I'm really starting to worry, getting scared of my future with HA

I do not have any expectations. I’m, in my way, trying to participate…

You’re mixing up zwave integrations. Zwave JS was announced the same day Zwave 1.4 was deprecated, and there has been no guarantee that a migration path will be made for Zwave JS. The devs (zwave devs, not core devs) would like to make a migration tool, so the likelihood that it will be made is high. Just don’t expect it tomorrow or next month.

The migration tool you are remembering was promised for OpenZwave (beta), which was delivered… Then fishwaldo decided to quit and that killed off OpenZwave (beta).

1 Like

I gave up on Z-wave a year ago. Once the existing devices quit working, I will replace them with something that uses MQTT over WiFi. That has never let me down.

Almost everything here is using an ESP (like Sonoff or things I build). I rarely have an issue with them.

I am also wondering what is supposed to be wrong with Supervisor that the devs considered removing it a few update cycles ago.

Really? Never heard that one. The only thing I recall was a move to removed a supervised install on generic linux systems.

The supervisor is an integral part of HA OS so I don’t think there was a move to remove it.

If I missed something, please enlighten me.

1 Like

Then I must have misread something, but I really remember reading something about the Supervisor being depreciated. I seem to recall that you were in that thread as well, some 6 months ago or so.

Found the thread:

It was about this time that I bought a second Nuc to run the HA image. (Glad I did). This lets me keep my Ubuntu on the first Nuc.

Maybe what you remember is Home Assistant Supervised being deprecated? That’s what it states in the link you posted.

Supervisor is a management module included in two installation methods:

1. Home Assistant OS
  2. Home Assistant Supervised

The plan was to deprecate the second method, namely Home Assistant Supervised. Due to pushback from the community, the plan was cancelled (but with some constraints documented in ADR-0014).

1 Like

Unless you use the old legacy zwave, this is entirely possible with openzwave (beta) or zwave js.

I keep seeing references to “ADR-xxxx”. As if it’s obvious. What is an “ADR” and where should we be watching?

1 Like

Architecture Design Rule

1 Like

Unfortunately that was the only integration I got going with my RPi and Aeon Stick Gen5+ so I’m guessing I am soon out of luck.

That’s the problem, you are guessing. When Legacy ZWave (1.4) deprecation was announced, it came with a caveat:

The only way Legacy ZWave (1.4) is getting deprecated is if it stops working. This will only happen at major python releases. When python 3.8 is removed from HA and 3.10 is added, that’s the next barrier. I highly doubt Legacy ZWave (1.4) will stop working then. You most likely have years before that integration stops working.

Sounds like a guess too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not really, something major would need to happen in pyd files for it to suddenly fail. To put it into perspective, those files alone haven’t changed in 5 years.

It’s enough that HA will change its API breaking the compatibility. Does depreciation policy ensure updating component code to be up to date with API or compliant with other requirements?

What are you talking about? Who said anything about changing an api? Are you on this forums just to give people grief? Next time you feel like replying to me with nonsense, just move on.

You said

The only way Legacy ZWave (1.4) is getting deprecated is if it stops working. This will only happen at major python releases. When python 3.8 is removed from HA and 3.10 is added, that’s the next barrier. I highly doubt Legacy ZWave (1.4) will stop working then. You most likely have years before that integration stops working.

I’m asking if is it really the only case it might stop working.

Yes, it is. It’s stuck using OpenZwave 1.4, so the pyd files are static because openzwave is static. Everything from that point upwards (the integration) is still being maintained.

Initially I did understood “depreciation” differently. Now it’s clear.
Thanks for answer.

This is a ‘special’ deprecation. Normal deprecations are announced and then axed at a later date. Zwave legacy has no ‘axe’ date and there are no plans for an axe date. When it stops working is when it will be removed. This is the only deprecation like this, mainly because it’s so widely used. The deprecation was not by choice either, it was forced on HA by OpenZwave.

1 Like