[HowTo] Setting up a Telegram Bot for all your Home Automation messages

This (also) works and is easy to use.

EDIT: did some testing, the node-red-contrib-telegrambot-home is also a nice way to poll without the need of having Hassio to be publicly accessible from the internet .

Strangeā€¦ Iā€™m not on ARM.

I guess I will have to try the alternatives, I will have some free time to test them later in the week, I will come back with the report, thx for now.

Not sure if I am just stupid, or if itā€™s that I havent slept in 3 days, but if I am simply sending videos Iā€™ve captured in Motioneye, is there any benefit to using the chatbot palette?

IMHO, stupid questions do not exist. Well, I hope not, I ask ā€˜stupidā€™ questions a lot of the timeā€¦ :crazy_face:

When I started Home Automation, back 2011 or so, it was quite a struggle to connect several different Home Automation platforms together. So I started to connect the ā€˜dotsā€™ using Node-Red and Redbot. I (still) using a separate Node-Red Docker for that reason.

When I started this topic I never used Home Assistant. If you watch the development through the past year, it is incredible how it is evolved! So maybe the point of using my kind of configuration is not necessary anymore.

To get back to your question, the advantages of using the node-red-contrib-chatbot palette, in my point of view:
1 - Itā€™s highly configurable/flexible.
2 - If necessary, it can be used for different messenger-platforms (Telegram, Facebook Messenger, Slack, Discord, Twillio, Viber)
3 - Well documented with a lot of examples [link].
4 - Well maintained.
5 - No need to be publicly accessible from the internet.
6 - It is fun to experiment with.

There are many roads that lead to Rome. Do you really need it? Itā€™s up to youā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I think right now, while I learn how it works, Iā€™ll stick to the basics but I have this bookmarked for later. I run a small business and use Facebook for business, so I certainly see how that would be useful in the future.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what is wrong but this one doesnā€™t work either for me. I get the same polling errors. I can send messages using service call Iā€™ve added Telegram integration in my configuration.yaml with broadcast option. This didnā€™t stop polling errors.

Iā€™m stumpedā€¦I suggested everything that I could think of.

My only other advice (which I already stated) is to start from bone scratch regarding Telegram.

Just to be clear, configuration of the HA Telegram-broadcast integration is complete separate from any use in Node-Red used Telegram nodes.

Any errors in Node Red have nothing to do with the HA Telegram-broadcast integration.

1 Like

I was running my house bot both in YAML and Node-RED and was getting multiple instances errors until I changed it from polling to broadcast in HA, just an FYI. At least in that instance, the HA bot was interfering with my Node-RED bot.

Unless your sending messages with the HA-Broadcast-integration and your trying to receive and handle it with Node-Red Nodes, interference can be happening, and visa versa. Maybe you can try to use different (separate) bots for both config.

Maybe then you can pin down what is happening and where the errors come from. Just a suggestion.

Oh no I figured mine out long ago, I was just adding that sometimes they can interfere in certain cases.

So it is solved?

I think youā€™ve got me confused with the other guy who was having the issues :smiley:

Your right, excuse meā€¦ :blush:

1 Like

I have started four times from scratch just to get the same result each time. The only solution for me is to use the configured bot in HA and call service node. Nothing else works, I suspect it has to be the setup I have (Intel NUC with Proxmox running basic Hassio with duckdns and NGINX) that is causing this issue.

I would like to get to the source and find a solution but the error is so basic and doesnā€™t give me any clues, so basically I have no idea what else I can do.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Hi all,

Running into some (probably basic) issues with the Node-Red Chatbot nodes, on Hassio in Docker (installed node-red via the HassIO add-ons):

I can connect to Telegram and send simple text messages, however, two Nodes Iā€™m not able to configure.

First of the Conversation Node, Iā€™m not able to select any Transporter (should be ā€œTelegramā€ if Iā€™m correct) nor Iā€™m able to select the bot configurationsā€¦(while this works in the output node):

Second is the Image Node which does not seem to do anything? Iā€™ve put in a URL to a image, entered a caption and connected it to the sender node, but nothing happens. The Debug also doesnā€™t show any output (earlier on in the flow it does show output):

Anybody has any idea what could be wrong, are they known bugs or is there something wrong with my installation?

Thanks!

1 Like

Same here, after the latest update a lot of my flows arent working anymore because ā€œtransportā€ is missing. But theres nothing to choose. Its just empty. I know that i could use a function node but than i wouldnt need the conversation node anymore.

@Flight777
I dont think you need a bot configuration. Its already configured in the the sending node.

Hi Flight - I have just registered for you in this forum to answer you! I have the same issue and to me there are multiple bugs in this release of red-node. but I have a workaround for you. if you check the description and the options of this node you can find an info where it says that you can pass the parameters via a function node parameters needed are chatid and the transport ā€¦ in my case it was telegramā€¦ see screenshot:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Your feedback is highly appreciated! :+1:

Thanks all for your support!

Iā€™ve did some more troubleshooting and it definitely has something do to with the Node-Red Hassio add-on. Now running a separate NodeRed instance in docker and all my problems disappearedā€¦

So for now the best way is to run NodeRed not via the add-on but on itā€™s own, connecting to HA is very easy :slight_smile: