I'm unhappy with the removal of GPIO

Could you help me a bit and weld these titanium parts together… it is just 10 min job… Yep, some stuff is easy for some.

And yes, I got into HA because I heard it could easily control rpi gpio…without python or any other snake that you call code :wink:

Yes, I agree, but by knowing this before and, of course, the release notes, I was just desperately looking for a solution that I found and the situation is resolved.

Not sure if that’s a serious request for help, or tongue-in-cheek. But the best write-up I’ve seen on how to restore the GPIO functionality is right here in this thread:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/im-unhappy-with-the-removal-of-gpio/388578/125

1 Like

He’s already on HACS

1 Like

If only we knew sooner.

Here are links to threads discussing it in December and January.

If only we knew sooner.

Some people did, namely the ones in those linked threads.

If only we knew sooner.

Umm, see posts above; it was in fact known sooner, well over a month ago.

If only we knew sooner.

You’re failing the Turing test.

2 Likes

Why desperately? You have 4 months to make the transition.

This is not a technical issue anymore.

This is PR issue now and might be even bigger one in June.

Well yes, that’s what I said.
It doesn’t affect me at all - and if it did, I wouldn’t be losing my mind about it - I would simply use NodeRed which either has GPIO support in it, or the package can be easily added to it to give it GPIO support.

2 Likes

I’d rather be calm than deal with something at the last minute

So it seems rpi_gpio is already on HACS.
I am wondering what the possible solutions are for the 1wire integration?

I have a custom pcb that connects multiple 1wire sensors and some relais to the rpi.

One of many solutions -

Simply use NodeRed with the 1wire contrib added to the palette manager.

Yes, it’s also a solution, I just didn’t want the 1 pin of gpio, which controls Rpi cooling, to be complicated over something else

it wont be, just like the deprecation of other software or changes in HA. it will be all over within days and people will move on and just get the changes done

You said you were desperately looking for a solution. Glad to hear you were actually calm, not desperate.

You could also look at it though, as removing a single point of failure. If Home Assistant (the core) goes down, because of an update, or a critical crash or something. NodeRed will keep running, and thus will still be able to control the Pi Fan - regardless of what state Home Assistant is in.

If its not in HACS, just follow the instructions here for the rp_gpio but do it for the 1 wire integration

RP_GPIO as custom integration

and here is the location of the 1-wire integration
1-wire integration

These are the translate. I searched and found :grinning:

Yes you are right, but the temperature is about 51 ° C during the HA run, it just rises when the esp is compiled and the fan only reacts there. I already have a solution with my own integration.

1 Like

I understand some of you are not happy with the removal of the GPIO integrations from core, however I do believe core should not have integrations which needs direct interaction with the hardware.
I think that if you have the knowledge to hook up IOs to your PI you can manage with installing a custom integration. I will continue to maintain the rpi_gpio integration as a custom integration (thecode/ha-rpi_gpio)
If there are other hardware related integrations with high interest let me know.
Note that I only maintain integrations that I can test, so do not be disappointed if I can’t work on some of them (I can still help someone else maintain them).

9 Likes

I say that there is zero correlation between one and the other.

Zero, really?

At the end of the day, the “product” is still “owned” by one or multiple people, who might or might not take the users demand into consideration.

Then I’d say you have a distorted view of developing SW with the intent of it being used by more than the developer.

Simple example: MySQL is OSS (plain GPL2) but that doesn’t imply that Oracle (the owner) will take any of your considerations into account.

That’s a ridiculous comment. Oracle, Microsoft, Red Hat, any company (owner) does in fact take the voices of their users into account. Happens all the time. Hell, it even happens on occasion with HA!

You have a strange approach to FLOSS. …you’d want to have a say in the organization of the project?
Nope. Doesn’t work that way, never did. Sponsoring is a token of appreciation, and maybe an incentive for the devs to continue working on the project, nothing else, and surely not a ticket to have your voice heard above any other.

Good to know how you feel. I’m curious if other developers share your disdain for their user base? :thinking:

It’s actually that kind of attitude that might discourage maintainers. Not only are you providing free software during your free time, but users are complaining you don’t comply to their demands? The hell with it…

No, it’s actually exactly YOUR kind of attitude that turns people off from OSS in the first place. If that is the spirit you and/or this community represents, then you’ve just quashed any incentive I had to contribute, support, promote HA as a community. The message gave is loud and clear: You’ll get what you get and you’ll like it, or not… just don’t complain, because your voice doesn’t matter. Oh, and sponsor me while you’re at it. :expressionless:

3 Likes