IDE setup for Python and HA

Hi Guys, I am new to HA and I wanted to start tinkering. I have experience in Java, Linux, Shell and Perl. But no clue about Python based development. So I wanted to ask how do I setup my IDE? What tools are recommended and is there a developer guide?

The development documentation can be found here: https://developers.home-assistant.io/

As an IDE I personally really like Visual Studio Code. It’s free and open source.

I am basically looking for auto-complete and refactoring features across HA workspace. If that is not available, at least Python core libraries and syntax based validation should work. Because I don’t wanna solve minor compilation issues while runtime testing, its too much turnaround time.

PyCharm…

Thank you for the pointers. Both IDEs look good. Will now try integrating with some of my DIY sensors and ask for help if stuck somewhere.

I’ve been doing some work on my first component, and PyCharm has been wonderful. Plus, it has a community edition :slight_smile:

1 Like

:+1: share your cool stuff with us.

How have you gone about using PyCharm for component development? I know I’m not the only one who would appreciate the details (see How to set up PyCharm for debugging?)

Thanks in advance!

1 Like