Humidity spike automation

What do you use to start the fan, sonoff or something?

My fan is connected to a touch wall switch (with RF control) so it can be operated manually or via RF codes (OpemMQTTGateway in may case). I also use a Wemos D1 Mini to get the status of the fan (on/off) as the switch is dumb and I don’t know if someone switched the fan on by touching it.

Very curious to see how you tackled this as well! I have seen other approaches where bathroom RH is compared to outside RH as a trigger for running the fan, but this is so much more elegant. Can’t wait :slight_smile:

I was thinking to also include a temporary spike in heat (open tado radiator thermostat and/or floor heater) to get rid of humidity even quicker…

Currently it’s triggered by the shower humidity only, but I think it needs to take into account the outside humidity as well because at the moment if it rains, my automation doesn’t always work as there’s not enough gradient due to high humidity outside and inside.
Actually, I have outside humidity data and bathroom humidity sensor as well, just need to come out with a solution how to take them all into account (the latter might help when the external humidity is high) and find time to implement/test it (the hardest bit, quite busy time atm).

It might be an option, I haven’t got so far (can control my boiler bit not separate room temperatures, floor heater is electrical but not yet controllable by HA).
In my case I have one fan above the shower and the other one in 1.5 meters from it. I just run them both, and it’s pretty efficient. The only downside is it collects plenty of dirt so you need to clean it regularly (mine is white and it’s pretty obvious).

Any luck on finding time to.share this? Very interested in fine tuning what I have as well. Let’s share code and collaborate!

Well, my DHT22 has died 2 months ago and I yet to find time to replace it with BM280 and flash it with ESPHome… just added to my automation reaction to temperature spikes and run time limit so it kind of keep on working (but the humidity version is way better in any department).
Hope to share my config eventually.

This looks interesting. Testing it now.

1 Like