iCloud3 v2.1 Device Tracker - iCloud3 v2.2 has been released (10/10/2020)

@asierralozano
The battery_ level is one of the iOS app device_tracker attributes. It is read when getting the location data from that entity. Check the iCloud3 Event Log to see what iOS app device tracker entity is being monitored. Make sure you have set up mobile_app integration for the iOS app and the entity name being monitored is the correct one.

Go found here for the docs for v2.2.0 which explains how everything should be set up a lot better than the docs in the iCloud3 repository. They will be released later this week with v2.2.0.

Fixed! I renamed by mistake the battery_state entity. Thanks!
Quick question too. Iā€™m having a lot of zone changes even if Iā€™m not moving from home. I thought that this integration fixes this issue. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to specify something on the config to achieve that?

Thanks!

@asierralozano
By ā€˜zone changesā€™, do you mean the iOS app device tracker state entity or iCloud3 zone as ensure entity?

Review the activity in the iCloud3 Event Log to see what is causing the zone changes. The Actions > Show Event Details will display the iOS app details as seen by iCloud3. The Event Log displays a message if it detects the gps location from the iOS app is outside of the zone without a zone exit trigger. If the distance is less than 2 times the zone size, the new location is ignored and the iCloud3 zone entity is nutty changed, keeping it in the zone (iOS App state still says not_home).

This is how the iCloud event looks like:

log_level_debug: ''
filtername: ClearLogItems
update_time: 'Mon, 10/05, 08:06:20'
names:
  iphone_de_alberto: Dealberto
logs: >-
  [['', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', '^^^ Click `Refresh` to
  display                                 all records (15 of 53 displayed)
  ^^^'], ['7:58:18p', 'home', 'Home', '2 hrs', '', '0 mi', 'IOS App update
  complete'], ['7:58:16p', 'home', 'Home', '2 hrs', '', '0 mi', 'Results: Casa >
  CurrZone-Casa, GPS-(39.280945, -123.119845)/65m), Interval-2 hrs, Dist-0 mi,
  TravTime- (in_zone), NextUpdt-9:58:15, Located-7:58:10 (7 sec ago),
  OldLocThreshold-3 min'], ['7:58:16p', 'home', 'Home', '2 hrs', '', '0 mi',
  'Select Zone > Casa-0m/r100, Stationary-0.99km/r1 > Selected-Casa'],
  ['7:58:16p', 'home', 'Home', '2 hrs', '', '0 mi', 'iOS App update started
  (Region Entered)'], ['7:58:16p', 'home', 'Home', '2 hrs', '', '0 mi', 'iOSApp
  State Change detected > home to casa'], ['7:58:11p', 'home', 'Home', '2 hrs',
  '', '0 mi', 'IOS App update complete'], ['7:58:09p', 'home', 'Home', '2 hrs',
  '', '0 mi', 'Results: Casa > CurrZone-Casa, GPS-(49.280945, -123.119845)/65m),
  Interval-2 hrs, Dist-0 mi, TravTime- (in_zone), NextUpdt-9:58:15,
  Located-7:57:59 (11 sec ago), OldLocThreshold-3 min'], ['7:58:09p', 'home',
  'Away', '3 min', '', '0.11 mi', 'Select Zone > Casa-0m/r100,
  Stationary-0.99km/r1 > Selected-Casa'], ['7:58:09p', 'home', 'Away', '3 min',
  '', '0.11 mi', 'iOS App update started (State Change)'], ['7:58:09p', 'home',
  'Away', '3 min', '', '0.11 mi', 'iOSApp State Change detected > not_home to
  home'], ['7:57:49p', 'not_home', 'Away', '3 min', '', '0.11 mi', 'IOS App
  update complete'], ['7:57:45p', 'not_home', 'Away', '3 min', '', '0.11 mi',
  'Results: Casa > CurrZone-Away, GPS-(39.282379, -123.118754)/15m), Interval-3
  min, Dist-0.11 mi, TravTime- (left_zone), NextUpdt-8:00:45, Located-7:57:44 (1
  sec ago), OldLocThreshold-22 sec'], ['7:57:45p', 'not_home', 'Home', '2 hrs',
  '', '0 mi', 'Select Zone > Casa-180m/r100, Stationary-0.84km/r1 >
  Selected-Away'], ['7:57:45p', 'not_home', 'Home', '2 hrs', '', '0 mi', 'iOS
  App update started (Region Exit)'], ['7:57:45p', 'not_home', 'Home', '2 hrs',
  '', '0 mi', 'iOSApp State Change detected > casa to not_home'], ['00:00:00',
  '', '', '', '', '', 'Last Record']]

Im seeing a lot of ā€œState Changesā€, but I donā€™t know why :frowning:

Yep, got this from the official docs. So far this has been one of the most complicated custom components to install and quite a lot of the example code snippets are either wrong or outdated.

Can I just check? I do have 2FA authentication turned on and I got a code on my iPhone to enter into the requesting device (Hass, I guess!) but everything seems to be working and I havenā€™t needed to put the 2FA code in?
Ooo! :- Another questionā€¦is it correct that the icloud3 tracker has sort of been absorbed into or replaced the iOS companion app device tracker? I donā€™t now have TWO device_trackers the companion app and icloud3ā€¦guessing this is correct?

The code on your phone is from Apple, not Hass. Has will acknowledge your authentication with a notification listing the found devices. Working with Apple has its complications.

No. icloud3 replaces icloud. If youā€™ve configured icloud previously, remove it. You should have two trackers. iOS Companion and icloud 3. Thatā€™s the short answer.

I know that, I didnā€™t imply it was from Hass - I said to enter INTO the requesting device (Hass). Iā€™m just confused why I got a 2FA code but actually neither Hass nor the integration seem to need the code - seems to be working without.

Again, I wasnā€™t wondering if icloud3 replaces icloud I was wondering if it replaces the iOS companion app device tracker. Iā€™ve since found that (as far as I can tell) it doesnā€™t, it just bumps the iOS companion tracker into an underscored separate tracker.

From the ā€˜Results: Casa > ā€¦ā€™ statement, Iā€™m wondering if you have a Home zone and a Casa zone in the same location and are specifying ā€˜casaā€™ on the track_devices parameter. If so, the iOS app would do Zone enter/exits back and forth jumping between zones and iCloud3 would react to the changes. The solution would be to only have the Home zone and remove casa from the track_ devices parameter.

I only have the Casa zone, set it up on HA (Configuration - General)
I havenā€™t specified anything related to the zone on my config file either.

device_tracker:
  - platform: icloud3
    username: [email protected]
    password: myPassword
    tracking_method: famshr
    track_devices:
        - iphone_de_alberto

Sorry if Iā€™m giving you a lot of trouble, but I would love to use this integration :slight_smile:

In the documentation it says this

Family Sharing will let you track your family members. This tracking method is used if you have set up 2FA security on your Apple iCloud account. It is easier to set up than the Find-my-Friends tracking method.

Should this actually read ā€œThis tracking method is used if you have NOT set up 2FA security on your Apple iCloud account.ā€ ?

@daneboom
I just uploaded the v2.2.0 docs to check them out before the release. Did you notice this in the last 10-minutes? Could you let me know what Chapter your quote is in and Iā€™ll review it. iCloud3 supports 2fa so it should not even mention it.

Iā€™d appreciate it If you would look at comment on the new docs.

Thanks

@asierralozano
Do you also have a Home zone set up? Is it in the same location as the Casa zone? Go to HA Sidebar > Developer Tools > Started. Scroll to the bottom and look at the zone Entities.

Cool! Thanks, For info I found the above quote here and here

iCloud3 v2.2 Released

I have updated the iCloud3 GitHub repository with the final Release Candidate and updated HACS so it will be available to everyone. The documentation has also been updated but Iā€™m sure corrections will be needed. Iā€™ll be posting an official announcement tomorrow and creating a new thread on this forum for v2.2. This thread started with the release of v2.1, is getting long and is now out of date.

Critical note if you are using a config_ic3.yaml file for your iCloud3 configuration
If you have are using the config_ic3.yaml file for your iCloud3 configuration and it is in the custom_components/icloud3 directory, HACS will delete it when you do the update. As it turns out, HACS nukes everything in the iCloud3 directory before it does the update. Copy config_ic3.yaml to the directory with your HA configuration.yaml file before you do the update using HACS and iCloud3 will automatically get it from there.

1 Like

Gary - Thank you for all of your efforts on this package. Iā€™m using it every day for tracking for me and my wife and it is absolutely brilliant!!

Thanks for this.
Iā€™ve just installed the HACS version.

A great add-on.

iCloud3 v2.2 was released on 10/10/2020. Since this forum entry deals with v2.1 issues and issues related to the development of v2.2, I have opened a new forum for iCloud3 v2.2 questions, issues, suggestions and comments.

It can be found here.

Thanks for all of your help in completing this project.

Gary Cobb, aka GeeksterGary

Since yesterday Iā€™ve suddenly been being hit with new authentication requests every 12 hours or so. It looks like the native iCloud component is having a similar problem based on a post I saw. Any way to fix this?

1 Like

I have the same issue