Ikea Shortcut button OTA update always fails

I’ve got a few of the Ikea shortcut buttons and they have been giving me some grief in the setup process and becoming unavailable after time. The first thing I thought I would do is update the firmware but using the OTA update but no matter what I try, it always seems to stall somewhere between 1% & 20% (random number).

In HA it just shows as updating but stops increasing, the button is still online and responds to button presses

I’ve tried

• Reseting are repairing the button
  • Restarting HA
  • Using a new button
  • New battery
  • Connecting the button to a different Zigbee router
  • Moving the button next to the router

My setup

• HAOS running in a VM
  • ZHA
  • Skyconnect controller

I’ve done all the searching but I’m at an impasse as to how to move forward. I turned on debugging, restarted, updated and then grabbed the logs but I’m not sure what I’m looking for. Hopefully someone can help, please and thank you :smiling_face:

FYI, IKEA is currently having firmware problems so not recommended to upgrade IKEA devices now.

Regardless, solution to the most common root cause problems can be found here → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

What firmware problems is it that you’re talking about

1 Like

It’s not a network issue, I’ve got many devices and the ikea shortcut buttons are the only ones I’m having an issue with. Everything else is :ok_hand:

I’m having a few issues.

Firstly pairing is inconsistent, some times it will pair and work fine, other times it will pair but not create all the entities but most common is it will pair but not generate ZHA events

Once successfully paired, sometimes the buttons will just become unavailable after a day or two

Lastly sometimes they will work but suffer from either battery drain or incorrect battery reporting (hard to tell which)

Believe whatever you like but all those problem symptoms that you describe can and most commonly are symptoms of EMF/EMI/RMI interference and/or not having enough Zigbee Router devices with good reception in the Zigbee network, as Zigbee uses low-power signals to send very short message RF reception can be extremely sensitive so having issues with either or a combination those can cause such problem symptoms. It is therefore always best to take basic actions to alleviate all those concerns first as doing so will make further troubleshooting easier. Following the best practice tips from this guide is the most easily achieved of a set of tasks that will have the greatest overall effect on Zigbee communication reception → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

Summary of setup questions that you need to answer to take action on:

1. Have you connected your Zigbee Coordinator adapter to a USB 2.0 port and not a USB 3.0 port?
    1b. If your computer does not have a USB 2.0 port then are you using it via a powered USB 2.0 hub?
  2. Have you connected your Zigbee Coordinator adapter via a long USB extension cable?
    2b. How long USB extension cable, is it shielded, and have you used it to place your Zigbee Coordinator adapter as far away from all possible sources of EMF/EMI/RMI interference (e.i. all electronic appliances/peripherals/devices/cables/power-supplies, etc. like example USB 3.x harddrives)?
  3. How many and what exact Zigbee Router devices do you have on this same Zigbee network?
    3b. Are those Zigbee Router devices located close to the Zigbee end devices in question?
    3b. Are those Zigbee Router devices located close to the Zigbee end devices in question?
    3c. Do you regularly power OFF and ON Zigbee Router devices such as Zigbee Smart Lightbulbs?

By the way, what exact firmware type and version using now on your SkyConnect Zigbee Coordinator? Have you or can you try upgrading (or downgrading) the firmware version on your SkyConnect?

I didn’t think of SkyConnect firmware and I had foolishly assumed if there was one available HA / ZHA would let me know as it’s a HA product.

I updated the SkyConnect firmware and instantly the buttons are now reliable, I have successfully done an OTA firmware update, repaired them without issue and they aren’t randomly dropping off after setup :tada:

1 Like