Hue motion sensors + remotes: custom component

Makes sense, I’ll be moving back to the CC. Curious why @robmarkcole wasn’t included in native development. Would be a no-brainer, IMO.

Well it sounds like an issue with v1 hubs. I’ve got a v2 hub and never had an issue with it being unavailable

V2 here and 2-3 sec delay with the native component…

Yeah, I’ve been using your component with a v2 for several months with no issues, I’ve got around 20 bulbs and accessories (a few remotes and a tap, and an outdoor sensor), plus a ton of other IOT traffic on my network (tasmota switches, caseta dimmers, wemo and other brand outlets, google homes, alexa devices, several IP cameras). It all works fine.

FWIW I have a v2 bridge and use the CC for my FOH switches but switched to the native for motion sensor and get instant updates, no delay. I am in the Hue Beta program, however, so my hub is at version ‘1932073040’

1 Like

I’m trying to use a Hue Remote (or a tap switch) to control shades. I’d like to click once to open, click again to stop, click again to keep opening, and so on, and double click (or hold) to close. Can anybody give me some ideas on how to get there?

well, you’re lucky, many people are experiencing unavailability issues for lights and the Hub, for a long time (since Hue integration went async) and still unresolved.

see here and the link I copied in that post.

But that’s another discussion altogether from the motion sensors and your fine CC compared to the now native Hue sensors integration.

I didn’t have an issue with my 4 remotes till I tried to add 5 motion sensors got 4 added but couldn’t add the 5th. Then remotes started to drop off. I don’t have any hue lights. Except the one globe I plugged in to initial setup the bridge and app. But then I unplugged it. So I took everything to the office including the globe and reset the whole system. Everything was working at the office. Get it back home and same issue What I found was that without that 1 light globe remotes and sensors would become unavailable. Plug in the globe and every thing was fine. I did start using the native HA hue during all this investigating but from reading the above I with got back to using the CC instead. For now my daughter has a new desk lamp with the hue globe plugged in.

Hey Robin, i red now your Plugin is part of homeassistant.

thanks for your work and help
Jan

Just checking - I have been using this custom component now for a long time (dimmers & sensors). All works well, but I’m now aware that this has been added into the core. Do I still need to use this custom component? Does the core work with sensors & dimmers?

Core works with motion sensors only, not the dimmer/tap/FOH switch.

Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification on that.

Feels a bit messy having two lots of sensors available for the motion/temp/light sensors.

It’s a shame that the dimmers haven’t been incorporated - any idea if this is on the cards?

I personally use the official integration for my motion sensor and just omit binary_sensor.py from the custom component. Many people have reported poor performance of the motion sensor with the official integration but I don’t see a difference.

I have no idea what the status is of the other Hue accessories with the official integration.

checking the HA configuration before updating to 0.94 show me this:

anyone else see this, or would this be a config issue on my side?

using:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: huesensor
device_tracker:
sensor:

thanks for having a look

I am seeing the same error… but the rest of the component seems to be working

Newly updated to 0.94. I’m getting this now:

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Error while setting up platform huesensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/app/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py”, line 126, in _async_setup_platform
SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 416, in wait_for
return fut.result()
File “/config/custom_components/huesensor/sensor.py”, line 168, in async_setup_platform
await data.async_update_info()
File “/config/custom_components/huesensor/sensor.py”, line 225, in async_update_info
bridges = get_bridges(self.hass)
File “/config/custom_components/huesensor/sensor.py”, line 148, in get_bridges
for entry in hass.data[hue.DOMAIN].values()
KeyError: ‘hue’

config:

sensor:

• platform: huesensor

The hue bridge is added by discovery and all the lights work via HA.

Getting the same issue on 0.94.1, rolled back to 0.94.0 and they work again.

hassio ha update --version=0.94.0

this must have something to do with the new device_tracker service/requirements?

@robmarkcole do we need to have dedicated device_tracker settings in the config, or does the component need updating to the requirements of HA0.94.x ?

everything works fine (and is conform docs settings) on HA below .094

thanks for having a look

Updated to 94.1 and got this error
Unable to prepare setup for platform huesensor.sensor: Could not set up all dependencies
Unable to set up dependencies of hue. Setup failed for dependencies: mqtt
Setup failed for mqtt: Component failed to initialize

Edit: I restarted HA again and now all errors are gone… wierd

I have also noticed the key error and device_tracker failure.
Since I am not using device_tracker I just removed it.

For the key error, I created PR here: https://github.com/robmarkcole/Hue-sensors-HASS/pull/144 which needs to be merged fixing the issue. If you would like to use it now and not wait you can just grab the files yourself. I think this is related to recent Hue bridge update and not HASS since I encountered this also on 0.93.x.

I might look into the device_tracker when I have the time and nobody looked into it by then.

2 Likes