I tried all the camera platforms so you don't have to

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanations. I think I’m indeed using LL-HLS then:

Yes, but it looks like you are using “live” view. I think “live” view is broken and breaks more with LL-HLS.
Look at the difference between your screenshot and mine. Yours doesn’t load the playlists consistently - I think it’s because the frontend card was designed for still images so it still refreshes the assets every 10 secs or so which messes up non still images. It should be a relatively easy fix, but I don’t have a good frontend dev process set up. I’ll look at it when I get some time.
Try using “auto” for now.

2 Likes

Interesting. Good to know. Thank you!

FYI, both @allenporter and I have noticed that this doesn’t seem to be happening with “live” cards anymore. I haven’t tracked down what the culprit was or what has changed, but “live” cards seem to be working with LL-HLS and Nest WebRTC cameras.

2 Likes

Update: So I finally got around to trying the HLS-LL in the newest versions of HA, and it does indeed seem to produce an improvement. I got about 6-7 seconds of latency instead of the usual ~13 seconds that I was getting before. This is a big step up… But I do still get occasional freezes in the feed when in preview, and some occasional buffering animation when in fullscreen. So for now I think I will stick to the ffmpeg which still gives me lower latency, and rarely freezes. I’m paying a big price in CPU for this luxury though… For most people HLS-LL streams using the stream: component will be the best solution. I’ve updated my orignal post to reflect this.

1 Like

I didn’t see this in the release notes. Would you mind sharing a link to more info?

Check out Stream - Home Assistant

2 Likes

Oh interesting! I didn’t know about the options. I’m going to have to try to play with it a bit more and see what happens.

1 Like

Hi everyone good morning/afternoon/evening :smile:

Amazing thread with lots of information in here. I’ll just try and add my two cents in here as well. If someone is experiencing ocasional freeze with using HLS or LL-HLS a proxy RSTP server could improve this a lot.
I’ve setup rtsp-simple server with just a few commands and editting a yaml file and it works. CPU impact is minimal if no transcodding is used. It also has the advantage that you can pull a single stream for your camera, and then proxy as many streams as you like without having an impact in total LAN traffic. For me the proxy made the stuttering and freezing gone from my HA instance. I also have to say that I am running the proxy and HA in the same machine.

You can download it at GitHub - aler9/rtsp-simple-server: ready-to-use RTSP / RTMP / HLS server and proxy that allows to read, publish and proxy video and audio streams . The developer is very active.

Hope is usefull.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Yes this was also very useful for me in fixing streams not opening at all because of reaching the limits of number of streams the camera could serve. I use the live555 RTSP proxy and it works well too.