Inovelli Z-Wave Red Series Notification LED

Passing the model type to the script seems like a pretty good way to go as long as Inovelli doesn’t change the parameters in a future generation. It’s easy to add to existing automations and should work for both the integrated Z-wave and open Z-wave beta. Hopefully we’ll be able to read the model number in some future release of OZW. I can think of a few other use cases.

1 Like

Agreed. We could probably update it to use the actual model number if we wanted to be sure new models didn’t collide. Just got done updating to 0.115.1 so I’ll see if I can tweak @BrianHanifin’s version and post it later if nobody gets it first.

Update #2: I’ve created a follow-up article on my blog which explains these code improvements section by section.

Update: a half hour after posting I realized what the “Type” parameter was and that I didn’t need it if we are just going to pass a model: combo_fan, so removed it. The model variable is just there to set defaults In fact, the Z-Wave version won’t have to pass anything unless you are specifically targeting the fan light, as it defaults to combo_light for the LZW36.

Here is the latest revision. This adds a “model” parameter which now supports all 4 parameter numbers. Here is an example service call to my dimmer:

- service: script.inovelli_led
  data:
    entity_id: light.family_room
    model: dimmer
    color: purple
    duration: 10 seconds
    effect: blink
2 Likes

Thanks for this. Interestingly, after this update, the previous problem of not being able to call this service repeatedly disappeared! It now works for me every time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for all your work on this! Fantastic stuff! Love this community.

1 Like

I created a separate script which sets the default LED color, as well as the on and off
brightness levels. The following example sets the color to pink, sets the on level to full brightness (10) and the off level to 0 (off).

This uses the techniques shared by @kschlichter. Thank you for the additional contribution Kevin! I decided separating this out into a new script made more sense to my brain.

- service: script.inovelli_led_set_defaults
  data:
   entity_id: light.family_room
   color: pink
   level_on: 10
   level_off: 0
2 Likes

thanks for the script! It works great on all my inovelli devices.
Just FYI, the fan/light devices only support also a white color. I used to be able to set it through my smarthings account. Maybe at some point you can add it to your script! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whew, finally got this set up. It’s a bit confusing as someone who’s somewhat competent in home Assistant but still new.

The issue I had is that I’ve used the UI to set up some scripts that I don’t want to break but it’s all but impossible to have HA look for both a scripts.yaml folder with your UI scripts and your separate inovelli_led.yaml folder. So here’s what I ended up doing after spending a lot of time on it.

1. Set up a scripts folder in your main home Assistant root directory.
  2. Copy your scripts.yaml file and put it in your scripts folder (you don’t need to delete the original).
  3. Make a inovelli_led.yaml folder and copy the script provided by Brian. Put a name such as inovelli_led: at the beginning of the file.
  4. Add to your configuration.yaml file: script: !include_dir_merge_named scripts
  5. Reload home Assistant and you should see everything in scripts. In the future when you create a script through the UI you will have to copy it from the scripts.yaml file in your root directory to the one in the scripts folder. It will no longer read your original scripts.yaml file.

There’s probably a niftier way to do this using packages but that’s the way that worked for me.

2 Likes

Thanks @codeblue11. Quick question, regarding step 3. This new inovelli_led.yaml folder and it’s scripts from Brian go into the new scripts.yaml folder? Or in a separate folder?
For example,
a) config/scripts/invoelli_led.yaml/inovelli_led.yaml
or
b) config/inovelli_led.yaml/inovelli_led.yaml

I’m thinking it’s a) based on your instructions, but it’s not entirely clear.
Many thanks!

It goes in your new scripts folder.

In my case that’s: config/scripts/inovelli_led.yaml

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately for me, I’m getting an error when checking config.

Invalid config for [script]: [model] is an invalid option for [script]. Check: script->script->variables->model. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 16).

Thank line in config.yaml seems correct:
script: !include_dir_merge_named scripts

If you have another !include for scripts you need to delete it

Strange. I had the old include commented out. Deleted it, but same error.
Do I need to do anything other than paste Brian’s code in this file?

Edit: It must be something with the pasted data. If I blank out the inovelli_led.yaml file, everything works fine with the include in my config.

Add the following to the top of the file and remove the ---:

inovelli_led:
  mode: parallel
  (contents from github here)
2 Likes

Wow. Just wow. Can’t believe I missed that piece. 4 months in, noobness will never end.
Thanks

Based on his repo setup he likely !included'ed the file :wink:

1 Like

Hi all.
I’ve got this script working for single dimmer/switches, but can’t seem to get it to work on multiple at the same time. Probably a noob question and easy answer. For example, when messing around with Dev Tools / Service - this works:

entity_id: light.upstairs_hall_level
color: red
dimmer: "true"
effect: chase
level: 10

I figured I could create a couple of groups to separate out my dimmers from switches, and ended up with group.inovelli_dimmer and group.inovelli_switch - however calling this in the service as entity_id doesn’t work. So I abandoned that and tried to use multiple entities in the service call and still can’t get it to work. For example, the below service calls don’t work:

entity_id: group.inovelli_dimmer
entity_id: 
  light.upstairs_hall_level
  light.hallway_pot_level

I’ve been trying several combinations of entity_id and entities, with dashes, without dashes etc… Can the script not be used for making multiple Inovelli LED’s do the same thing? Why wouldn’t the grouped dimmers work?
Thanks!

Nope has to be done individually due to node_id lookups.

See previous answer.

Would it theoretically be possible to make this into an integration in HACS? I’m not too familiar with the process, so I figured I’d ask that first. Thanks in advance!

It wouldn’t be too hard to convert it into a service call. I don’t recall seeing packages/scripts as an option on HACS.