I don't have much luck with Z-Wave. What do you use?

Running flawlesly here (12 devices - all mains connected). Have you included the devices securely or insecurely ? Have you looked at the routing graph to see if all devices go via 1 node for example. Is everything Zwave plus ?

I am thinking of going back to using my finger for lights and guessing the temperature. HA is beautiful and so is every other device I throw at it. With venv the world is my oysterā€¦until it comes to z-wave. I face another z-wave disaster due to my own inexperience with docker. And I donā€™t think I had a backup plan in place for the XML files, thatā€™s all on me. Tonight Iā€™m sad and looking for some other solution because I face having to remove/include everything again. Until today I was still going through the process of fixing the network from the last time I made a mess. Iā€™ve never had to rebuild my Hue network ever and itā€™s so easily integrated into HA. Z-wave is a nightmare because renaming the nodes in the source changes how HA sees the devices. Then I have to double-check every automation. Even with find and replace itā€™s tedious. I have a Vera device that I can use in place but it has itā€™s own host of problems.

Thatā€™s what made me stop trying with HA Z-Wave options.
Hubitat works great as long as you donā€™t do automation with the hub.
Just link it with the custom component and itā€™s the perfect bridge.

Iā€™m going to look at this today. Do you know if this is ā€˜betterā€™ than the Vera? I didnā€™t like the Vera interface and itā€™s z-wave system seemed slower.

So back when I used SmartThings everybody said that Vera was ā€œoldā€ and didnā€™t support many devices.
Now I know theyā€™ve done some stuff lately but I honestly havenā€™t given them a shot.

IF and this is a big IF Home Assistant nails Z-Wave and thereā€™s none of this dead node business that ruined two of my weekends anymore I will switch to HA Z-Wave to get rid of as many things as possible but Iā€™m not holding my breath.

Hubitat is local, itā€™s very fast if youā€™re just using the custom component with HA.
There is an issue with it needing to be rebooted.
Itā€™s nowhere near as bad if you donā€™t have any automations in Hubitat, mine are all in HA so back when I was curious I didnā€™t have to reboot it for weeks.

Now I just have a script in HA that reboots it once a week for me.

I think Iā€™m going to need to go this route, if only for my sanity. I canā€™t tell how much time Iā€™ve spent fighting z-wave. This morning my wife felt bad for me and suggested throwing money at the situation. Alas, itā€™s not money I need to fix this problem. (and if there are super amazing products for the ultra wealthy, I canā€™t afford it!). Bad news for me is that Hubitat is out of stock. I canā€™t find at Amazon either. The Vera is good. To be honest Iā€™m worried about where the code is written. I know, probably a moot point. It doesnā€™t like my garage door covers, and I doesnā€™t play well with my zwave lock. Sigh.

1 Like

Oh bummer itā€™s out of stock. The SmartThings integration works really well but you might need a Nabu Casa account. Plus SmartThings isnā€™t local and just stops working for no good reason and you canā€™t just reboot it like Hubitat.

Hubitat isnā€™t perfect but itā€™s got z-wave done pretty well. It has some CPU problems though. Or has Java architecture issues. If you run automations in HA and just use it as a bridge itā€™s very solid.

I stick with HA for everything - in the past I just used Vera as a hub. HA is frigging awesome, so anything I can automate or write a script for, I prefer to do it there.

At the risk of starting a heated debate; Iā€™ll simply say z-wave is just problematic to use an euphemism.

I made the mistake of being the first thing i implemented in HA 3.5 years ago, because the people that have already spent a ton of money on it will swear by it regardless of whether is good or not.

So like others i was new to HA, z-wave is commercially available in a plethora of flavours and like i said lots of posts here said it was great. Needless to say, I had the same problems you described and more!!

Six months later I know a bit more and went all wifi for switches, flashed with tasmota. Yes you need to upgrade your network, but a strong (UBIQUITY) network is just useful in so many ways. These sonoff wifi switches have been running for 3 years reliably.

I then started experimenting with rf for motion and contact sensors. I used openmqttgateway and sonoff rfbridge with tasmota. Main limitation with these rf sensors is no battery feedback, but hey for the price of these sensors you can just programmatically change the battery every year and still be 1/5 of the cost of a z-wave equivalent. The motion sensors are very reliable, Iā€™ve now had them for 3 years and have had no problems. In fact theyā€™re very useful because they can be immediately reset and subsequently triggered with no delay.

The contact sensors on the other hand, not so much. Some times they would stay open even though the door was closed, etc.

Enter zigbee. I replaced all the contact sensors with zigbee (aqara) and linked them to HA via zigbee2mqtt. It just works! MQTT just works with almost anything and itā€™s robust.
Iā€™ve also used zigbee2tasmota and itā€™s equally good. Both options present the possibility of having the ā€œhubā€ remotely located and connected via wifi, which means no need to plug a usb to your server/pi or whatever.

So I use wifi light switches, rf motion sensors with sonof rfbridges and zigbee contact sensors.

Hope this gives you a bit more food for thought.

1 Like

Hmmm I might have to take the wife up on the offer to throw money at it.

Yea I think the difference is the openness of Zigbee versus Z-Wave.
Zigbee isnā€™t open source but itā€™s cheaper and prolifically sold, so itā€™s everywhere, more people know how to program for it.
Z-Wave is more expensive and only one company historically made the chip for it.
I think the chip architecture was released for licensing or something so things might get cheaper but itā€™s still on the way out.

I go Zigbee or WiFi whenever possible, that being said Iā€™m really cheap and have existing Z-Wave devices, so I will continue to integrate them into whatever system I have until itā€™s impossible or they burn a hole in the wall theyā€™re installed in.

Can you post a graph of your network ? Have you included the devices insecurely ?

Hi all - thanks for all the responses.

To answer some of the questions

Can you post a graph of your network

Not at the moment because Iā€™m using SmartThings

Have you included the devices insecurely

My adventures have included completely secure, completely insecure and a mixture. Makes no difference to the stability

Enter zigbee

My Z-Wave network is largely for the sensors it provides - temperature, humidity, motion and so on. When I looked at Zigbee it appeared that all the manufacturers had largely concentrated on using Zigbee for lighting and the few sensors that are available arenā€™t little devices with multiple functions like the Aeotec multisensors.

Hubitat

Hubitat, like Wink, never seems to be in stock. In my ā€œresearchā€ these are the two platforms that keep coming up as being reliable which is probably why theyā€™re never in stock. Also, the Hubitat integration to HA still seems really clunky. I found lots of people saying that they can turn lights off but canā€™t turn them back on again without going in to Hubitat.

12 devices - all mains connected

This is something people keep mentioning. A lot of my devices are mains or USB powered but not all of them. Itā€™s impossible to run power to two places in my house without major surgery on the building and thereā€™s the bathrooms where I donā€™t want mains power. Is it the general experience of everyone that battery powered nodes are the problem? For clarification, in my setup about 1 in 4 nodes is battery powered.

Bummer. Iā€™d sell you mine if I werenā€™t stuck on it in the same predicament as you.

Not always but but you seem to have a nice 1:4 ratio, the reason behind that is battery nodes do not contribute to your mesh network, they are an endpoint. Your zwave issues could be a symptom of too many battery powered devices in an area not contributing to the network.

Example: 2 rooms far to the east, have 2 battery powered montion sensors, and the closest mains/always on node is 3 rooms out. This will make for a very unhappy network.

Without a network graph, itā€™s just guessing ā€¦