Hunter Douglas Powerview component - expanding this API

Let’s see how it goes now, installed 0.110.2 today.

There is a bugfix :slight_smile: "Fix shade compatibility with hunter douglas powerview 1.0 hubs"

A bit lost here but are you @safepay the developer of this integration? Looking at investing €6k in sun shades but not sure if the following type is supported by the integration? Would be great to know before investing in this.

Sorry, don’t know the English names so I’ll post an image instead :blush:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/-Khfns6PFQnh1VugRPNwknmyrcfakiNajiRgsyXc4b25-sWZPvgbvx8fa9lAW4EWvJBYrTGZDopznkTr7U5Vb1QUWXwLADiKlLeaOS9XJ0jQ-KWv0Xdt_E9X0YrwX0FfyHNGxDMeo-eF

long shot… has anyone figured out a way to make Hunter Douglas Top Bottom Up Down blinds appear in Homekit via Home Assistant with the correct controls?

HomeKit does support the Top/Bottom/Up/Down control — if you use the native HD HomeKit integration, it shows them — so clearly ‘just’ need a way to tell HomeKit to use the appropriate controller. Currently they just get the up/down controller. Any ideas?

I am the original developer but I don’t use this integration. This is an old Luxaflex blind motor.

I am going to install Somfy. They work with Luxaflex blinds and have much better HA support.

Luxaflex also have the newer Qmotion and are not making the PowerView motors anymore I understand.

Thanks a lot for your feedback on this! Installing this is quite expensive so want to make it right from the beginning.

I’ll see if I can get the Somfy motors instead, unfortunately I need to buy them at a different store than the blinds. Do you know if there are sub-brands to Somfy or a specific product line I should chose to get the integration with Home Assistant to work or is any Somy motor right?

They still use these in Europe. I see they switched in Australia. I would love the tilt integration as well.
I just bought those with powerview. There’s no option for another motorisation over here.
I have a powerhub 2

I’m new to HA here, but have used other systems for many years. I have some Powerview shades with dual action (top/down, bottom/up) and they’re only controllable on the bottom/up part.

Is there a way to get the top/down part controllable? I’d be ok with them being treated as a separate shade if that makes it easier to have a slider control.

None of the code owners for the integration have those type of devices so it’s unlikely that support will be added any time soon.

Your best bet would be to open a PR to add support for them or find someone willing to do the work who has access to similar devices.

hey mate - mentioned over here Adding Tilt to the Hunter Douglas PowerView Cover integration (Luxaflex) - #9 by peterclark

it’s coming.

Your Issue you raised would indicate you are ok hitting the api yourself. Can you go to http://yourip/api/shades and make sure your top/down blind is either type 8 or 47

I havent been able to find any API documentation detailing all the different shade types and these are the only two currently supported in the API

The Duette units I’ve got are type 8.

It’s tedious wading through the /api/shades data since they use Base64 to encode the shade names. Notepad++ and the MIME plugin to the rescue!

@wkearney99 I want to share some information with you about top down bottom up shades, and I wanted to PM you, but since I just created this user account today, I am apparently forbidden to PM you, can you please PM me and I can reply with the information.

I have a bunch of Duolite shades, and the API lists them as type 9. I also have a single top-down/bottom-up Duette shade which is type 8. Home Assistant seems to be exposing both identically though. It’s very frustrating to me that this integration only exposes the bottom rail and not the middle rail.

The cover platform doesn’t seem to have direct support for top-down/bottom-up shades for some reason. Absent that, the powerview integration could always expose a second entity here for the middle rail, that just has the potential to be confusing with the position slider. I suppose the middle rail entity could interpret its position relative to the bottom rail, e.g. 100% open would mean “calculate the appropriate position based on the current position of the bottom rail” and moving the bottom rail could then just calculate a new middle rail position accordingly. That should be doable with the cover platform today, although I have to imagine that top-down/bottom-up shades aren’t that uncommon so maybe the cover platform should be extended to support this notion directly instead.

There is an open pull request that might get you there: Add support for topdown shades to hunterdouglas_powerview by kingy444 · Pull Request #62788 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

There is an architecture discussion open on this topic here Extending Cover Entity - Support for multiple motors · home-assistant/architecture · Discussion #745 · GitHub

1 Like

Just sent you a PM for the info i need to include these

sorry to bug on this, curious on the state of tdbu (such a mouth full to write/say! top down bottom up) blinds, it looks like this PR was merged? 2022.7 perhaps?

Will be in beta on the 29th
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/render?cid=p07n98go11onamd08d0kmq6jhs%40group.calendar.google.com

We hope you’ll join us for the beta and provide feedback

100% will!

@Kingy444 you already have Pirouette done! they are type 18 and capabilities 1; with tilt support already…

Yea at the time I didn’t realise this :joy: Made sense because no other shade used two type codes for one type

Made including them much easier :wink:

I recently upgraded to HA 2022.7.3 — and looks like TDBU was merged already?! amazing. I thought it’d be in beta for much longer.

here is my understanding of how TDBU works via HA:

top blind is the top bar. 0 is when the bar is at top. 100 is when the bar is as far away from top as possible. bottom blind is the bottom bar. 0 is when the bar is at the bottom. 0 is when the bar is at the top. so:

close blind:
top blind = 0
bottom blind = 0

open blind:
top blind = 0
bottom blind = 100

top half closed:
top blind = 0
bottom blind = 50

bottom half closed:
top blind = 50
bottom blind = 0

if anyone was working on some form of middle ware for how to control blinds with remotes i’d love to see it because my node red is becoming insanity! 1 pico remote controls 3 blinds in one room. https://share.cleanshot.com/LXZxZy