Ideas for multi-factor lights?

i’ve been using adaptive lighting for a while, but it doesn’t consider things like cloud cover
has anyone made something that considers other factors? or do you use a light sensor? if a light sensor, how do you prevent feedback loops?

1 Like

By installing the sensor outside: Outdoor Lux Sensor

i guess that would work, i would need to find a place to mount it first

I had mine in a north facing window (I’m in the southern hemisphere) for a couple of years. It was mounted in the top corner behind blockout blinds so had little interference from the indoor room light. It was in the east corner of the window so morning light levels were lower than afternoon light levels. This is something I had to compensate for.

When the power cable (an old iphone USB cable) perished completely due to UV exposure I moved it to the roof. I’m hoping the cat6 cable will last as it is not outdoor rated :grimacing: (I only had 2 pair outdoor cable at the time - see topic link).

Smart lighting systems can also incorporate data from external sources like weather reports to make more informed decisions about lighting levels.

As for using a light sensor to prevent feedback loops, one solution is to incorporate hysteresis into the control algorithm. Hysteresis is a method of adding a small delay or buffer to the control signal to prevent rapid fluctuations and oscillations in the system. This helps to maintain stability and prevent the system from overreacting to small changes in the environment.