Inkbird/Engbird Thermometer and Hygrometer sensor. Need help trying to add them to HA

Have I understood this correctly? As long as the HA platform has built in bluetooth or a BT adapter you only need the IBS-TH2 sensor and not the Inkbird gateway (IBS-M1) as well? I have ordered the Odroid N2+ Blue and am planning to combine it with a bluetooth adapter like the TP-link UB400 which according to others should be plug and play.

Edit 27. Sept: Forget it! Found out now that the gateway IBS-M1 does NOT support the IBS-TH2, so there is no InkBird gateway for the TH2.

I was successful in getting this up and running.
Set up
Raspberry PI 4
HA 6.5
Inkbird IBS-TH2
I used the code from mike0xt, with the modification to the manifest.json file.
First, you should download the App and pair the sensor to your phone so you can capture the MAC address.
While your copping mike0xt files via SSH pair your Bluetooth device via the bluetoothctl cmd as follows
bluetoothctl scan on
bluetoothctl pair FC:69:47:7C:9D:A3 ← replace with your sensor MAC address
bluetoothctl trust FC:69:47:7C:9D:A3 ← replace with your sensor MAC address

I had to reboot the Host in order to get the config to accept the configuration.yaml edits.

Did you get errors before rebooting?

Platform error sensor.inkbird - Integration ‘inkbird’ not found.

Do you have more details on what you did to get this to work?

Is there any way to use this code along with a BLE bridge (ESP32 with Esphome)?

For information Openmqttgateway support Inkbird sensors out of the box with an ESP32.

You can upload to the esp32 through the web installer below.
https://docs.openmqttgateway.com/upload/web-install.html

The sensors will be auto-discovered :

If you are using a Raspberry Pi, Windows, or a server on Linux you can use this:
https://theengs.github.io/gateway

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

I ended up returning all the IBS-TH2 as 3 out of 4 of them randomly died in the 2 weeks I had them for some reason. That didn’t instill much confidence in them.

BLE monitor is now supporting Inkbird IBS-TH1/2, iBBQ-2 and iBBQ-4 sensors.

2 Likes

Interesting, were you using those in a particular environment?

Nope. Just sitting in my garage which never got below 40 degrees F. Tried fresh batteries (checked them too with my volt meter) and couldn’t get them to show up in the Engbird app or see the BT Mac address in the ESP32 logs. I have a govee currently in an egg incubator that’s been working great with Esphome/HA and will probably get a few more of them though I had wanted the Inkbirds since they use AAA batteries.

Govee H5072 and LYWSDCGQ use AAA battery also but have a display.

By the way, the egg incubator is an interesting use case.

1 Like

Thanks again.

It’s been working great in the incubator since the incubator’s built-in humidity sensor is bunk. I use HA helpers to set high/low parameters to keep on eye on things and then notify me if they go above or below.

1 Like