Initial questions from a beginner

I’d have to agree here, I have an HUSBZB-1… it was my replacement for a Wink Hub way back in my early HA days… while it has served me well I recently moved my Zigbee stuff to a new Sonoff USB 3.0 Dongle (CC2652P) and Zigbee2MQTT and I am literally blown away by the speed difference… and while I haven’t really had any connectivity issues with my HUSBZB-1, I also have a pretty dense Zigbee mesh… clicking a switch in HA or even when telling Alexa to turn on a light the speed is easily double what it was. I don’t know enough about the chipsets to tell you why that is exactly or if that is mostly from Zigbee2MQTT but I will say you would be doing yourself a disservice to start with an HUSBZB-1 (good solid stick, but if you are just buying now, I wouldn’t go that route)… as for the Z-Wave part, Im considering either the Aeotec GEN7 or the Zooz one (I have a couple Zooz plugs and relays I am pretty happy with) I think but am trying to do a little more research as far as that goes… (anyone with any insight on the Z-wave sticks please fill me in)

1 Like

Thanks very much for this - all starting to make sense, now.

I think I am going to go down the Zigbee2MQTT route and note that this seems to be getting good reviews:

Unfortunately, it is out of stock until the end of November.

Is it worth waiting until then or is there anything else worth considering?

Any adapter you can get based on the cc2652 chip should work well with zigbee2mqtt. Check out this list to see if any are available.

1 Like

Thanks very much - I shall see what is available.

There seem to be a shortage of components, generally, at the moment - making things a bit difficult to source.

I note that none of the adapters (other than the Cronbee 2) are available directly from the UK.

Not a problem, but why is that?

Electrolama (zzh) is UK based

And the TI launchpads ship from the UK too.

1 Like

Well spotted - thanks for that.

Am going to order one, now, as I am desperate to try and get something up and running.

The zzh is what I use. Was shipped to me in US from the UK relatively quickly and works very well.

1 Like

Thanks, Tim - really good to hear.

Just need to be patient, now, so I can get tinkering!