(imperfect) music player casting local music tracks to Google Nest/Chromecast

the script that creates the randomisation works great as you describe it , but with independent buttons that call the script, depending on the folder that is played. in my script, i am searching to use one button to play th random list, with before choosing the folder which will play, using radio buttons(i succeeded in defining these radio buttons). so, in my script i cannot call another script (or can i?) so i have to put the randomisation sequence somehow in the script i sent. is that possible?

What I would try at first, is to has an array for each subfolder, and an array of array for filelist of each subfolder. The first level of the latter would be the position of the subfolder. For example, if you select the third subfolder, this will point to the third array in the array of arrays.

i am looking on having the folders that will be accessed on the same levelā€¦so no subfolder structure, which i already have in place. the only thing issing is for the same button to randomise the folder that is chosen via the radio buttons.

SOrry I didnā€™t get your point. What are you try to randomize, the file or the folder itself (in the latter case, isnā€™t it selected by the radiobutton)? If it is the file, this is done through the '{{ state_attr(''sensor.media'', ''file_list'')|random }}' in the ā€œlancement musiqueā€ script I gave. Good luck for your development and thanks for sharing!

I am trying to randomise the files in folders. if i call lancement musique script, the music should play from a folder. if i call another script the music should play from another folder. the current format allows me to do the above mentioned actions only if i press the stop button when switching from one script to the other. what i wanted was to be able to switch automatically the folder when the oppsite script than the one active was called.
thank You so much for Your time and explanations. it has been a great experience for me exchanging on this project. please continue developing it as it is a great idea you have with this project. Thank You again.

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback!

I understand your point now. Indeed, the music will change only at the next track. But what you can probably do when hitting the button to change the folder is to call the arret_musiquescript which will stop the music, then update the folder if necessary, and then call the lancement_musique. This will automate the process of stopping and launching again.

Thanks again for your support and great ideas!

Mick

Hello. i just wanted to share with You the use of Your principles in my tileboard dashboard. it warks flawlessly: radio button for selection of the folder/url link for online radio; play button randomising the selected music folder. perfect work. thank You
!

Yeah, really nice! Thanks a lot for sharing :smiley: It has been a great pleasure discussing with you about this really cool development and great enhancement!

Hey, this looks great.
Can you please share the scripts and the code for the cards that make it all work per folder selection?

I have a question, if you could spare the time.
I tried reproducing your scripts and automation - and it worked beautifully. So thank you so much for sharing it with us, newbies :slight_smile:

However, when I tried changing the path to config/www/media/jazz, I get an error in the log saying that it canā€™t reach the ā€œconfig/www/media/jazz/Songsā€

Iā€™m not sure about the meaning of this. I changed the path of the sensor and the script, Iā€™ve updated the ā€œliste[18:]ā€ part to cut out the path I determined and the script does locate a random song from the right path - but the script that plays the song adds ā€œ/Songsā€ to any inner path inside ā€œ/media/ā€.

When I tried creating ā€œ/Songsā€ inside ā€œ/media/ā€ and put some songs in there plus updating the path everywhere - it adds another /Songs and the error I get is that ā€œconfig/www/media/jazz/Songs/Songsā€ might not be publicly available. and of course this path simply doesnā€™t exist.

I would imagine this new addition to the path comes from the ā€œpiste: <DEFAULT FILE>ā€ syntax, but I couldnā€™t find any documentation regarding this.

Can you please provide some guidance?

hello, plese find here bellow my configuration. please note that the interface is not the lovleace provided by HA but ā€œtileboardā€, an alternative to lovelace:

config.yaml

homeassitant
  media_dirs:
    media: /config/www/media

sensor:
  - platform: folder
    folder: /config/www/media/folder_muzica1
  - platform: folder
    folder: /config/www/media/folder_muzica2

input_boolean:
  folder_muzica1:
    name: folder_muzica1
    icon: mdi:music-box
    initial: true
  folder_muzica2:
    name: folder_muzica2
    icon: mdi:music-box
    initial: false

automations.yaml

#radio buttons
alias: Music Mode set
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.folder_muzica1, input_boolean.folder_muzica2, input_boolean.folder_muzica3,
      input_boolean.radio_impuls, input_boolean.90s_radio, input_boolean.radio_renasterea
    to: 'on'
  action:
  - service: input_boolean.turn_off
    data_template:
      entity_id: '{% set booleans = [ ''input_boolean.folder_muzica1'', ''input_boolean.folder_muzica2'',"input_boolean.radio_impuls","input_boolean.90s_radio",
        "input_boolean.radio_renasterea", "input_boolean.folder_muzica3" ] | reject(''equalto'',
        trigger.entity_id) %} {{ booleans | list | join('', '') }}'
  mode: single

#play random selected music folder
alias: Melodia_urmatoare
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: media_player.borsa_mini
    to: idle
  condition: []
  action:
  - choose:
    - conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: input_boolean.folder_muzica1
        state: 'on'
      sequence:
      - event: script.muzica_folder1
        event_data: {}
    - conditions:
        entity_id: input_boolean.folder_muzica2
      sequence:
      - event: script.folder_muzica2
    - conditions:
        entity_id: input_boolean.folder_muzica3
      sequence:
      - event: script.folder_muzica3
    - conditions:
        entity_id: input_boolean.radio_impuls
      sequence:
      - event: script.radio_impuls
    - conditions:
        entity_id: input_boolean.90s_radio
      sequence:
      - event: script.90s_radio
    - conditions:
        entity_id: input_boolean.radio_renasterea
      sequence:
      - event: script.radio_renasterea
    default: []

scripts.yaml

# this you already have; i would avise to name the folders the same and indexing 01, 02... that way the media content id format does not change for 100 folders that can be shaed. the name of the folder can be defined on the radio button level
#PLAY RANDOM FOLDER MUZICA1
folder_muzica1:
  alias: Folder_muzica1
  sequence:
  - service: script.citire_folder_muzica1
    data:
#corecteaza numarul in functie de numarul de caractere al caii catre folder
      track: '{{ media_content_id[33:] }}' 
  icon: mdi:music
  variables:
    media_content_id: '{{ state_attr(''sensor.folder_muzica1'', ''file_list'')|random }}'

#PREGATIRE FOLDER MUZICA1
citire_folder_muzica1:
  alias: Citire_folder_muzica1
  sequence:
  - service: media_player.play_media
    data:
      media_content_id: http://192.168.33.163:8123/local/media/folder_muzica1/{{ track }}
      media_content_type: audio/mp3
      entity_id: '{{ player }}'
  variables:
    track: <DEFAULT FILE>
    player: media_player.borsa_mini

#PLAY RANDOM FOLDER MUZICA2
folder_muzica2:
  alias: Folder_muzica2
  sequence:
  - service: script.citire_folder_muzica2
    data:
#corecteaza numarul in functie de numarul de caractere al caii catre folder
      track: '{{ media_content_id[33:] }}'
  variables:
    media_content_id: '{{ state_attr(''sensor.folder_muzica2'', ''file_list'')|random }}'

#PREGATIRE FOLDER MUZICA2
citire_folder_muzica2:
  alias: Citire_folder_muzica2
  sequence:
  - service: media_player.play_media
    data:
      media_content_id: http://192.168.33.163:8123/local/media/folder_muzica2/{{ track }}
      media_content_type: audio/mp3
      entity_id: '{{ player }}'
  variables:
    track: <DEFAULT FILE>
    player: media_player.borsa_mini

#script for the play/random button(script) to play from the selected folder by the radio button
buton_play:
  alias: buton_play
  sequence:
  - service: >
        {% if is_state("input_boolean.folder_muzica1", "on" ) %} script.folder_muzica1
        {% elif is_state("input_boolean.folder_muzica2", "on" ) %} script.folder_muzica2
        {% elif is_state("input_boolean.folder_muzica3", "on" ) %} script.folder_muzica3
        {% elif is_state("input_boolean.radio_impuls", "on" ) %} script.radio_impuls
        {% elif is_state("input_boolean.90s_radio", "on" ) %} script.90s_radio
        {% elif is_state("input_boolean.radio_renasterea", "on" ) %} script.radio_renasterea
        {% endif %}
    data_template:
      entity_id: media_player.borsa_mini
      media_content_type: audio

that should be itā€¦

1 Like

Thank you so much!
I will try to implement this into my setup and see how I can use lovelace, maybe with a dropdown.
I saw your comment about naming the folders, but Iā€™m still having problems with changing the path where the folders will reside. Thanks again :slight_smile:

You do not need a dropdown in lovelace. You need an entities group inwhich you put the booleans. The automation does the magic of switching of all the others when one is chosen.
If you want a dropdown list then you will need to define the content of that list into input.select.yaml

As for the folder names, please check that the media dirs are defined once up to the media level. The sensors for the folders will then be giving the path to each folder independently.

I hope it helps.

1 Like