iCloud3 v3 iDevice Tracker - Version 3

Thanks for your time and effort, I really appreciate that.

Mabe I wait for V3 if its almost ready and try to install that.

been running it for several months now. Had a minimum of issues. This version is already verrrrry good.

hmm, so far Iā€™ve followed the instructions and now HA is very unhappy about the device_tracker integration and canā€™t load it (or any of its dependencies).

Waiting on integrations to complete setup: mqtt, device_tracker

Going to try removing any reference to icloud3 from my configuration YAML and restart.

At the moment I canā€™t restart as restarting is blocked while HA tries to fully start.

@daneboom
So you unzipped the icloud3.zip file into the config/custom_components/icloud3 directory, restarted HA and it generated the Waiting on integrations ā€¦ message?

The icloud3.zip file was from the Beta 14x Releases page at Releases Ā· gcobb321/icloud3_v3 Ā· GitHub
Are there any other error messages in the home-assistant.log file?
If HA is still hung starting, you will probably need to restart your HA server (RPi?). Did it still hang after that?

I resolved it by commenting out the iCloud integration part of my config.yaml

Once that was removed the new version bedded in and I was able to add it via the integrations page.

However, Iā€™ve not had success with setting up my new trackers - it logged into iCloud just fine and found all my devices, just never pulled in any device info beyond their names and type.

So it new they were iPhone Xs, for example, but never provided a battery charge level or location information.

Iā€™ve rolled back to a snapshot for now.

Looks promising but I maybe needed more time to fiddle?

@daneboom
When you say ā€œIt logged into iCloud just fineā€, do you mean you hit Configure, it displayed the Configuration Menu? or you displayed the Configuration Menu, selected the ā€œiCloud Account Credentialsā€, entered your username & password to log into your iCloud account? Did you then select Login? and Submit?

If you just selected Configure, then selected iCloud3 Devices, you might not see anything because you deleted the device_tracker icloud3 platform and iC3_v3 had not logged into your icloud account yet. When you commented out the device_tracker icloud3 platform, the username/password was not migrated to v3 so it could not get anything from the iCloud account. so you would not see anything.

Step #3 in the iCloud3 Docs in the Migrating From v2.4 to v3 here talks about verifying the iCloud Acct Credentials.

Sorry, I mean I successfully used the configuration menu to login to icloud by providing username and password and also got through the two factor verification stage as well.

As I say, it pulled in the devices so they were available in the drop down menus, but once configured, the new device trackers never showed any ā€˜statesā€™. They were all just at ā€˜ā€“ā€™

To be clear, I completed this page of the setup.

The only thing which was at all confusing was the ā€˜find-my-friendsā€™ device list, as for MY own phone (the controlling account), my device wasnā€™t there. Which made sense in a way. When I was setting up my partnerā€™s device tracker, she DID appear in the find-my-friends device list.

When the migration is done, all devices are set to inactive which means they will not be tracked. The status of each one has to be set to Tracked.

When it first went into beta, there were issues related to migrating the devices. This was eliminated by setting to Inactive, have them reviewed and if ok, change to tracked. The docs are not clear on this and that is the next thing to do on my list.

Do you remember if you changed them to Tracked? Were there Any error messages in the logs?

It is still in beta and Iā€™m trying to understand what you ran into before you bailed and did a restore. Let me know if you want to give it another shot and Iā€™ll work with you

Hi Gary, yes, happy to give it another go. Sorry, I would have responded sooner but I didnā€™t see that youā€™d replied to me.

Pretty sure everything was set to tracked.

Taking a snapshot beforehand makes it all rather painless to rollback if it doesnā€™t work.

But sure - let me know how you want to proceed. :slight_smile:

Dick, Iā€™m now at my computer.

I installed it by unzipping the file in the appropriate directory, it showed up as an installed integration and I entered my login and auth code but I couldnā€™t get it to do/show anything. I guess Iā€™ll wait till itā€™s out of beta.

@lhf1

1. Did you add it as an integration?
  2. Did you select Configure and open the Configuration Wizard?
    You probably did those things but I had to make sure.

After you verified the iCloud username/password on the iCloud Account Credentials screen and logged into your iCloud account, Did you do the following?

1. Did you go to the iCloud3 Devices screen?
  2. If you were migrating from v2.4, did you see your devices listed?
    • Each one was probably INACTIVE which means they would not be tracked.
    • Did you go to the iCloud3 Devices screen, select each one at the top, make sure Update Device was select and then click Submit to go to the Update Devices screen?
    • Did you review each one? Check to make sure the Family Sharing device was correct, the FmF device was correct and the iOS App device was correct?
    • Did you change the Tracking Mode parameter to Tracked?
    • Did you then save each one, Exit from the Configuration Wizard and select Restart iCloud3 Now?
  3. If this was a new install, did you add the devices you wanted to track on the iCloud3 Devices screen?

If all devices are Inactive, none will be tracked and nothing will happen.

The version you used it very-very close to the release version. I have added some notifications to the Configuration Wizard warning you that there are Inactive devices that need to be checked. Other than that, what you were running is 99.6% of the release version. Iā€™m just waiting on it to be added to HACS and to update the documentation.

I deleted it already, but my recollection is that everything was fine until I went to select devices and when I did, I got an uninformative error message.

Hmmm. I beat on the Configuration Wizard pretty hard this afternoon. I identified and fixed several error messages, added some checking to make sure the needed data was available for tracking. I also added some warning messages for missing username/password setup, no devices were available, all devices are inactive, etc.

I appreciate it if you could take one more shot to see if the problems you ran into are fixed and help me get this program as bullet proof as possible before itā€™s releasedā€¦

Iā€™ve put up a beta15 here if you are up to it. Let me know and Iā€™ll make sure Iā€™m at my computer to handle anything that comes up. We can open an issues page on the v3 repository that will make things easier to follow. Thanks. Gary

Iā€™ve copied the files of beta15 over my last install (I think it was beta12 or beta13) and now itā€™s b0rkenā€¦

2023-03-19 11:02:06.391 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [icloud3] Authentication completed successfully, method-Token
2023-03-19 11:02:06.620 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [icloud3] Authenticating account it....@tm....
2023-03-19 11:02:10.272 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [icloud3] Authentication completed successfully, method-Token
2023-03-19 11:02:49.024 ERROR (SyncWorker_5) [icloud3] 'setup'
  File "/config/custom_components/icloud3/support/event_log.py", line 346, in update_event_log_display```

also important I think:

2023-03-19 11:02:02.492 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.frame] Detected integration that called async_setup_platforms instead of awaiting async_forward_entry_setups; this will fail in version 2023.3. Please report issue to the custom integration author for icloud3 using this method at custom_components/icloud3/__init__.py, line 131: hass.config_entries.async_setup_platforms(entry, PLATFORMS)

I just uploaded v3 beta15p2. The beta15p1 was missing the __init__.py initialization file. Find it here.

That is what was causing the errors you were seeing.

1 Like

One other minor thing: Iā€™m guessing you use windows (^M) What IDE do you use?

@sj3fk3
VSCode

Hi @gcobb321
really awesome project. Thank you for that!
Iā€™ve installed the Beta today. It was straight forward with your detailed docu. But i miss one thing.
I donā€™t get a custom card do display the event log. Strange thing was that i donā€™t had a www folder in /config. My test system is running in docker.

Iā€™ve created the path www/icloud3 manually within /config and copied the .js file into it but i canā€™t select the card in the dashboard. Iā€™ve cleaned the browser cache and restarted HA

Do you have an idea how solve it?