Hue light configuration for UI?

Hi,

I’ve recently installed Home Assistant using docker on my Synology NAS.
The system managed to automagically configure my Hue bridge during setup.
However the web UI only allows me to configure brightness and toggle the lights.
There is no colour/scene selection by default.

Questions :

• what do I need to do to have more than ‘on/off’ and brightness controls for lights in the web UI ?
  • Is this where the HabDashboard is needed as the actual UI for humans ? (I did manage to install that on my NAS using docker)
  • is this something I can even expect HA to do ?

The cookbook ( https://www.home-assistant.io/cookbook ) lists complete configurations, but having to go read them all just to find one that might have a similar feature is not exactly easy if you’re only looking for a basic step-by-step tutorial for a specific feature.

I think that once I grok this I can probably do the same for my Sonos setup.

The color selection becomes available when the light is switched on.

I hadn’t noticed the colour selection in the secondary dialog, because I hadn’t even thought about clicking on that option as it were.

Any idea if there is a way that allows me to set both at the same time ?

Ideally I’d want to mimmick the Hue widgets that are available in the Hue app itself.
Example :

• switch all lights to ‘night light’
  • switch light to ‘relax’ with a single press of a button

I suppose this is where scripting might be needed, but it also feels like it is something someone must have done before.
A tutorial on making this sort of stuff would be useful.

There are endless possibilites so you’re probably not going to find a step by step tutorial for your specific needs. Take a look at the docs, cookbook and search the forum. Start playing with automations. This should get you started;

1 Like

I do something like you are asking with an input select and an automation or two. Its a bit cumbersome for something so basic, but it works for me.

The input select has a number of standard colors available.
https://github.com/SilvrrGIT/HomeAssistant/blob/master/input_select.yaml#L4

Then an automation monitors that input select for any change and fires. Using the new state the light is turned on and the color changed.

For a ‘non standard color’ I used a script. (this matches the color temperature of the other bulbs in the room)

Note that the two automations have conditions to only fire if an applicable color is selected.

1 Like

@silvrr thanks :smiley:
That looks like something I could use for my system.
I’ll have to dig into the ‘include file/directory’ syntax as well I think.

It can all be put into one file, however, as your config gets larger it is easier (at least for me) to split them up. Otherwise you have a lot of scrolling to do moving around the single file.

Look into hass scenes

Any benefit to scenes vs. scripts? I meant to look into it awhile back but never really got around to it.

A bit different use cases between them

Scene
You can create scenes that capture the states you want certain entities to be. For example, a scene can specify that light A should be turned on and light B should be bright red.

Script
The script component allows users to specify a sequence of actions to be executed by Home Assistant when turned on.

Thanks, so the the differences seem to be down to the entry method in the yaml file and the ability to control the sequence of events?

Scripts can have delays in them so they are useful when interacting with other services where anything but a saved state is wanted

@Robban and I suspect that if I wanted a transition (like a ‘sunrise’/‘sunset’ simulation) then I’d have to script it, right ?
Are there sunset/sunrise simulation scripts ?
I know those things are build-into the Hue system.

@silvrr : I know everything can be in a big ol’ file, but that’s very messy and difficult to maintain.
I’m already glad that the default configuration has groups as a separate file.

I forgot the default now has a few includes, it was just one big ol file when I started. Not sure if the include option was available in the beginning.

If you are talking about changing the temp of your bulbs based on the time of days when you reference “sunset/sunrise simulation scripts” check out

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks @Robban and @silvrr :smiley:
It’s nice to know that there are already working solutions to that part of my quest.

I’ve got plenty of info and a much better idea of how HA works and what it can do.
I consider this the ‘hello world’/demo project of home automation.
By keeping things simple it becomes easier to understand how and why stuff works.

Yes, the best thing is to just play around