iBeacon problems

As we all know, iphones are horrible at location tracking. Therefore I thought I would try an iBeacon. It works great with owntracks on my wife’s phone but every time I add the information to customization, the iOS app crashes at startup. I remove the information and it operates correctly. What am I doing wrong.
This is the customization I was referring to. Any help would be appreciated.

zone.home:
beacon:
uuid: fda50693-a4e24fb1-afcfc6eb-07647825
major: 10023
minor: 59921

Did you ever get this sorted out? I have the same issue (although it only crashes when I hit “save” in the settings…

No I have not resolved this issue and was just waiting on an app update to hopefully solve the problem. My app crashes when I attempt to save it as well initially and then progresses to crashing at startup. If you figure out how to resolve this, please let me know.

I don’t know what I did… but somehow it now works. I didn’t get a crash when I went to the settings and clicked save even through I have the beacon info in the zone.home customization. I really wish I knew what I did to make it work.

I’ve been configuring the crap out of HA the last month, so I restart many times per day… maybe one of them fixed it?

EDIT: I do still have the the issue where the app will report all "X"s rather than the :heavy_check_mark: and I have to re-click save ti get it back

@rebelnme
Try this: your UUID is in the form:

########-########-########-########

Use the uuidgen command to generate one of the form:

########-####-####-####-###########

it’s the same number of characters, but grouped differently. This second pattern is the default format if you just type uuidgen at the command prompt (in mac OS / linux, anyway).

Edit: Credit to /u/wrboyce over at Reddit for spotting this

1 Like

Thanks a lot. The uuidgen worked great.

good! Glad it worked. I filed a bug on github, but it doesn’t seem like there very much active development on the ios app lately…

So just to be clear, the iBeacon zone info has to go in zone: and customization:?

in customize: you put the beacons stuff like so:

zone.home:
  beacon:
    uuid: 12345678-1234-1234-1234-123456789012
    major: 2
    minor: 1080

AFAIK, you don’t do it in the zone: definition in the configuration.yaml file.

EDIT: I should point out that if you don’t have a zone: definition in your configuration file, it makes a default one for you called home, so you can still customize it.