Improve Scene editor, allow scene edits without setting devices' states

“The Principle of Least Surprise” helped Apple grow to success with their products.

Now, I’m no fan of Apple, but nonetheless they did do some very smart things, and that is one of them.
Please give careful consideration to making the scene editor also not unpleasantly surprise anyone, by including the option of choosing whether to edit ‘live’ or ‘on-screen’.

3 Likes

More votes please people! Let’s get this one recognised

2 Likes

This is an issue for me as well. It annoys the family to no end when making any configuration changes to scenes.

3 Likes

I am here also to state the obvious of why this isn’t a thing after 2 years. I mean, c’mon… how is this not seen as legitimate??? Scenes are basically useless for me because there is no state management, so you never know what is stored vs what device state is. Terrible design decision on this.

4 Likes

We need more votes on this!

1 Like

Fully agree. My idea: let’s all put comments with a link to this thread under every subsequent HA release blog post until the guys will notice. I’m not sure if they are aware of this being an issue.

1 Like

Tried the scenes just now. Totally baffled that it requires turning the devices on… It is useless in this state.

+1 vote

3 Likes

I agree, and this looks more like a bug than the intenitional way it should work: There is and Edit button (the pen, on the right) and a Play button (the triangle, on the left) As it is it does not make sense IMO.
I’m new and am not familiar with bug reporting in HA (has it been reported as a bug?), but if > 110 signatures on a feature request will not change anything, maybe it should be reported as bug.
I can write scrips if forced to, but want my system to be maintable by by people who cannot write scripts.

2 Likes

I’ve been dealing with this for years, and can’t believe it’s still broken. It’s manageable, but I would really like to not have to change states to configure a scene.

1 Like

Gee wiz batman. I have a scene called SLEEP that turns my computer monitors off when I ask them to.
When I go to edit ithe Scene my monitors turn off and I have to turn them on some other way because I am now blind. Would be nice if it didn’t do this. Love your work ! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Please we really need this, I have an ALL_OFF scene which turns off the PS4 and TV and every time i go to edit the scene (say, to add a new light globe) i forget and turn off the PS4 while my SO is playing :sweat_smile:, REALLY need this feature, haha :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for this feature and I also voted. Editing scenes late at night to set the system up, and it turns on the lights - that makes for unhappy family.

The UX design was not done by someone with a family.

2 Likes

Any News here? Please make the Editor so,that we can change the state without live Staates.

1 Like

After turning all the lights on in the house and other items at 3 am just to look at a scene has made me move to using scripts. Too bad because i’ll miss some of hte other functionality that scenes gives us. This is really poor to execute scenes just by looking at that.

1 Like

I totally agree with this request. The scene editor is awesome, but as a quite new HA user the instant activation was not what I expected. I couldn’t understand why my lights sometimes looks like they went crazy then I found them in wrong conditions. It took some time to figure it out that scene editing was the reason…
I think the play button and the pen are perfect - if they behaves like what I think is expected by a majority: Edit with the pen and test it with the play button, just like the way the automations works.

2 Likes

Agree and upvote this. Really dont like that my lights and other devices are activated when editing the scene.

Add my vote for this as well. The current approach is horrible for anything other than editing a scene while in the room looking at the results. That should definitely be via a “preview” button. In addition, I really want the scene editor not to drag in all the entities in a device when an entity gets added. If you want all the entities in the device, add the device. But I don’t want my fan state impacted by my lighting scene just because the light in the fan/light is shown as the same device. That’s nuts.

1 Like

It’s somewhat ridiculous that this “feature” hasn’t been implemented. Since over 3 years we are now waiting for this. It was a mistake from the very beginning to make something “activate” as soon as you are editing it. Editing has nothing to do with activating. I can understand that some people in some scenarios can see this as usefull, but normally, when I want to edit a scene, I don’t want my lights go out/on, my TV/radio going crazy and my coffee-machine doing some stuff. That’s just against common sense.
What else do we need to do aside from voting this dummy-reauest here, if nothing happens and we don’t even get a discussion started from the devs?
This is crazy…

1 Like

There’s 1000’s of developers and no one has wanted to add it. Spark someone’s interest and they may add it. That’s how feature requests work. Feature request goes up, someone looks at it and says “Hey I want that too, I’ll add it” and the rest is history. Turns out that no developers have wanted to add this yet. So be patient and wait for the feature to get implemented or take matters into your own hands and implement it yourself.

How would one actually do this though? Sending DMs to random developers active in the community doesn’t seem to be a pleasant approach.

Continuing the discussion and voting seem to be the appropriate response.

1 Like