In development: LG SmartThinQ component

Weird, I met some Korean guys at a local Korean BBQ joint before the last lockdown, and they told me exactly the opposite.

But in any case, personal anecdotes about reliability wont add much value to the discussion here, especially as this thread is about HA integration, while on the other hand the complete fail of LG to provide an open API (as opposed to Samsung who have shown it can be done) is a sad fact.

1 Like

Hello,
I currently have LG washer/dryer combo (1 unit)
I installed smartthinq_sensors from ollo69. Detected it as a washer in HA and working great.
But, as my device is combo, what can I do for detecting it as a dryer also?

I also have a combo washer/dryer (WM3998HBA). Is there any near-term plan to get support for this? Presumably I could modify the washer sensor code to include the dryer entities as well?

It would also be fantastic to get energy usage data. That’s actually the main reason I wanted my washer/dryer integrated…

So… trying to summarize the whole thread, let’s see if I got it all right:

• @samps wrote a great component and inner library that worked at that time and got improved by others, including support to other devices and other fixes
  • some forks got lost in the way and there are other versions of the original code that support different countries and devices, and it seems it was hard to merge them all together
  • one of those forks are from @ollo69, which ended up in HACS, and this seems to be the main version nowadays. It’s not worth trying the other forks.
  • then LG launches an updated API and the main code stops working with the updated devices, which are mostly ACs. Washing machines/dryers still work, though (mine seems to!)
  • it seems current work is slow (winter + covid + life) and scattered among many members:

Is it correct to assume the main and only live Integration is Ollo’s from HACS?
What’s needed nowadays to help out getting ACs into the Integration?

And, what would be necessary to maybe get help from upstream, the developers of other integrations, to get this running and maybe make it official?

3 Likes

Seems about right, I have a new Australian LG ducted system installed late October 2020. The HACs integration doesn’t show any devices :frowning:

I’m happy to supply whatever I need to hopefully get it working with Home Assistant but as for now I’ve just been using the LG app

1 Like

I have to share here what else have I found. I found a work around for this stale mate.

TL:DR - This isn’t perfect and Homekit controler seems to have trouble exposing all the HVAC machines Homebridges is connected to.

I actually use Homebridge as a translator for multiple things so they show up at my Homekit app on my Apple iPhone. I then share this things in the simplified interface with my family iPhones. This allows me to use Siri, which I considerer a better interperter for my voice commands. (My experience with Google Android didn’t went that well. End of subject)

1. Go to Supervisor and install Portainer add on. Make sure you disable protection mode for this add on and wait for it to start.
  2. Add Homebridge to Portainer as per @thecem post here.
  3. Go to your Homeassistant internal URL at the port 8581 (http://myinternalhomeassistant:8571/). Enter user admin and password admin (Change this later).
  4. At the top bar, choose the Plugin menu.
  5. Search for homebridge-lg-thinq-ac at the plugin management page. This is a Homebrigde plugin to connect ia LG Thinq V2.
  6. Follow the instructions for homebridge-lg-thinq-ac, entering the country code and language configuration in the plugin configuration. Ignore the URL fields by now. You need to restart Homebridge for them to show the correct information (I know. this seems dumb)
  7. Restart Homebridge.
  8. Go back to the homebridge-lg-thinq-ac plugin at Homebridge and get the URL to authenticate over at LG Api v2. Wait for the redirect and get the authentication URL.
  9. Go back to the homebridge-lg-thinq-ac plugin at Homebridge and paste the URL. (Yes! You need to restart Homebidge AGAIN!)
  10. (By now you guessed what comes next) Add Homekit controler to your Home-assistant integrations.
  11. Add the Homebridge hub to the Homekit controller… et voilá. You have it.

But not yet! Unfortunately, even if this works great for my iPhone if I pair the Homebridge with my Homekit app, the Homekit controler seems to have trouble exposing my multiple HVAC internal machines or get commands correctly sent to LG API thing.

Any way, the all thing works great in the iPhone with HomeKit app.

1 Like

Big cheer to MacXatu :+1: This workaround works.

So I’ve worked through the Readme on Samsyo’s Github and it all seemed to install ok, but when I try to input the information into Configuration.yaml and reboot I get an “Component error: smartthinq_sensor - Integration ‘smartthinq’ not found.” error.

Below is the entry I added to configuration.yaml

#Smartthinq
smartthinq:
 token: [redacted]
 region: ca
 language: en-us

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robert

Watch out for gaps

#Smartthinq
smartthinq:
  token: [redacted]
  region: ca
  language: en-US

I adjusted the entry but still get the error :Component error: smartthinq - Integration ‘smartthinq’ not found.:

Also posting in here in case someone can help:
This fork of the component works for v2 devices:

Is based on both @no2chem (hass-smarthinq v2) component @ollo69 (wideq v2) library versions

HOWEVER: If you have mixed v1 and v2 devices it might break you setup. I installed this fork and tried to keep the original component but seems that there is only one wideq version possible so there are issues in one or the other.

If somebody knows how to keep both wideq versions to co-exist so we can use both components at the same time please let me know!

Discussion also in LG Smartthinq Air Conditioning - #180 by adrianrdzv

2 Likes

don’t get your hopes up if you were having issues before the marcio probably won’t help get the same errors as before and won’t load proper

Boiiiiiii!!! This works, finally after months I can see my LG aircon in home assistant.
It’s still not 100% because I cant get current temp and stuff but I can adjust temp and change modes.

@jimmyleet head over to GitHub and pop it into an issue :slight_smile:

If you go and check your HA logs, I have a suspicion of what it may be, but can try help if you post any relevant errors over there.

@davewatson91 Do you have any idea on why my v2 devices can’t be controlled?

1 Like

I tried this v2 and I very happy because my LG AC was integrated :slight_smile:

Thanks

1 Like

So now my LG HVAC on api2 is finally working, does anyone know how we might get my zone motors to open/close via the api as well? I can control which rooms are open/closed from the LG app just in the “Zone” section.

Was just planning to put sensors in certain rooms and perhaps control the flow a bit :slight_smile:

Hi.

I see many query on eic.lgthinq.com, several per minutes (every 30 seconds?), on my pihole logs. Is it normal? Can’t it be lowered to something to one ping each each 5 minutes? Or only when one of the appliance is active?

My old washer dryer finally died (:partying_face:) which means I can now justify a smart replacement lol. Had a LG FWV685WSE washer dryer delivered, installed ollo69’s component from HACs according to instructions and everything worked first time. Thanks to everyone involved!

Hi.
today I tried to integrate my LG washing maschine into HA. Therefore I wanted to use GitHub - ollo69/ha-smartthinq-sensors: Home Assistant custom integration for SmartThinQ LG devices configurable with Lovelace User Interface.

For installation I have choosen Option B: Manually installation (custom_component), because I couldn’t find SmartThinQ LGE Sensors in the Integration tab. After that I rebooted HA. For the configuration I want to use the Option A: Configuration using the web UI [recommended]. But again, I can not add SmartThinQ LGE Sensors as a new integration. What I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like