/dhcpd.conf
Database file: /data/dhcpd.lease
PID file: /var/run/dhcp/dhcpd.pid
Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Wrote 18 leases to leases file.
Multiple interfaces match the same shared network: vmbr0 enp0s18
Failed to get interface index: No such device
If you think you have received this message due to a bug rather
than a configuration issue please read the section on submitting
bugs on either our web page at www.isc.org or in the README file
before submitting a bug.  These pages explain the proper
process and the information we find helpful for debugging.
exiting.

Neither. HassOS doesn’t see those devices directly it sees a virtualized nic. Why are you trying to use the DHCP add-on? Have you removed your DHCP server on your router first?

My router handles dhcp poorly, yes I disabled dhcp on it.

Tried to do a dhcp server on a separate pi3 but having a hard time.

Before proxmox the dhcp server hassio addon was great for my needs (assign a static ip to all my devices, around 200).

There is no way I can make the HASSIO DHCP addon work under proxmox (or is too complicated)?

EDIT: seems the solution was to put
“interface”: “enp0s18”

Yes. The interface that HassOS has. It’s a virtualized interface that is attached to vmbr0

this worked great on my Proxmox:
https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_hassos_install

2 Likes

As a test I also followed that instruction…
First I installed ‘Proxmox’ (from proxmox.com as ISO) on spare and old machine (Dell Optiplex 780).
All the installation was very fine…

Maybe I’ll move my ‘hass.io’ form RPI3+ to IntelNUC with Proxmox.
What could be the advantage in case of future options/possibilities?

hi @woody4165 I have Hassio running in Proxmox on my NUC i3-8109 using whiskerz007 one line process. All works fine but I’m unable to assign my usb bluetooth dongle Asus BT400 to a USB port. I Installed drivers and all works fine in Proxmox, But just I try to associate it to a usb port in my VM with Hassio it show error: Bluetooth: hci0: urb 00000000a24bb708 failed to resubmit (2)
Can you help me?

I’m sorry, I’ve never used a BT Usb dongle.
I’m using only a Conbee stick for Zigbee and i’ts working fine without doing anything special.
Probably, there will be someone else that have BT dongle that can help you…

I have the same problem with other USB device (here more info…). It is seen in ‘proxmox’, but NOT in ‘hass.io’. I’ve tried a lot possibilities - but no result…
Looks like there is some bug in this kind of installation…

P.S. I’ve set-up the same configuration on plain PC (not Intel-NUC) and there is the same problem…
Hope someone will find solution of this problem…

It is perfectly fine, as you can see buff/cache is really high, it means the following:

Unused memory is wasted memory , so the Linux kernel attempts to use this memory to improve performance. If your applications want more memory, they just take back a chunk that the disk cache borrowed. Disk cache can always be given back to applications immediately! You are not low on ram! You should only look to the “available” column. More info at https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Hope this helps as I was having the same “issue”

1 Like

Have you resolve the problem about this error ?
I have the same problem, and i don’t resolve…
I have install hassio directly, debian docker with HA.
In all installation the same problem with Bluetooth integrate, and the dongle.
If i install intel nuc HA image work perfect.
But i won’t to use a nuc only HA… :frowning:

not sure if this helps any but I run Hass.io on ProxMox (on a HP server) but am able to access 2 usb devices (Conbee zigbee and a z-wave controller). Here is my config in ProxMox:

1 Like

There is no way in hell I would have worked that out!