Inexpensive Smart Light Bulbs compatible w/ Home Assistant

If you do really want colour lights rather than Stephen’s very valid comment, then check out:

The good thing with using smart switches and dumb lights is they will still work if HA is down, plus you don’t have to worry about people turning off power to the smart lights accidentally. I only use smart lights where I want colour and smart dimmers elsewhere.

I have some Wiz light bulbs on the front of my house. There is a native Wiz integration in HA, so they work local. I have a script that changes the color of the bulbs depending on the time of year, so right now they are red and green, but they will be pink for Valentine’s Day, green for St. Patrick’s Day, and red, white, and blue for Independence Day. You do need to use the Wiz app to connect the bulbs to your WiFi network, but you don’t need to create an account or connect the bulbs to their cloud service. Wiz is part of Signify, which also owns & makes Philips Hue bulbs. I bought my bulbs at Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WIZ-60-Watt-Equivalent-A19-Dimmable-Smart-LED-Color-and-Tunable-White-Wi-Fi-Connected-Light-Bulb-IZ20126081/318911715

I’ve got two Wiz bulbs but I have been having a lot of trouble with them dropping off my wifi and requiring a reboot. Lately it has been almost every day.

I’ve read the same thing elsewhere, but never really experienced it myself. I also never read anything about why this happens. (Bad production run of bulbs? Incompatibility between bulbs and WiFi router? Something else? Who knows!)

I use the OG Google WiFi mesh for my network, and they stay connected pretty well. About every month or two, one of the four bulbs I have will drop off the network. I have an automation that gets triggered when one of these bulbs becomes unavailable, so it turns off the relay in a Shelly, waits 15 seconds, then turns the relay back on. So far, this has worked well and I’m satisfied.

I did look into it initially and the solution was to lock them to an access point (I use Ubiquiti with 3 AP’s) as well as turn on/off some other setting for them in the router (I can’t remember exactly what that was) and this seemed to fix them for a few months, but lately they have gone bad again.

I bought 4 Kauf wifi bulbs, they worked great and were easy to use but after 4 weeks all of them have failed! I’m about to return them, so I’m looking for other tasmota ESP32 based wifi bulbs - with a dimmer, and preferably with RGB.

There are or were also issues with Athom bulbs too:

site:community.home-assistant.io athom bulb fail

A dimmer is really nice since LED bulbs can’t really be dimmed using a normal “dimmer” switch.

I had some Kauf bulbs with RGB, and using the bluish color for dimmed back lighting to watch the big or little screen is really nice. It’s also nice as a sort of night light or if getting up before sunrise.

Really?

bulb-phillips5
bulb-phillips6

1 Like

Yeah you’re right that was an exaggeration: I was thinking of the older LED “dimmable” bulbs and I meant they don’t dim nearly as well as incandescent bulbs - I have some of the recent ones and and yes I can dim them pretty well with the right dimmer switch installed.

In any case, being able to remotely dim lights and colors is quite nice to have. Once I find some reliable ones I’ll be buying some more.

Oh and for RGBWW you can modify the temperature color and still get very bright lights.

Holy PAR Batman! They are selling PAR E27 13W 1300 lm RGBCW bulbs for a dollar each :bulb:That’s Nuts :peanuts: ! :grinning:

Who are “They”?

Back track on who I replied to.

Waiting for my 100 bulbs to arrive, oh boy I’m gonna be in trouble :shushing_face:

Does anyone know which chipset these lights use?

Might need to make a jig to flash each one if you’re getting the whole lot

Yea, I have some work to do… however since I’m pretty sure I will be banished to the dog house I will have plenty of time. :dog: :hut: :grinning:

Did you try Tuya-Convert on your models? There seem so be some some reference that these SB53’s are esp826x based.

There seems to be some references that the SB53 PAR bulbs are esp826x based and run tasmota find. Whether, a physical flashing will be required is something I have yet to learn. Would be nice of Tuya-convert worked on these. I will give you and update when they arrive and I have a little time to explore.

Info on a similar bulb:

and on the SB53 will older Tasmota, however does not point to how they flashed.

Tuya convert doesn’t work
It’s esp8266 and you can use test probe clips to flash

1 Like

I like the idea of dumb downlights that are dimmable that can work with a zigbee dimmer.

Any tips on what kind of downlights work with zigbee dimmers and what kind of zigbee dimmers I should get? Is it just any zigbee light dimmer that would allow you to dim the power sent to the light? I really only care about controlling the brightness.

1 Like

I am in exactly the same boat. I am happy to use a dimmable dumb bulb, but would love a ZigBee smart dimmer socket to control it.

This is the path I’m going down.

Dimmers led downlight (dumb ) and smart zigbee dimmer from ikuu. Going to do a few tests over the next few months to see which one works best