Immax IM-Z30-Remote

I just got an Immax Z30 Remote (https://www.immaxneo.cz/de/produkte/immax-neo-remote-control-rgbcct-zigbee-3-0/). Pairing did work and the device ist listed in the device list. This is the device signature:

{
  "node_descriptor": "NodeDescriptor(byte1=2, byte2=64, mac_capability_flags=128, manufacturer_code=4509, maximum_buffer_size=127, maximum_incoming_transfer_size=100, server_mask=10752, maximum_outgoing_transfer_size=100, descriptor_capability_field=0)",
  "endpoints": {
    "1": {
      "profile_id": 260,
      "device_type": "0x0810",
      "in_clusters": [
        "0x0000",
        "0x0003"
      ],
      "out_clusters": [
        "0x0003",
        "0x0004",
        "0x0005",
        "0x0006",
        "0x0008",
        "0x0019",
        "0x0300",
        "0x1000"
      ]
    }
  },
  "manufacturer": "Immax ",
  "model": "IM-Z30-Remote ",
  "class": "zigpy.device.Device"
}

Has anybody successfully paired the remote directly with a light using ZHA? How do I manage the group selection with the 1,2,3 keys?
When I create an automation, how do I specify the remote keys as trigger?

I’m still learning here, but I think there are two (maybe more) ways of having a zigbee controlling device control another device (like a light). The zigbee spec allows a switch to directly connect to a light and control it. You basically ‘pair’ the switch with all the bulbs. Second way, is to add both the switch and light to a zigbee hub/network like ZHA or Zigbee2Mqtt. Then the switch sends a command to the hub. The hub, in this case Home Assistant via the zigbee hub has an ‘automation’ that sends a zigbee command to the light via the zigbee hub.

With the zigbee switches I have tried, I have the first method described above often to be rather convoluted to setup, especially when there are multiple lights/ scenes involved. Once it is setup, it is solid (and works regardless of whether you server is running or not), but if you want to change it, you go thru the same set of hoops again and again…

Thanks for the reply, David. I also already have some remotes in my zigbee network, all directly bound to a group (the first of your ways) using ZHA. The problem with this particular remote is that it can control up to 3 groups, and I have no clue how this can be achieved in ZHA. I’m not even sure if the remote is really directly bound to groups or if this is only a function of the NEO Gate (the original Immax zigbee bridge).
On the other hand I would like to know how I can find the name of the events that the keys create in ZHA. Is there a way to debug the events?

This is not debugging, so maybe you are already beyond this, but have you tried observing the ‘zha_event’ events ?

Developer Tools
Events
Listen to events

Event to subscribe to
zha_event

START LISTENING

You will get data such as this that I get for a Aqara Cube:

event_type: zha_event
data:
    device_ieee: 00:15:8d:00:02:a3:72:aa
    unique_id: 00:15:8d:00:02:a3:72:aa:2:0x0012
    device_id: f660b35dcfd0aeefe0be987aa2b21ec0
    endpoint_id: 2
    cluster_id: 18
    command: flip
    args:
        value: 104.0
        flip_degrees: 90
        activated_face: 1.0
origin: LOCAL
time_fired: '2021-01-05T19:09:27.755162+00:00'
context:
    id: 19609fa5c2ceb782582a0b2580277820
    parent_id:
    user_id:

This blueprint might give you some ideas as you get the zha_event events of your device:

Thanks David, this is what I was looking for. I’ll let you know if I was successfull.