Ikea Tradfri remotes battery Drain

My Setup is cc2652rb_stick_-_slaesh_s_io with latest firmware as co-ordinator and I have 5 Ikea Tradfri remotes and a shortcut button. I am facing the following issues

1. Remotes are not responding to OTA updates
    1. Battery is draining in 2 days from 100% to almost zero

I tried removing, re adding, re-configuring, nothing seems so work. I am on Zigbee2mqtt 1.23.0-1 version and My Ikea Remotes are on firmware version 2.3.014. Running the latest version of Home Assistant 2022.2

What should I do to reduce the battery drain? I thought the firmware upgrade should help, however besides multiple tries (including IKEA test Server) I get errors saying remote not responding to software update. I end up charging battery every other day

I find that the OTA update issue can be fixed by placing the remote next to my coordinator, and right before requesting update, remove and replace the battery.

As for the battery drain, I am running the same firmware as you on my Sonoff Zigbee USB 3.0, remotes are at 2.3.080 and battery life has so far been ok (except that OTA upgrade drains quite a bit). I was a bit worried about batteries when I installed - mainly because there a a bunch of threads discussing issues.

2 Likes

Thanks, @zoogara I was able to force the update as you suggested, This remote was connected to a router (Sonoff plug) which was causing the issue I believe, I reconfigured remotes to directly connect to the co-ordinator which resolved the OTA issue. It took almost 4 hours to install the update.
I see the remotes with 2.3.014 firmware is having the battery drain.
I had updated two remotes to 2.3.080 and testing them out, I will keep you all posted,

How did that go after the update @ajithprabhakar ?

I updated my 2 Tradfri 5 button remotes to the latest firmware a few weeks ago, by connecting them directly to a 5v DC supply a few weeks ago, as all my batteries were dead. I know battery is 3v, but using 3.3v did not work (it dropped to 2v when connected) so tried 5v and it worked

I then waiting a few hours for them to update (patiently watching the homeassistant logs).

I have not purchased new batteries yet as as I was doing the update I noticed a lot of threads about the draining batteries with ZHA…

So wondering how you went.

Still draining?

G./

Hi @grillp
After updating the firmware I am not seeing a battery drain issue on the 5 remote buttons. It took around 4 hours to finish the firmware update, but it was worth the pain, the connection is stable and remotes are working as expected

thanks. I bought some batteries today and they seem to be holding steady after 5 hours :wink:

I guess the OTA update really takes it out of them!

Cheers

G./

Firmware: 0x23080631
Device: IKEA round remote (5 button)

I am still seeing the battery drain issue, gone to 100 to 47 % in 3 days.

Anyone else still facing the issue, looks like the firmware version is latest only.

My issue went away after updating the firmware.

1 Like

Maybe also list your coordinator and its firmware

also the control stack (ZHA or Z2M) and its version

also your HA setup (install type, hardware, etc.)

Could use some advise on how to get my device firmware updated, as having the same battery drain issue (Current Firmware: 0x23014631). Added following to the configuration & restarted (BTW I added the custom link for firmware as when I open in a browser it shows a newer version for my device, ie 2.3.080)

zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      ikea_provider: true
      otau_directory: /config/zigpy_ota           # Utilize .ota files to update everything else
      ikea_update_url: http://fw.ota.homesmart.ikea.net/feed/version_info.json

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.zha: debug
    zigpy: debug

I tried manually downloading the file into the directory /config/zigpy_ota “159699-5.1-TRADFRI-remote-control-2.3.080.ota.ota.signed” but no change.

Tried manually forcing an OTA using the following but errors, saying Args are deprciated.

service: zha.issue_zigbee_cluster_command
data:
ieee: “xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx” (with my device IEE)
endpoint_id: 1
cluster_id: 25
cluster_type: out
command: 0
command_type: client
args:

Error message

[0x1840](TRADFRI remote control): args [[‘0 100’]] are deprecated and should be passed with the params key. The parameter names are: [‘payload_type’, ‘query_jitter’, ‘manufacturer_code’, ‘image_type’, ‘new_file_version’]

Any help would be appreciated.

Just found this which might help others:

service: zha.issue_zigbee_cluster_command
data:
  ieee: #######
  endpoint_id: 1 # Endpoint id for the OTA cluster.
  cluster_type: out
  command_type: client
  cluster_id: 25
  command: 0
  params:
    payload_type: 0
    query_jitter: 100
1 Like

Tried that command but get the following error. ANy ideas?

2023-02-01 10:37:31.149 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error executing service: <ServiceCall zha.issue_zigbee_cluster_command (c:01GR68THA1V3VQ151GAAR7YTN9): ieee=5c:02:72:ff:fe:29:94:81, endpoint_id=1, cluster_type=out, command_type=client, cluster_id=25, command=0, params=payload_type=0, query_jitter=100>

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1773, in catch_exceptions

await coro_or_task

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1792, in _execute_service

await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 751, in admin_handler

await result

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/api.py", line 1336, in issue_zigbee_cluster_command

await zha_device.issue_cluster_command(

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/device.py", line 728, in issue_cluster_command

response = await (

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/zcl/__init__.py", line 358, in reply

return await self._endpoint.reply(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/endpoint.py", line 256, in reply

return await self.device.reply(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/device.py", line 384, in reply

return await self.request(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/device.py", line 297, in request

await self._application.request(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 690, in request

await self.send_packet(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy_znp/zigbee/application.py", line 1155, in send_packet

raise DeliveryError(

zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError: Request failed after 5 attempts: <Status.APS_NO_ACK: 183>

hello, were you ever able to get this solved?

This was a while ago now, but here’s my notes from the time - not sure if they help:-

TRADFRI remote control by IKEA of Sweden (5 button version with coin batter)

Firmware Started as: 0x23014631

Wanted to update firmware to see if solved batter drain issue (only lasts couple of days)

Followed guidance here (Zigbee Home Automation - Home Assistant) to enable OTA updates.
Tried using some different sources & posting here but didnt seem to update
(Ikea Tradfri remotes battery Drain - #10 by johnyb)

During this time device was connected to mains power (5v 2a PSU) using bell wire to connect to terminals in remote (leaving old dead battery inplace & blue tack to keep wires connected). Still seemed to go offline after some time, but no update.

Then on 6/12/22 - may be coincidence - but after updating the Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus firmware (From CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_coordinator_20210708.hex to CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_coordinator_20220219.hex) it seemed to update?
Then was able to delete & re-add to ZHA (showing 60% battery) and working ok (for now at least)