Individual energy usage is erratic!

For some kind of strange reasons, my Energy usage stats for individual devices are WAY OFF. I have noticed that specially when I checked the Monthly Usage. As you can see in the first screenshot, the Daily Usage is OK, but when i check the whole September month, I see erratic data. Like I have used a total of 256KWh, but one device actually used 2104.59kWh. How is that possible? Also, checked August month, and I see another device (one that actually is a low consumption one), using 681624.67kWh! That’s crazy, the total monthly consumption for all is 666kWh!

What in the world is going on? How can I fix this?

I found some really strange spikes in the individual power consumption. I will post just one example, but it seems to happen to random power plugs. For example, in here you can see the biggest power consumption on August showing some strange spike for 671105.41kWh. But if I look at the consumption on that plug, it looks fine. It only shows a total of 16.96 kWh. So, what’s going on here?

What is ikely going on is that your power plugs are losing connection to Home Assistant, and when they do they are reporting a state of 0 instead of unavailable.

So the state goes 671105.41 → 0 then 0 → 671105.41 when the connection is restored. The 0 → 671105.41kWh is the step that is being recorded.

Transitioning from 671105.41 → unavailable → 671105.41 does not cause this issue.

Which integration are you using to connect to your power plugs and are you using templates or value_templates?

BTW, you can edit out these spikes in Developer Tools → Statistics by clicking on the ramp icon next to the entity and going to the time and date they occur and replacing the faulty data with an average from the readings either side.

1 Like

Thank you so much tom_I. The Developer Tools - Statistics, really helped me.
Unfortunately, I have noticed now that those spikes happen to more than 20-30 devices. Randomly, thousands of kWh added.

Most of my plugs are Fibaro ones, using the Z-Wave JS to MQTT Add-on. No, I don’t use any templates or value_templates. Can you please let me know how can I fix this? I don’t think the plugs are the issue, as they worked for years on my old Fibaro Home Center 2.

Thanks again!

Show me a close up graph (limited time range in the History Explorer tab) of your plug’s consumption in W or kW at the time the spike occurs in energy (kWh).

1 Like

Sure thing. Here are 3 different plugs. All on Zwave.

Sorry, I meant graphs of one plug, showing the spike in energy and the consumption in watts of the same plug at that time.

All those appear to be different plugs at different times.

So like this (but a close up of the time the spike occurs)

1 Like

Sorry, I think I misunderstood. Here are two different devices that spike.
Seems like they act completely different.

There is something very wrong with the energy reporting from your plugs. It should look like this according to the power used (not to scale):

Indeed, it’s very strange. Also, I have noticed that the spike is going up, and sometimes they are just falling. Something that should never happen, as the kWh is only an increasing value, it should not EVER go below the past value (unless you reset it).

As you can see from one device, it’s measuring correctly until it gets to that point where the scale is completely broken. Probably because the value is too high or too low for the graph to shown those small increments?

Is there anything I could do?

Something just doesn’t compute right in there. I mean, how is it possible for the TOTAL energy usage to be shown as 21.6kWh for today, while for INDIVIDUAL devices to give me just one device that used more than that, exactly 167.5kWh?!?

Here is your issue:

This should only ever increase if it was a true energy meter. Every time it goes from the low value back to the normal level it adds all that to the energy dashboard.

And how can I fix those spikes? Sorry to repeat myself, but this never happened in Fibaro, only since I moved to HA.

You could open a new issue for Z-Wave JS to MQTT for your device here: Issues · hassio-addons/addon-zwave-js-ui · GitHub

And/or do this:

I also experience these issues. The problem seems to be particularly prominent with the Aeotec (Aeotec Heavy Duty Smart Switch Gen5 – Aeotec Store) heavy duty switches. I have several of these connected to my Fibaro Home Centre 2 (HC2) zWave gateway. The integration between HC2 and HA is via the HA Fibaro Integration.

I currently correct these anomalies with the “Statistics Adjustment”. Is there a better way to address this problem?

I am having this same issue with several different devices. Here is one weeks worth of corrections I’ve needed to make. I’d be more than happy to provide any additional info to help track down and resolve this issue.

Energy Readings