Identify Offline Sensors With Expected Sensor Cadence?

I have a number of sensors that will go offline and stop reporting, but I won’t notice because HA just continues to use the last reported value. This is predominantly a problem with Z-Wave sensors that are not expected to be always communicating due to power saving, but some wifi-based sensors will also exhibit this problem. The problem could be a dead battery, or a Z-wave network issue (constant).

I’m considering an automation to check a group of entities against an expected cadence. For instance, I expect a temperature sensor in my garage to give an update every hour. If I haven’t gotten one in say… 4 hours, I’d like a notification that the sensor is possibly offline.

Has anybody already done something like this?

I call a state value that has failed to change in a long time “stale”. The links below explain how to detect “stale” sensors. However, be advised that they rely on the sensor’s last_changed property. Some sensors have a value that never changes yet doesn’t mean it’s stale (like a smoke alarm’s state). Therefore you have to use the technique judiciously otherwise you’ll get false positives.

Monitor a single sensor:

Monitor several sensors:

BTW, when an entity’s received value is identical to its existing value, its last_changed remains unaltered (to be expected) but its last_updated will also remain unaltered. Long story short, received duplicates are ignored (so be careful if you decide to check for staleness based on last_updated).

Reference: State Object

Thanks. I tried something like this already. I ran into two problems:

• these last-updated values are reset on reboot. I have to restart HA a lot because I am always updating integrations and automations, and
  • I found a lot more false positives than I needed - a basement door that hasn’t been opened in some time, or your example of a smoke alarm…

I was looking for anything with an expected cadence - so a list of entities with an expected frequency, or maybe a “learning” approach that recognizes a regular pattern and reports when that pattern breaks.

BTW, when an entity’s received value is identical to its existing value, its last_changed remains unaltered (to be expected) but its last_updated will also remain unaltered.

I have long considered this is a substantial bug in the sampling strategy. Knowing that a sensor reported is an important piece of information, even if its state is identical.