Hue bridge died - options?

Indeed, out-of-the-box support for custom features/functions in new devices + always getting the latest firmware updates from the official source are usually the main benefits of using the manufacturer’s commercial Zigbee gateway/bridge/hub with their own branded devices.

The main downside to that (other than having to maintain different brand hubs in multiple apps) is that manufacturer’s own Zigbee gateways/bridges/hubs normally only support their own brand of devices, and Zigbee heavily relies on mesh networking using indirect routing over Zigbee Router devices in the Zigbee network to achieve better range and coverage, so optimally you want to keep all your Zigbee devices on the same Zigbee network if possible to get good range and coverage.

Zigbee radios have very short range and poor wall penetrating signals to its network mesh technology and Zigbee Router devices is the key to a stable Zigbee network, and that will not work well in practice if you need to use a different Zigbee gateway/bridge/hub for each brand of devices that you buy if you only have a few devices connected to each and spread out those far away. See these tips which apply to all Zigbee solutions (even proprietary Zigbee gateways/bridges/hubs ) → Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization

well, hope the OP will be able to filter all of this into something useful, it sure feels like we’re being offered some Chat GPT advise here, did you ask it for help by any chance?

Nope (are you trolling?), I actually know ‘all this stuff’ quite well (thanks to my OCD), as my stats summary here on this community forum should hopefully show. I’m been a contributing member for many years now, and I have actively contributed to both ZHA (including zigpy) and Zigbee2MQTT projects. While I do not many code contributions to ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT, believe that I might be the largest contributor to the ZHA integration documentation → https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/blob/6e0591840026bdafb108bed1b98e280f1edd3b6d/source/_integrations/zha.markdown and think I’m also in the top-10 list of contributors to the Zigbee2MQTT documentation as well → GitHub - Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt.io: 📘 Zigbee2mqtt documentation

This is why I put together that comprehensive guide in a thread about working around the biggest issues of Zigee as all that information is way too compact to fit into normal end-user documentation → https://community.home-assistant.io/t/guide-for-zigbee-interference-avoidance-and-network-range-coverage-optimization/515752 (though some of the essences of that I have managed to summarize and gotten into the official ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT documentation, which is hopefully enough work around some of the most common peculiarities which many Zigbee users will probably stumble into sooner or later).

well, sure didnt want to offend you, I guess your condition trickled through. I wouldn’t have guessed, sorry about that.
I can see why you would be in the top 10 of most active contributors :wink:

maybe now focus on the original ask here, and not try to show off all that we can produced on a single subject.