Ikea Tradfri LED bulb burns up!

Last Saturday I visited my local Ikea and bought a Tradfri gateway, two 1000lm bulbs, and a remote.
I setup the first bulb per the instructions. With the remote I was able to turn the bulb on and off and change it’s brightness.
Same for the Tradfri software on my Android phone. Everything worked as expected.

I turned the bulb off with the remote, and left the lamp powered on, then I left the room
When I returned, about 10 minutes later I detected that distinctive PCB burning smell.
I then discovered that the bulb was VERY hot. I immediately powered off the lamp.
When the bulb cooled I removed and examined it. There was no sign of smoke or scorch or any indication of burning besides the smell.

I then powered up the lamp and tried to power on the bulb with the remote. Of course it was dead.

The lamp is one that I bought for Ikea several years ago. I’ve used a regular LED bulb in that lamp for the past six months.

Tonight I put the other bulb in a different lamp and paired it with the gateway. So far so good. Eventually I’ll move it to the lamp where the first bulb failed for a ‘smoke test’.

1 Like

I’m very interested in hearing about any further developments on this. I’ve been considering converting my entire apartment to Tradfri, but have been delayed in purchasing the lot of them for cashflow reasons at the moment

I have several Tradfri lights since April 17, All kinds of bulbs (E27, E14, GU10).

Some of them are powered on every evening for more than 4 hours and i have no problems with it.

1 Like

i have several tradfri bulbs that are all working fine. one that i bought recently ceased to work shortly after setting it up. it was flickering and obviously sending random stuff over the zigbee network, because other bulbs were losing their pairing to the base. when i unsrewed the bulb it was awfully hot. after returning and replacing the bulb i had no more problems.

it seems however, that ikea has problems with tradfri quality control.

1 Like

I used the bulb for several hours last night in both lamps. It worked fine with no problems. I will use it today while I am working in my office and can monitor it.

When I switched the tradfri bulb from ‘other’ lamp to the one where the first bulb burned, I removed the LED bulb that is normally that lamp. Both had been on for about an hour. The Tradfri bulb was quite a bit warmer than the ‘dumb’ bulb. Neither bulb was so hot that I could not handle them immediately after powering off the lamps.

I installed Hassbian for the first time last night on a Raspberry Pi 3. Setting up the Tradfri gateway connection was very simple per the instructions.

So both the bulb and the lamp are still working?
Could it just be that the bulb was not correctly screwed to the lamp and was having bad contact, thus getting hot?

Perhaps, or maybe just a faulty bulb. The ‘good’ bulb has been on for 20 minutes or so. The plastic bulb is warm, but not hot to the touch. The base is hot, but I would say excessively so. The lamp is all metal and is just barely above room temperature.

I’ll leave it on and set different brightness levels and monitor it. Will report back later today or tomorrow.

Bulb is still working as it should. No overheating.

I just bought the pack with 2 e27, a remote and the gateway. One of the bulbs worked fine, but at night when I tried to switch it on again it wouldn’t do anything, i tried changing the power source, but in only lights up and gives very very low light for a fraction of a second and after that it goes black again while the other one works just fine. It’s a faulty bulb, right?

I purchased both a 1000 lumen and 806 lumen TRADFRI zigbee bulb to try out roughly a year ago. Decided not to purchase more because the cost-to-performance ratio wasn’t right for me - these are a little spendy compared to other zigbee options.

Anyway… they’ve been running fine except for the occasional slow response issues all this time. Up until a few nights ago when my wife mentioned they were reacting really slowly and sometimes missing commands. Lo and behold I noticed this morning that the 806 lumen bulb was marked as unavailable in HA. I removed the bulb from its socket to “hard reset” and the base burned my fingers. Even after sitting on the table for a minute it was still too hot to hold for more than a moment.
We had our bulbs installed in an open-air pedestal lamp so I think cooling/air flow is best case possible. This one, actually: silver-hampton-bay-floor-lamps-fl-0002r-e1_600|500x500

So, I guess I wouldn’t recommend these bulbs! Apologies for the necrobump… didn’t make sense to start a new topic.