I turn on the lights when the luminance / lux is low but then

I turn on the lights when the luminance / lux is low but then that extra brightness from the lights makes the luminance / lux high enough to turn off the light.

It looks like I have designed a flashing light automation!

Ugh.

I just set my ‘lights off because it’s bright enough’ lux value a bit higher than what I could achieve with lights alone. At least in my space, there is a pretty massive difference between the lux level my lights can achieve (at the level I set them at)and even a cloudy day (and that’s with one of the can lights right over the lux sensor).

1 Like

Yep, I have independent sensor in each room to turn on and off lights due to outer light conditions and I have separate lux values for each room. And as said by Ben, normally the values provided by lights are lower than daylight outside but it needs some fine tuning and location of the sensors. I also separate between sun up or down.

(Actually, I have different lux values for each room depending on each season as well, since I want the light to be turn on a little bit different in the winter, spring, autumn and during the summer, all set by seasons I have defined in the calendar)

1 Like

I use a DIY outdoor lux sensor. Initially I was going to specify a different outdoor Lux level for each room but they turned out to be so close I just use the one value.

I have an outdoor weather station that provides lux. I’m interested in how you use your exterior lux value in a room lighting automation. Thanks.

This is my outdoor weather station lux,

Is it too ambitious to want to calculate the following…?

from a desired light level inside the room (perhaps two whether the sun is up or not)
using the outdoor lux level and assumed level inside the room
then calculate the amount of added light needed from the bulbs to achieve the desired light level

I do have a lux sensor inside the room as well but it spikes when the bulbs come on.

Hi, what about a condition in that automation not to turn off the light if switched on?

I use it as a numeric state condition for movement activated lights. If the lux sensor is below x (depends on your sensor and your house) do turn on the lights.