Inkbird IBS-M1 with IBS-P01

ESPhome component for Inkbird IBS-TH1 works perfectly with IBS-P01, its more easy way instead of local tuya.

can you elaborate? do I need to flash the thing?

You need esphome plugin on yr instance, and flash esp8266/32, flashin perhaps in few friendly steps, more information u can got via esphome inkbird search on official esphome page.
Also it works locally, without any clouds.

Donā€™t see anything about the M1 gateway or P01. What I have is working perfectly but always looking for options

1 Like

Can you elaborate more? I checked ESPhome page but not quite undestood what Iā€™m gonna need to make it working with ESPHOME. You need a BLE tracker device to listen to it? What do you use?

That could be a little misleading when we are talking about the IBS-M1 which is a gateway that connects to your wifi and then polls information on up to 4 different sensor devices using bluetooth.

When you suggest esp flashing, you are ignoring the IBS-M1 which is in the title of this thread.

In my case for example, the IBS-P01 is the only temperature sensor bluetooth device I have setup in Home Assistant.
Why would I consider a bluetooth adapter when I already have the IBS-M1 Gateway talking to it via bluetooth?

Local Tuya also works without clouds once you get the local key. Thats why its called Local Tuya.

Edit: found a better image

Ble tracker is an option, that you use when u flashin firmware to yr esp32.

Im my case i prefer diy sensors on esp/another zigbee sensors, pool sensor is pnp solution to place in pool, that i need to control heating. Due to fact that i dont need an account in tuya, sniffers etc. and i already have an esp- esphome for me is better and an easer way to have data from ibs-p01

Yeah, but Iā€™m trying to understand what youā€™re actually doing. I donā€™t have the sensors yet so Iā€™m gathering what do I need to buy to get this working with ESPhome. I like esphome solutions too.

1- So my understanding is you have a ESP based platform (like a d1 mini or so) that has BLE tracker enabled and listens to the IBS-P01R-O ?
2- You only needed to flash the d1 mini or did you have to change anything on the IBS-p01R ?
3- Or is something else Iā€™m not seeing?

1.you need esp ha installed plugin
2.you need esp chip or plate or devkit(such as wemos d1, esp 8266, esp32), i think in yr case the better way is devkit(devkit means that all you need to use it is usb cable, all necessary infrastructure are already on plate), due to reason yr dont need any special skills to make it works
3 step- u make a configuration via esphome plugin in ha
4 you need a little manual tuning of this config, also there in esphome plugin
5 you flash yr config to esp devkit via esphome plugin
6 done (not quite, but in the most cases), in case of inkbird intergration, at that step you need to sniff bt mac addres of yr inkbird sensor and insert it in yr esp custom configuration as per step 4, there is very good describe on the esphome inkbird plugin page
7. Yr flashing to devkit yr updated firmware and enjoy.
8. Now it really done

In case of esp, u can add more then one bt sensor, also you can add some xiaomi bt sensors, or use bare sensors such as ds18 or any others. All data will be transferred to ha via mqtt integration

How is this way more easier than local tuya?
I need to buy a chip or plate or dev kit?
No thanks, Iā€™ll make do with what I have.

How many steps and devices you need to use local tuya? At least you need buy hub, you need to get local key, you need to configure integration.
In case of esp you need 2-3eur devkit and flash it. After that you can use it directly with ble tracker option, with these tuya and non tuya sensors standlone at one time, also esp can host micro webserver, which you can open in yr locale by ip and view like web page with all data.

Im sure that its easy and useful. And if you need a pool temperature sensor, you need to buy it without any hubs or something else.
Its a same way like z2m, when you can get lot of zigbee sensors/devises from many vendors, and you dont need to get hub from each, yr using one universal solution.

1 Like

Much like everyone else in this thread, I bought pool thermometer and hub together in the same box.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/224214490935

This was before I even knew what home assistant was, so it was a good stand alone solution at the time.

Now that I have discovered home assistant, I am happy that I am able to continue to make use of the ibs-m1 that I already paid for by doing the steps I have shown.

Given that the subject mentions both devices and even the first post says the following, it is clear that most people here also have both devices too.

Why would we buy a dev kit, and an extra Bluetooth adapter for home assistant when we already have the IBS-M1 gateway that essentially does the same thing?

Also, my ibs-m1 gateway is able to be positioned much closer to the pool than my home assistant server can be. My ibs-m1 gateway just needs to be within wifi range which can travel much further than Bluetooth.

It seems you dont need, but i hope many people do, which will google that sensor and ha and find that native tuya hub isnt only solution.
Also im not understanding the question about position of ha and the pool. Esp provides you wifi to bt/ble gate, that connects to ha via wifi network. In my case it is placed in pools pump room in garage, and ha instance is in server room at main house. Esp powers via any old phone charger with micro usb, 5v and about 300ma consumption.
In addition, i can said that there you can buy esp with external antenna that can drammatically extends the possible range of the wifi coverage.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I have plenty of sensors here using esphome, so Iā€™m not completly new to it. I was just trying to understand the scenario for the inkbird sensor, but I get it now: youā€™re using an esphome device to sniff the BT from the Inkbird pool sensor!

Really awesome, Iā€™ll try it myself here. thank you!!

yes, esp transfer temp value to ha, and ha decide when to power on filtering station and when the heating or something else.

@pr0phe I got the ibs-p02 version. Did you manage to find out the mac address using the ble_tracker easily? I couldnā€™t find an address that is Public neither with name = ā€˜spsā€™ā€¦ I donā€™t know if itā€™s this p02 version or something else.

Forget itā€¦ just saw that I got radio version. Not bluetooth!

Ibs-p02 works on 433mhz, it is not bt.

Hey all
Iā€™ve been running this for awhile now and havenā€™t had any issues except that it seems to poll the data way too often (every second or so) and I get weird variations in the data.
Anyone know how to change the polling? Might help with battery life also, right now it looks like the battery will last 1 year.
Thanks