Hue Sensors not working

Hey guys,

I am brand new to Home Assistant. Moved over from OpenHab2 due to the incompatibility with HomematicIP.

Currently I am struggling with Hue-sensors-HASS by robmarkcole. I am aware of the documentation but I dont get it work.

What I did so far:

• I added my Hue to Home Assistant
  • I create custom_components/hue and added the three Python scripts there
  • groups.yaml is containing this at the moment:
    default_view:
      view: yes
      entities:
        - group.Hue

Hue:
      entities:
        - binary_sensor.flur_motion_sensor
        - sensor.flur_temperature
        - sensor.flur_light_level
        - sensor.flur_lux
        - sensor.flur_remote

My questions are these:

1. Do I need to add this and if so where?
binary_sensor:
  - platform: hue
device_tracker:
sensor:
  1. Where do I get the name of my Hue sensor? Currently it is named “Hue Motion Sensor Flur”
  2. The Home Assistant only shows “Entity not available”

Thats it so far, hope to get some hints here…

Best,
Dirk

Due to a recent change in how custom_components work, I suggest following this post for how you set this component up.

thanks aetolus, I renamed hue to huesensor but this is not helping. I guess I need someone who checks my config and tells me what I am doing wrong…

It works now. I solved it on my own but want to share my insights to maybe help other people in the future!

• create the folder “custom_components” in your “config” folder

• create a folder named “huesensor” there and add the according three Python scripts of the author

• modify your configuration.yaml and add huesensor to your potentially already existing sensor definition

sensor:
            # Weather prediction
            - platform: yr
            - platform: huesensor

• add the other two sensors to the root of your configuration.yaml

binary_sensor:
      device_tracker:

• now you can use your Hue sensors and switches in Home Assistant

And one last thing: as I am moving over from OpenHab: the OpenHab community is very active. I thought the same about this HA community as well but one answer in my thread here isnt what I count active. Hope that this is only a bad example and the HA community is quite active.

Best,
Dirk

1 Like

since you’re brand new to HA, I gladly point you to the thread that has covered your issue extensively… and has described the solution for it multiple times.

I’d strongly suggest, before judging this active community as ‘bad’ you read up first, and try and find your issue in the many topics on this fine community…

please see: Hue motion sensors + remotes: custom component - #875 by Gluwc

cheers!

1 Like

thanks for your reply and thanks for pointing out the right solution but as I found my solution its too late yet. And I have not judged this community as “bad”, please re-read my post before judging me.

1 Like